Contribute
Register

GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK | i7-4770K | RX580 - Ventura Public Beta

Alternatively you could run Monterey on your hack with just the Intel HD4600 IGPU.

You would need to use the MacMini7,1 SMBIOS in place of the iMac14,2 or 15,1 you are probably using with Catalina.

See this guide for Haswell system running Monterey.

The use of an AMD dGPU would enable you to run macOS Ventura when it is released in the next month or so.

An RX460 works natively. You can find them at a low price refurbished on Ebay.

Ones like this are Dell or HP branded and work fine. RX 560s sell for a little more but also work.

View attachment 554355

These sell for about 47 USD on Ebay.com

View attachment 554356
OK, when I looked at the recommended video cards, they were $300+++. I don't mind spending some money, but I certainly do not need a top-of-the-line card.

Alternatively you could run Monterey on your hack with just the Intel HD4600 IGPU.

You would need to use the MacMini7,1 SMBIOS in place of the iMac14,2 or 15,1 you are probably using with Catalina.

See this guide for Haswell system running Monterey.

The use of an AMD dGPU would enable you to run macOS Ventura when it is released in the next month or so.
Thanks, I think I will try to get it going with the IGPU first, and if that works I will get a new video card. I will also get a new SSD so I can go back to Catalina.......

Thanks. Your suggestion to remove all of the Bluetooth Kexts and their associated Config.plist entries did the trick.
Hi Bernito,
i have a setup almost similar to yours on my second hackintosh. Would you be kind enough to share your EFI so I can calmly study it to fit my specific setup?
Thanks in advance.

Hi Bernito,
i have a setup almost similar to yours on my second hackintosh. Would you be kind enough to share your EFI so I can calmly study it to fit my specific setup?
Thanks in advance.
Resolved.
I changed smbios from imac 17.1 to 18.3 and related config tricks on my Z170 msi.
Ventura public beta 7 installed without problems.

Resolved.
I changed smbios from imac 17.1 to 18.3 and related config tricks on my Z170 msi.
Ventura public beta 7 installed without problems.
Hi can you give me some tips on how you changed your smbios from 17.1 to 18.3 and also what tricks did you do? I can't seem to get Opencore Legacy Patcher to work.

You shouldn't be using OpenCore Legacy Patcher on a Hack. The OCLP is meant for use on a real Mac not a Hack.

You should be using OpenCore bootloader, not OCLP.

If you want to generate a new SMBIOS try using Corpnewt's GenSMBIOS python script.

You can use this to generate any SMBIOS.

Simply tell the script you want to generate a SMBIOS, option 3 usually.
It will then ask which SMBIOS and how many sets of data to generate, e.g. iMac18,3 5 would generate 5 sets of data for an iMac18,3.

You need to check that the Serial Number generated isn't being used by a real Mac. This is important, so don't skip it.

Then replace the Serial Number, MLB, ROM and SystemUUID in your current config.plist with the newly generated SMBIOS data that you have checked isn't being used by a real Mac.

You shouldn't be using OpenCore Legacy Patcher on a Hack. The OCLP is meant for use on a real Mac not a Hack.

You should be using OpenCore bootloader, not OCLP.

If you want to generate a new SMBIOS try using Corpnewt's GenSMBIOS python script.

You can use this to generate any SMBIOS.

Simply tell the script you want to generate a SMBIOS, option 3 usually.
It will then ask which SMBIOS and how many sets of data to generate, e.g. iMac18,3 5 would generate 5 sets of data for an iMac18,3.

You need to check that the Serial Number generated isn't being used by a real Mac. This is important, so don't skip it.

Then replace the Serial Number, MLB, ROM and SystemUUID in your current config.plist with the newly generated SMBIOS data that you have checked isn't being used by a real Mac.
Oh that explains it then. I didn't realize it was for real macs only. Thanks Edhawk.

Hi EdHawk,

I'm trying your EFI since it matches my rig but only get a blinking cursor (black screen) even after flashing the BIOS since Z97 motherboards tend to go bananas mixing clover and opencore bootloaders.
Any idea what could be causing this?
I had a mindata error and bootstrap error before I changed min and mandate to 0 and secure boot to disabled. And no the blinking cursor.
Thanks in advance!

Update: I think I get Opencore boot loader now because when I press space I get more options (refi) such as clearnvram.efi etc...
But I only get EFI icon and nothing more. Selecting EFI brings me to the Clover boot loader that's on my Catalina drive.
So this is with an USB pen drive (GUID) holding your EFI (with my serials)

Last edited:
Initially your bios was not using the UEFI partition to boot your system. When this occurs you need to press the F12 key, when the Gigabyte splash screen appear, this will bring up the Bios Boot Menu, which would allow you to select the UEFI partition on your USB and it should then boot to OpenCore.

Check that either HfsPlus.efi or OpenHfsPlus.efi driver is present in the /EFI/OC/Drivers folder and a corresponding entry is included in the config.plist to enable the driver.

Back