Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z97MX-GAMING 5
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
RX 580
When I try to boot from the USB installer it gets stuck on a garbled screen. I'm using the macOS Catalina 10.15.2 application and created a usb boot drive using createmedia.

What I see as the last line right before the garble is IOUSBHostInterface(0x1...): matching deferred by IOUSBHostHIDDevice. Then a white no entry sign appears and the rest of the text becomes unreadable.

I tried both VirtualSMC.kext and FakeSMC.kext with similar results, and I'm using clover 5100.

Specs:
  • Intel 4790k
  • GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 BIOS F4 (ALC1150, E2200)
  • AMD RX 580
  • Samsung 250GB 850 EVO
  • 32GB DDR3
  • (using the USB port next to the network port, others won't show in F12 boot menu)
  • Currently running Mojave created using UniBeast without issue.

Hi Waspinator,

Did you ever manage to fix this? I have the same issue with my catalina usb installer.

I can use it to boot into my already installed macOS, but running the installer itself ends at ....IOUSBhostinterface matching deferred by IOUSBHostHIDDevice....and then garbled text, and the no-entry sign.

Would be nice if someone knew what caused it.

Same here gents. Sometimes, when i just keep trying, it manages to get passed this for no apparent reason.
I've installed Mavericks on this very machine using the same USB thumb drive six years ago .. so i know the problem is not the USB 2.0/3.0 port nor the thumb drive. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Same here gents. Sometimes, when i just keep trying, it manages to get passed this for no apparent reason.
I've installed Mavericks on this very machine using the same USB thumb drive six years ago .. so i know the problem is not the USB 2.0/3.0 port nor the thumb drive. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Hi Waspinator,

Did you ever manage to fix this? I have the same issue with my catalina usb installer.

I can use it to boot into my already installed macOS, but running the installer itself ends at ....IOUSBhostinterface matching deferred by IOUSBHostHIDDevice....and then garbled text, and the no-entry sign.

Would be nice if someone knew what caused it.

After getting rid of the garbled text by enabling kext debugging, it showed that the actual error is "still waiting for root device" meaning it can't find your USB flash drive. I managed to solve the issue by using a USB2.0 flash drive, rebuilt it for legacy boot (NOT UEFI) and setting my BIOS to Legacy boot as opposed to UEFI boot.
On to the next issue. But that's off topic :) .
Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back