Contribute
Register

GC-ALPINE RIDGE in hands

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are not USB ports, but Thunderbolt 3 ports (which uses the same physical connector as USB C). TB 3 does support 5K, through passthrough of two embedded DisplayPport 1.2 signals. It is actually the only way to get 5K, at 60 Hz and 30bit color, as even DP 1.4 cannot do this in 30 bit.

Hi Tony, what kind of Mac have you set your "simulated system" in Clover? And what are your motherboard settings etc. I got my 5K Ultrafine working partially with an X99 system but now it does not work, and I'm considering switching to LGA 1151 instead. :)

Hi Tony , would you mind sharing the app for brightness control? :)

Was anyone able to make this card appear under THUNDERBOLT in System Profiler?
Precisely: make the connected Devices to this card appear under Thunderbolt within System Profiler.

all my connected devices are working good, but none of them appear under THUNDERBOLT entry in SP.
I have connected a CalDigit hub to my Hackintosh, which gives me additional Ethernetport (wich is listed under ETHERNET within System Profiler), additional USB3 ports (which are listed under USB in System Profiler) and additional AHCI-Port (which is listed under SATA/SATA Express within System Profiler) - all over Thunderbolt2.

But Thunderbolt Entry in System Profiler still tells me: "Thunderbolt: No drivers are loaded." <--- anyone got a fix for this?
I haven't tried making Thunderbolt devices appear in System Information.app. Have you looked at the new MacBookPro13,1 EFI device properties? Maybe there's a clue in there.
https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2016/11/02/macbookpro131-device-properties/

They are not USB ports, but Thunderbolt 3 ports (which uses the same physical connector as USB C). TB 3 does support 5K, through passthrough of two embedded DisplayPport 1.2 signals. It is actually the only way to get 5K, at 60 Hz and 30bit color, as even DP 1.4 cannot do this in 30 bit.

Hi Tony, what kind of Mac have you set your "simulated system" in Clover? And what are your motherboard settings etc. I got my 5K Ultrafine working partially with an X99 system but now it does not work, and I'm considering switching to LGA 1151 instead. :)

It's an iMac 17,1. I only have this running at 8-bit colour at full resolution, but I'm mostly in Xcode so that's fine by me.

I did try attaching two DP cables, but the system got really confused and tried to use them as separate displays. Is that working for you? I have a GeForce GTX 980 w/4Gb VRAM.

Hi Tony , would you mind sharing the app for brightness control? :)

Eventually, yep. Still a bit of work to go yet, but you can see a preview of the app icon in Marc's blog post about Mac app icon design.

Hi tony, I had full 5k @ 30bit 60hz working briefly, but it was kind of unstable, so I updated the firmware of the alpine ridge card, and now I also only get two Ultrafine displays in system settings.

I, however, cannot get 5k 24bit working through a single cable? How did you achieve this? Also did you do something special to get it booting as iMac 17.1? All the systems I've tried only boot as iMac 14.2 - I'm thinking this is maybe why I can't get 5k 24bit though a single cable?

I've switched to a gigabyte z270x gaming 5 motherboard and intel 7700k system instead, hoping this was more compatible than my x99 system, but no luck so far.

(I'm using a Nvidia GTX 1080 TI by the way)

Update: Strange now I get full usb control, hub, camera and speakers.

Screen Shot 2017-05-17 at 09.55.57.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-17 at 09.58.13.png

With both DP In connectors:
Screen Shot 2017-05-17 at 10.14.01.png

and the LG Ultrafine screen is simply black/off, caught the screenshot on a ordinary DisplayPort monitor

Discovered that I get full USB control, hub, speakers, webcam etc for the LG Ultrafine monitor by disabling Thunderbolt Security in the bios.

Last edited by a moderator:
Huh, that's great! Perhaps it's something fixed on the Z270 series? I have the GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5, and I've fiddled with all the options - no USB hub for me, just lots of "AppleUSBXHCIPort::powerOn: deadline passed (PORTSC 0x00000000)" and similar. Excellent that you got it all up and running, though!

Yes, but it would still be awesome to have 5k, maybe it's an Nvidia issue?

Sorry @janmansilver, I've no idea - I'm running via a GeForce GTX 980.

I got my USB working, albeit temporarily, by booting into Windows first, then rebooting (without powering down). The USB devices all showed up, brightness controls on my keyboard worked and then, about 10 minutes into using the system, they all disappeared and the power errors started showing up in the logs again.

Sorry @janmansilver, I've no idea - I'm running via a GeForce GTX 980.

I got my USB working, albeit temporarily, by booting into Windows first, then rebooting (without powering down). The USB devices all showed up, brightness controls on my keyboard worked and then, about 10 minutes into using the system, they all disappeared and the power errors started showing up in the logs again.
Disable sleep so that doesn't happen? Or it happened while you were typing stuff?

It happened while I was working. I have sleep disabled on this setup already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back