Contribute
Register

GA-Z97X-UD5H, i5 4690K, El Capitan overclock advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Is there anything I should know concerning either the chip, motherboard, or the operating system? Do I mainly have to adjust settings in the BIOS, or is there anything in El Capitan/Clover that I have to alter?

Anyone with the same configuration want to share their settings?

I have just built a similar rig with the UD3. There is nothing to do in Clover etc. It is all done in the Bios.
I am running Yosemite at the moment. I have an El Capitan drive, but it did respond strangely to some bios settings, mainly RAM. I think there is something in El Capitan that affects settings and restricts them to what it requires. Because mine is a new build, I went back to Yosemite which does not interfere with bios settings at all.

The main point to watch is the GPU Core voltage which should not be much over 1.3 it is best to set this manually as the auto setting tend to be too high for this chip. Of course the temps are important. You don't want to be running much above 80C under load.

I originally tried to increase only the Clock ratio, but could not get beyond 45.

With Core voltage at 1.35 (a bit high) and all set to Auto, I changed the CPU Clock Ratio to 45 and adjusted the CPU Base Clock to get a frequency of 4.75. I am sure this is not the best way, but it is running fine, Geekbench 20500. I set the ram XMP Profile to 1. At this, idle temp is 27C max 80C.

Update:

Everything was running fine at 4.77 until I found it could not wake up properly. All looked and sounded normal but the monitor would not fire up. I tried everything to make it show but no way. The only way to solve it was to put the core back to 100Mz and settle for 4.5

• :cry:

I decided to give El Capitan another try and guess what? It does wake up. All my settings are about the same in the Bios 4.77 is the best I can get with RAM on More Stable settings with XMP1 selected.

Yes, the numbers in about this mac are all over the place and even Cinebench is totally confused BUT the bios are not effected at all so the speed is there and the Geekbench is a little higher with El Cap.

• :D

Update:

Everything was running fine at 4.77 until I found it could not wake up properly. All looked and sounded normal but the monitor would not fire up. I tried everything to make it show but no way. The only way to solve it was to put the core back to 100Mz and settle for 4.5

• :cry:

I decided to give El Capitan another try and guess what? It does wake up. All my settings are about the same in the Bios 4.77 is the best I can get with RAM on More Stable settings with XMP1 selected.

Yes, the numbers in about this mac are all over the place and even Cinebench is totally confused BUT the bios are not effected at all so the speed is there and the Geekbench is a little higher with El Cap.

• :D

I have the exact same board and CPU like you and I am curious to overclock with El Capitan too.
Can you briefly tell me what you did to overclock your system? I am completely new to overclocking, especially on a hackintosh ;)

I have the exact same board and CPU like you and I am curious to overclock with El Capitan too.
Can you briefly tell me what you did to overclock your system? I am completely new to overclocking, especially on a hackintosh ;)

Well the new motherboards are getting really quite friendly so this is a good tome to start. Have a look at this thread and feel free to ask questions.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/overclocking/158492-i7-4790k-running-90-100-c-2.html#post1179334

Set the Vcore to about 1.35. Base clock to 4.0. Booster ratios ALL to 4.7. All else Auto.

• :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back