Graphics
NVidia GT640
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH w/ HD4000 and Lion: Not Getting To Installer Screen

Hey guys,

This is my first Hackintosh build and I've been lurking on here prior to purchasing parts and doing as much reading as I can on the process. I thought I had everything pretty much fool-proof until I tried installing Lion yesterday. It doesn't throw up any errors but instead just keeps rebooting. In verbose, it all looks good and goes through about 24 pages but then flashes and reboots.

I've gone through all the recommended BIOS features (even updated to BIOS version F9) and I've tried multiple variations.

I've tried all the recommended strings (-v -x GraphicsEnabler=No PCIRootUID=0) and nothing seems to work.

I then tried recreating Unibeast with another USB stick. Same results.

I've even tried unplugging all peripherals inside and out leaving only the Mobo, CPU, PSU, RAM, SSD, USB. Still the same results.

Here's my config:

MB: GA-Z77X-UP5 TH / F9 firmware
CPU: Intel i7-3770K
GPU: On-board HD4000
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz PC3
PSU: Corsair TX750

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!

Phillystax

Im getting the same issue. I pretty much have the same build. I did not upgrade my board to F9, is there a link for that?

To update the Bios on the Gigabyte board. I went to Gigabyte's site, downloaded the f9 update, and then followed this guide for updating using Q-Flash in the Bios.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/175-new-uefi-updates-gigabyte-s-high-end-z77-boards.html

But I warn you, after 2 days of trying to figure it out, I still couldn't get it to work with Lion. But then I bought Mountain Lion, made the UniBeast installer USB, and it worked on the first try. :banghead:

There must be something about this new board that Lion just doesn't like. But on the positive side, Mountain Lion is pretty cool from what I can tell.

Phillystax

Hi Phillystax,

Good to hear that there is a solution - install Mountain Lion.

I'm encounter the same issue you had with Lion. So I tried to buy the upgrade from Apple for Mountain Lion, but my 'old' hardware does not support Mountain Lion, which results in not able to download.

Any other suggestions are more then welcome?

Greetz,
Plurk

I dont think Lion will support the HD4000. If you put in a graphics card, it might work better. Also install procedure with MAX 4GB ram ;)

I have also experienced that if the installer USB is not proper formatted before starting the process, it just might **** things up.

Best of luck!!

Thanks for the tips everyone!!! This really is a great community and I'm glad to now be a part of it!

I tried installing Lion with only 4GB of RAM, a GeForce 640 discrete graphics card, and only the targeted install drive with no results. Luckily, after installing Mountain Lion, everything booted up fine, all of my software works with ML (that was what I wasn't sure of and my only reason for not installing it at first) and it seems to be running very smooth.

I'll post my success build in the Mountain Lion thread soon. Gotta get my documentation organized ;)

Phillystax

Hey guys. Im wanting to install ML but I have no access to a Mac. Is there anyway to do this without those? I tried installing SL from retail CD but get stuck on the apple logo. I have a similar build - running an XFX 6870 with 16GB of ram on f4 Bios. I'd appreciate some help installing ML without access to a MAC. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back