Contribute
Register

GA-Z87M-D3H - Yosemite installation struggles to success! Current questions related to Multibeast an

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H
CPU
Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz
Graphics
EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Superclocked ACX Video Card
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
[edit: 11/15/2014] - #1,3,4,5 solved]

Hello!

First off, my build:
GA-Z87M-D3H
Intel i5-4690K
EVGA GeForce GTX 760

This is my first pc build ever, so far, it's not bad, learning a lot as I go. I have a few questions at the end of this thread, and the details basically explain what I've faced so far in getting my build to work. I've looked everywhere on tonymacx86 to find a working solution for my questions but couldn't find answers. :|:(

My process:
My first install went well and restarted okay. Started to tinker with MultiBeast and after my first tinker trying to get audio to work. Originally, my first issue started with the inability to boot from my Yosemite SSD drive. What happens is that it'll boot and not even halfway through the boot, the apple logo disappears and the gray 'cancel' icon will appear and the mac stops booting.

Things I've done so far in the following order:
1. Safe mode via Yosemite SSD (-x): It will boot using safe mode, but has an odd screen flicker issue.
2. Verbose mode (-v): It hangs at 'Still waiting for root device' (I have an image for this if needed).
3. Multibeast in safe mode via Yosemite SSD: I tried to tinker with Multibeast settings to return it to the original settings I had set for it. No success.
4. Tried all kinds of boot flags without any success.
5. Tried to boot from the USB, it'll throw a kernel panic. (I have the panic recorded. If you need it, I can get it to you, don't think it matters now).
6. Safe mode via USB and reinstalled OSX, and tried to boot again from Yosemite SSD -- I get the same kernel panic in #5.
7. Did another reinstall of OS X, again, hoping third time's the charm. Selected Yosemite SSD, and I get yet another kernel panic, all pretty much the same as the other panics, but it's slightly different. Decided to restart using the case restart button, and the OS X launches setup. I was able to access MultiBeast and install was successful. The computer froze and I waited for 20 minutes. Did another restart, and the computer asked to pick the start up volume to which I chose Yosemite SDD. Did two more restarts to ensure it's stable, and everything seems to be working fine, including booting from Yosemite SDD.

My questions:
1. [solved!!!] I'm afraid to play with MultiBeast for later revisions. If I wanted to reinstall, should I do a clean install for each tweak to MultiBeast settings each and every time? Or do I simply tweak settings, install, and restart? (The latter is what I did before...) *note: I also read some users on tonymacx86 may think MultiBeast is having stability issues for Yosemite, is this true?

2. My audio initially was working, but after 15 minutes, it stopped. Any idea what could be causing this issue? I installed the Realtek ALCxxx > Optional 3 Port (5.1) Audio driver in Multibeast. Based on prior experience, I don't want to screw up the build and go through all of this hassle again. (View MultiBeast screenshot below in question #4 to see my MultiBeast configuration I had supposedly installed.)

3. [solved!!!] I don't see Chimera at all when booting up like I did in my first install. Oddly, it SHOULD be installed. (View MultiBeast screenshot in question #4)

[solved!!!] I had 1080p Display Mode initialized for boot options in MultiBeast, but this isn't working. It did work in my first install... not sure why it's not implemented this time. (View Multibeast screenshot)
Screen Shot 2014-10-27 at 3.39.38 AM.png

[solved!!!] I have to hit 'enter' to select Yosemite SSD every time I boot, how can this be resolved? (View image) IMG_20141027_033522789.jpg

6. In my first install, there was an Airplay option available, but in my current install, I don't see it anywhere. Any ideas on how I can get this up and running? Saw a tutorial somewhere on the forums but wasn't sure if it could apply for my build.

Any insight, tips, comments is really helpful. Sorry for all of the details and a long post, thought it might come in handy, thank you so much! You all rock!
:D :headbang:

Last edited:
I am having the same Kernel issues, did you find any solution? Please share.

Hey,

For kernel issues, I decided to redo the whole install process again. I had to play with figuring out which drives should boot first in the BIOS settings. For some reason they were not organized correctly, so I arranged my UEFI SSD as 1st, UEFI HDD as 2nd, and the rest shouldn't really matter. I got through on my 5th or 6th try. Sorry I'm not much of a help, :confused:.

I believe that my kernel issues were caused by installing the wrong ktexts too, I did read somewhere on the forums you should only add one ktext at a time, this way you can determine what works and what doesn't instead of doing it all at once.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info. I just past through the installation, used boot flags .. "-v -x -f maxmem=4096 -no-zp". Currently struggling throught SAFE MODE to install multibeast. Will update on success.

FYI., I have I7-4770K, 16GB Corsair Vengeance,ASUS GT640 2GB.

Hey, how did you solve your question #3? I am having similar issues with multibeast and chimera, and I don't even know if my chimera is installed.

I am doing a dual booting system with windows and yosemite, and I can boot into them fine with my unibeast USB. But I can't seem to install multibeast (or do it right) because as soon as I unplug my USB, my computer will only boot into windows and can't find my mac drive...

Hey, how did you solve your question #3? I am having similar issues with multibeast and chimera, and I don't even know if my chimera is installed.

I am doing a dual booting system with windows and yosemite, and I can boot into them fine with my unibeast USB. But I can't seem to install multibeast (or do it right) because as soon as I unplug my USB, my computer will only boot into windows and can't find my mac drive...

I am no expert whatsoever, but, have you thought about making your SSD the first bootable drive in BIOS?

I'm dual booting from the same SSD... the problem is when I go into BIOS, I only see my Windows partition and I can't see my Mac partition... The only way my computer realizes that there is a Mac partition is when I keep my USB in and use the unibeast bootloader. Chimera bootloader is either not recognized or not installed right... :crazy:

*No Sound.
*Computer is really slow. Mine is an i7 4770K with 16 gigs of ram, not sure what the reason is, any one having similar issues ?

*No Sound.
*Computer is really slow. Mine is an i7 4770K with 16 gigs of ram, not sure what the reason is, any one having similar issues ?

@avi_31337: You need to install an audio ktext that'll work with your setup. I have Realtek ALC892, but what audio output are you using? I'm using the 5.1 Audio since the monitor has speakers. That's all I need for now.

@avi_31337: You need to install an audio ktext that'll work with your setup. I have Realtek ALC892, but what audio output are you using? I'm using the 5.1 Audio since the monitor has speakers. That's all I need for now.

Thanks man. I've got the audio situation figured out. For some reason, the machine is still veryy slow. Any idea why something like that would happen ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back