Graphics
GTX 970 G1
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
hey everybody, I just recently (a couple of days ago) built my hackintosh. so naturally, I went on steam started playing some games and I noticed that my graphics were terrible and lagging in portal 2. I realize this is not a multibeast issue because when browsing the web I'm rocking 1920x1080. also portal 2 is a very graphically intense game. so I figured "I need a graphics card". I normally am sorta a fan boy of nvidia, but I heard that amd plays games better. so here's my GPU war dillema: I'm looking for an amd card with about the performance of a gtx 660ti for the same price. anyone have any suggestions? thanks

Look at benchmarks, plain and simple if you want to know relative performance. The problem is that AMD's current, 7xxx series of video cards are not (as of now) supporte by OS X. nVidia's current cards are supported (with a few specific models being excluded). So, if you want performance like the GTX 660 Ti, buy a GTX 660 Ti knowing that it will work out of the box, with no issues. You could also compare benchmarks and look for an AMD 6xxx series card with comparable performance to the 660 Ti, but it may well be more expensive, and I'm not entirely sure of the compatibility.

Also, the idea that "AMD GPUs play games better" is at best highly subjective, and at worst silly. There are certainly some games that are optimized for AMD hardware or just work better with AMD, but that is not to say that they are unplayable with an nVidia card. Besides, the opposite is true for some other games, they being optimized for nVidia hardware. Not to mention, Portal 2 being as old as it is, a 660 Ti aught to be giving you frame rates well over 60 at all times.

hey everybody, I just recently (a couple of days ago) built my hackintosh. so naturally, I went on steam started playing some games and I noticed that my graphics were terrible and lagging in portal 2. I realize this is not a multibeast issue because when browsing the web I'm rocking 1920x1080. also portal 2 is a very graphically intense game. so I figured "I need a graphics card". I normally am sorta a fan boy of nvidia, but I heard that amd plays games better. so here's my GPU war dillema: I'm looking for an amd card with about the performance of a gtx 660ti for the same price. anyone have any suggestions? thanks
I don't want to insult you, but Portal 2 is NOT a "very graphically intense game".
The only thing is, that you cannot play games with an internal GPU, like the HD4000 you got.
If you only play Portal 2 and not games who need higher graphics performance, than you should be more than good to go with a Radeon HD6850.
(I use this card under windows and am able to play the newest games on normal graphics settings in 1080p)
This card is a, in comparison to the GTX660ti, cheap card with more than enough power to play portal 2.

Did you go into Portal 2's settings and set up for your GPU, when I first got it I had to go in and set it all up for my Monitor and 6870 because at first it look like pooo, after setting it all up t looks awesome and I didnt have any issues with it set on the highest ratings.

Also GPU comparison: http://www.hwcompare.com/category/gpu-comparisons/

GTX 650+ is reccomended

I am running an Nvidia GTI 560 TI with a Core 5 and it plays pretty much everything pretty clearly with a 2 monitor setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back