Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
So I have installed 10.9 and everything works as expected except for this little problem.

I'm using an Alfa AWUS036NHR USB wifi device. It works fine, I'm using Alfa's drivers for 10.9, but my hackintosh won't go to sleep when it is connected. Problem is, when I disconnect the device all USB ports die (mouse, keyboard, etc). This device uses a lot of power, as it's intended for long range connectivity. I've tried connecting it to a powered USB hub with the USB Y cable (the one with an extra connector for power) and computer won't go to sleep either.

All other USB devices I've tried work as expected, although I haven't done any benchmarking. So I'm not sure if the problem is that the USB bus is not working correctly, or if the Alfa driver is not ok, or if it's a combination between the Alfa and the mobo.

I've thought about buying another usb wifi device, but I'm worried the problem is in the USB and not the Alfa device.

Any ideas on how to solve this?

So I went to a shop and found a TP Link adapter TL WN823N which works for mac and has a different chipset than the Alfa AWUS036NHR.

I get home and find out that both wifi adaptors use the same driver and utility app form Realtek. Same result: can't sleep with either of the adapters connected and disconnecting them crashes my USB port.

At this point I'm pretty sure the problem is the Realtek driver or utility app.

Before installing each driver there is an uninstall script which doesn't work that great. I've tried different version of the drivers and now the TPLink adapter works for some time and then stops working, the Alfa works great.

:banghead:

I'm going to try to install Mountain Lion on a spare disk and see if I can get this to work there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back