Evga Geforce GTX 960 4GB FTW Gaming
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey, guys!

Just wanted to let you all know of my first Hackintosh-build. Been working on this build for the last few weeks, and things seems (at last) to go very smooth!
As far as I know, some people have had some problems getting a similar build to work smooth because of the motherboard. One of my main interests of this board was of course the thunderbolt-functionality, since my audio interface (Motu 828x) has this option. This build is meant as a music production-rig.
Even though you may not have the exact same rig as I do, I am sure this thread might be in use if you the same motherboard.

Hardware:
- Motherboard: GA-Z97X-UD7-TH
- CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K
- PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX750B
- Graphics: EVGA Geforce GTX 750 (I'm stuck with onboard graphics for now, and will explain why below)!
- Kingston 120GB SSD (For my OS and applications)
- Seagate 1TB HDD (For storage)
- Samsung 250GB HD (from and old machine, and is working as a sample-library)
- Cooler Master Seidon 120V Ver.2
- TP-Link TL-WDN4800

I did get stuck with a lot of kernel panics at the beginning (all sorts of), and tweaking my UEFI/BIOS-settings back and forth. I didn't do my research well enough either when I bought the hardware. I found out my graphic card (EVGA Geforce GTX 750) was not a good match with OS X Mavericks (It should work well with Yosemite though, but may be a bit complicated with the motherboard). So intil I get a new card that is functional, I'm stuck with on-board graphics (works alright).

Before I got started, I was sure I had made myself a bootable memory stick with OS X Mavericks (10.9.5) and MultiBeast 6.5.1 on it.

My UEFI/BIOS settings were/are:
- Memory profile (XMP) = Profile1
- Turbo Boost Technology = Disabled (I disabled this since I experienced some problems earlier on. Working on this atm)
- VT-d = disabled
- Boot Mode Selection = Legacy only (Not sure if this is turned on by default)
- Initial Display Output = IGFX (For your on-board graphics)
- XHCI Mode = Auto
- Legacy USB support = Enabled (Needed this since I didn't have a built in CD-ROM, and used a USB-CD-ROM) - You will need this for your USB to be functional anyway
- XHCI Hand-off = Enabled
- EHCI Hand-off = Enabled
- Turn on SATA-Mode to AHCI (It is possible this is set by default, but check it anyway).
- Intel Thunderbolt Technology = Disabled - THIS WILL BE TURNED ON LATER!-And when that happens, choose Legacy Mode!

I think that's it!

My reason for using OS X Mavericks, is that it is per day, more stable than Yosemite, and is compatible with more software/hardware that I'm using. It was important for me to have the ability to use both Pro Tools 10 & 11 (PT10 is not compatible with Yosemite). I also have some other Hardware with drivers that are problematic even with Mavericks because they are a bit outdated. Don't think Yosemite would have been to any help at that point. ANYWAYS!

This is where we start!

For the thunderbolt-ports to function, you have to install Windows OS (It is important that this happens first). I read somewhere on the forum, that the hard drive had to be connected to SATA port 0 on your motherboard. This might be important if you want to keep Windows OS on a hard drive, and have OS X on another (and if that is the case, remember to use SATA-port 0 as your SSD input with your OS X drive). Back to case!

As far as I know, Windows 8 should do the job, but I was using Windows 7. This shouldn't be too problematic. After Windows is installed, use the Driver-CD that came with the motherboard and install the thunderbolt drivers (I installed all drivers on the CD just to be on the safe side).

When this is done, you may reboot your soon to be "Hackintosh" with the UniBeast Mavericks USB stick connected. When booting up, press and hold F12. Choose the memory stick as your UniBeast USB stick. When you get to the boot screen, you may enter this boot flag:

-x GraphicsEnabler=No PCIRootUID=1 npci=0x3000

I did use quite some time before I got the right boot flag, but based on UEFI/BIOS settings mentioned above (with the exact hardware as mine), this WILL get you to the installer, and it will be without issues. Just remember to format the Hard drive (in the installer) that the Windows OS is on to "Mac OS Extended (Journaled). The motherboard have at this point "remembered" the thunderbolt drivers that you installed earlier in the Windows OS.
After you have installed OS X and rebooted the machine, do the same boot procedure as before (F12, and choose the UniBeast USB stick). You should at this time see to bootable options. The UniBeast USB stick and another drive which is your hard drive with OS X on it. Choose the Hard drive, and enter same boot flag as before:

-x GraphicsEnabler=No PCIRootUID=1 npci=0x3000

You should after a bit of loading get to the setup screen. Finish that stuff, and log in on OS X.
Assuming everything has gone smooth intil now, you can find your UniBeast USB stick in "finder" and open the "Multibeast" application.

My Multibeast settings are this:
Screen Shot 2015-03-06 at 01.33.57.png

What´s listed here is my third MultiBeast attempt. There will be some adjustments here in my case, and especially when it comes to drivers related to graphic (As mentioned above, I'm using on-board graphics atm). The 10.9.4+ TRIM patch is also important when using a SSD, which I suggest you use, since a normal drive can cause some BOOT0 problems. The iMac 14,2 is also the system definition that closest resemblance MY build. If I had choose a better CPU like the Intel Core i7 4790K, I may have had to choose an iMac 15 definition. You can **** up your build quite bad with the wrong system definition, so be aware of what you choose. Did it once, and the whole thing crashed, so I had to start from scratch!

You may restart you build after this, and go into UEFI/BIOS, and enable the thunderbolt settings, but so you know; You have to have your thunderbolt-advice plugged inn before you boot your Mac for it to function! If you enter "About this mac" - "system report" - "thunderbolt", it will tell you that you are missing some drivers. This is in a way true, but your motherboard remembers the windows drivers you installed earlier, so the ports are functional. Both are working for me, but port 2 seems to make my Hackintosh freeze from time to time. Port 1 is working great though. I read in the forum about someone else having similiar problems.

I will update this thread as I progress, and hopefully it will be of use to you guys out there! It you guys are wondering about anything, just shout out. Good luck with your builds! :)

- Bjørnar

I really appreciate the time you took to write this thread I was able to setup everything perfectly following your order.
I am however getting a weird message when I boot its showing me this
Boot0 GPT
Boot0 test
Boot 0 test
Boot 0 GPT
Boot0 Test
Boot0 Test
Boot0 error

Any ideas on how I can fix this?

Hi,i have GA-Z97X-UD7-TH CPU 4790k i7 32 giga ram Vengeance 2 hd sata barracuda 1 terabyte and HDINTEL 4600 grafics card on board...i have an Apollo quad toc 2 Firewire and i use protools 10.3.10 that not run in yosemite..i want install mavericks 10.9.5 this guide is good for 10.9.5? The system is stable? Help please i hate win with protools ;( thank in advance!

Hey, guys!

Just wanted to let you all know of my first Hackintosh-build. Been working on this build for the last few weeks, and things seems (at last) to go very smooth!
As far as I know, some people have had some problems getting a similar build to work smooth because of the motherboard. One of my main interests of this board was of course the thunderbolt-functionality, since my audio interface (Motu 828x) has this option. This build is meant as a music production-rig.
Even though you may not have the exact same rig as I do, I am sure this thread might be in use if you the same motherboard.

Hardware:
- Motherboard: GA-Z97X-UD7-TH
- CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K
- PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX750B
- Graphics: EVGA Geforce GTX 750 (I'm stuck with onboard graphics for now, and will explain why below)!
- Kingston 120GB SSD (For my OS and applications)
- Seagate 1TB HDD (For storage)
- Samsung 250GB HD (from and old machine, and is working as a sample-library)
- Cooler Master Seidon 120V Ver.2
- TP-Link TL-WDN4800

Hi I found your blog very helpful. Just wondering if you got your Graphics card to work with Mavericks in the end? I have a NVIDA Geforce GTX 750Ti which is the updated model to what you have. I got it to work with Yosemite 10.10.3 which is fine for using Logic Pro x, but I was thinking of doing a duel boot with Mavericks so I could use Pro Tools 10 when I need to.

I am also using the same motherboard as you. My computer spec is in my profile. I'm trying to get my Apollo twin to work through the Thunderbolt and read you install windows first. I installed Windows after but my thunderbolt does not always work and I have to keep going back and loading up Windows 10. I'm going to start again and install Windows 7 and re install Yosemite 10.10.3 as I wipe the driver by mistake when attempting a dual boot. LOL

Thank you for the useful guide.

HI Bjørnar and update about this build ?
I've the same problem with thunderbolt, and when i restart or shut down the system when i restart the system can't find the thunderbolt device, for find it i've to turn totally off the system, turn off the power of the build and after that restar with the thunderbolt port active.

Sorry for not following up the thread. I got my build to work alright in the end, but changed OS to El Capitan after the release this Autumn. I didn't mind using Pro Tools 11.
I sold my old graphic card, since I was using Mavericks. The old card was only compatible with Yosemite or El Capitan.
Right now, I am experiencing some problems with my new graphic card on El Capitan (EVGA Geforce GTX 960 4GB FTW).
Started a new thread. Would love to hear your input on how to solve my problem! Adding link below.

New thread

Best of luck with your builds!

- Bjørnar

I think that original link is snaggled.
Search for the page yielded this: CLICK IT NOW, THEN GET TO THE CHOPPERS

The HTML of the above linkage...
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/boot0-error-the-official-guide.65706/
The Stork link
http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/boot0-error-the-official-guide.65706/

Some kind of double http opps happened, I guess.
Did I leave the stove on?
Thanks, Gilly262! I have corrected my link from April, 2015. Since that post, we've changed forum software and the older links don't work due to the new software's method of assigning post/thread references.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back