i7-3770K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
greetings. i use a KVM (keyboard/mouse only) to toggle between my OSX and win7 machines.

other than logitech, does anyone have recommendations (or personal experience) for a gaming keyboard and/or mouse that supports both OSX (basic) and windows (gaming)?

thanks.

-dh-

Yes, every single one that connects via USB.

Why wouldn't they work in OS X? Keyboards and mice are standard USB HID devices, so they're driverless.

I'd suggesting having a look at CM Storm, SteelSeries and maybe Razer if you blingly stuff and of course Corsair as well.

I have read that some gaming peripherals have issues with OSX compatibility if they require drivers to work. I was recently in the market for a keyboard and mouse and I read reviews of some people having compatibility issues with some mice that wouldn't track correctly in OSX. A lot of the issues could be corrected if you used the configuration program on a windows machine and assigned a profile with settings that would work for mac.

Here is some info I found in a review on Amazon that led me to buy my Xai
"I finally got this mouse to work with OSX by setting the "ExactRate" feature of the mouse to "125". Doing so gives the precision necessary when operating the mouse at slow speeds to avoid the jittering effect that most third-party mice have with OSX. Now I can say the mouse works totally fine with OSX. It took weeks of trying different mice and different mouse pads until I finally landed on this combination. If you can imagine my frustration as I tried to get third-party products to work with the new computer. In the end, it has to do with a very particular way that OSX communicates with mice. They support their settings and not much else."

I personally went full out SteelSeries and got a 7G mechanical keyboard, QcK mousepad, and Xai mouse.

Any USB mouse or keyboard SHOULD work with OSX and Windows, but worst case is that it wont work with OSX OOB and you will just have to configure it under windows first since most gaming peripherals dont come with an OSX config utility. Also there is a program called SteerMouse that will work on OSX to configure buttons and cursor speed on non supported mice.

I'm not sure if you read the OP's question, he's not looking at gaming under OS X, he just wants something that works.
I've used multiple mice from Logitech, CM Strom and one crappy one from TTGaming and never had any problems with them working as normal mice in OS X. Microsoft mice on the other hand, don't go there unless they specifically say that they're compatible with OS X.

"gaming peripheral" like a mouse with more than 3 buttons probably would work, but you wouldn't be able to use the additional buttons without explicit driver support or some software that lets you map those buttons to some actions. My Logitech G500 has 3 additional thumb buttons that are useless because they don't trigger anything in OSX. Which is fine by me as I never used them anyway.

sputnik13 said:
"gaming peripheral" like a mouse with more than 3 buttons probably would work, but you wouldn't be able to use the additional buttons without explicit driver support or some software that lets you map those buttons to some actions. My Logitech G500 has 3 additional thumb buttons that are useless because they don't trigger anything in OSX. Which is fine by me as I never used them anyway.

LMAO

I have two multi button gamer mice and both are totally programmable, one logitech and other razor.

Plus OP wants to game in Win and just fart around in OS X so he shouldn't have any issues if the mouse had 8 buttons and 4 toe buttons and none worked in OS X except the right and left click and scroll button

eelhead said:
sputnik13 said:

LMAO

I have two multi button gamer mice and both are totally programmable, one logitech and other razor.

Plus OP wants to game in Win and just fart around in OS X so he shouldn't have any issues if the mouse had 8 buttons and 4 toe buttons and none worked in OS X except the right and left click and scroll button

What do you use to program the mice?

What ever games I play in OS X gives me that option when I go into settings.
All my Steam games read the buttons on the mice as well as WoW.

eelhead said:
What ever games I play in OS X gives me that option when I go into settings.
All my Steam games read the buttons on the mice as well as WoW.

I wasn't considering in-game mapping to the buttons, just OS level. I stand corrected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back