Asus Strix GTX 960 2GB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
MSI Z97 Gaming 7 / i5-4460 / GTX 960 | First Build

UPDATE : Tutorial Click -> http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...msi-z97-gaming-7-i5-4460-strix-gtx-960-a.html

Hey guys!

I have waited this site for awhile. I finally am deciding to get a build together that will dual boot windows and mac! I am planning on installing Yosemite on this build;

CPU: Intel i5-4460 3.2 GHz
Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 7 LGA1150
Graphics: ASUS STRIX-GTX960-DC2OC-2 2GB
SSD: Samsung EVO 850-Series 120GB (for Yosemite&Windows 10 preview saw a guy do it on one hard drive here: http://youtu.be/VSYkUkngdb4 )
Western Digital Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare DriveHDD:
RAM: PNY XLR8 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model MD8192SD3-1600-X9(I believe is compatible)
Power: Rosewill Glacier Series Glacier 700M
Case: NEW NZXT H440 STEEL Black/Red (Wife's Choice)
Cooling: Just going to use stock cooler for now no need lots of fans comm with case so lots of ventilation and I'm not over clocking so it will stay cool I hope.
Monitor: SAMSUNG S24D300H Black 24" 2ms HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor 250 cd/m2 DCR Mega Infinity (1000:1)
Keyboard/mouse: Corn Black & White multimedia gaming keyboard & mouse usb Rf 2.4 GHZ mechanical and waterproof
Build price subtotal: $1,113.96 + $~70 for the RAM i had to ruin to best buy because somehow it got deleted from my cart.

20150212.jpg

TUT Coming SOON I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!!

Last edited:
You should confirm the ethernet driver. I have the same board and used "AtherosE2200Ethernet", which is available via Multibeast.

Thanks for the response, This is the Ethernet on the board, I do not know how to check for driver? Also updating my original post with different parts.
Onboard LAN

LAN ChipsetQualcomm Atheros Killer E2201Max LAN Speed10/100/1000Mbps

Thanks for the response, This is the Ethernet on the board, I do not know how to check for driver? Also updating my original post with different parts.
Onboard LAN

LAN ChipsetQualcomm Atheros Killer E2201Max LAN Speed10/100/1000Mbps
Correct. AtherosE2200Ethernet is the one you want.

RAM: G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR (I believe is compatible)

I believe the i5's are not compatible with DDR 3 1866. May have step down to 1600
check here:
http://ark.intel.com/products/80817/Intel-Core-i5-4460-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_40-GHz

I'm also planning my mATX dual boot hackintosh right now... it's tough

Did you buy the parts yet?

Why exactly did you choose to get a mid tower case instead of a mini tower?
That large case kind of takes away the advantage of mATX motherboards that
enable you to build in smaller cases.

I'm currently looking at the Cooler Master N200/Fractal Design Arc Mini R2/Corsair 350D
but I think it'll come down to the Cooler Master.

Please keep us updated on your build since I'm still not sure if I should get the
Gigabyte GA-Z97MX Gaming 5, Asus Z97M-Plus or Asus Z97 Gryphon :p

Good luck with your build!

If your budget is tight, you might consider holding off on the CPU cooler upgrade. I have a similar system that I just finished. I used the included cpu cooler that came with the chip. It runs quiet and I haven't had issues with heat.

Just make sure you're cpu does indeed included a cooler fan.

I'm currently looking at the Cooler Master N200/Fractal Design Arc Mini R2/Corsair 350D

Please keep us updated on your build since I'm still not sure if I should get the

I chose the a larger case so I would have some growing room. I chose the GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 because a) cost b) I did not need all the bells and whistles of the higher end cards.

Hey I have not bought the parts yet. I will be soon when I find the right combination price.
I chose the matx simply for cost. And I as well won't be using super power full cards. Also got the bigger case just the same reasons for expansion when ever I get extra money to throw down.

[/COLOR]
I believe the i5's are not compatible with DDR 3 1866. May have step down to 1600
check here: ,
http://ark.intel.com/products/80817/Intel-Core-i5-4460-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_40-GHz

Thank you for looking into this I never would have known that. If you look above you'll see the change on the ram top 1600. Also tooK off the water color. I won't be doing a whole lot except dual boot. Play a few games and run photoshop and stuff so no heavy load for hours on end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back