Contribute
Register

GA-Z77X-UP5 TH vs GA-Z77X-UD5H

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? This is using the 3rd Party eSATA kext on my UP5:
View attachment 42752
The "Unknown" controllers are the Z77 ones (which work fine despite that label). I haven't connected any SSDs to the Marvell ports to see if they will actually do >300 MB/s, but it does say "Link Speed 6 Gigabit".

What is the Samsung 830 connected to that says Unknown AHCI Controller, the Z77?
This is what shows up most of the time with the Marvell controllers. Maybe the new Gigabyte Z77 boards use a different Marvell chip that has support - good to know that.

Is there any website to list & compare easily differences between those motherboards ? (French prices on amazon)
MSI Z77MA-G45 / 95€
ASUS P8Z77-M PRO / 120€
GA-Z77X-UD5H (rev. 1.0) / 200€
GA-Z77X-UP5 TH (rev. 1.0) / 270€

I need basically to see how many connections there is for :
FW800 (1394b),
USB 2 & 3,
Ethernet,
HDMI sound & video,
Sata 6 & 3,
PCIe...
From what I've seen, here is some differences (there's lot of mistake and lot's of missing information) :

Form Factor SATA 3 Gb/s SATA 6 Gb/s eSATA 6Gb/s mSATA 3Gb/s thunderbolt
MSI Z77MA-G45 Micro ATX 4 2 0 0 0
ASUS P8Z77-M PRO Micro ATX 4 2 2 0 0
GA-Z77X-UD5H ATX 4 5 1 1 0
GA-Z77X-UP5 TH ATX 4 3 1 0 2

Any better website for comparing ?

It's look like there's some conflicts with mSATA connections on the UP5 TH ?
  1. * The SATA2 5 connector will become unavailable when the mSATA connector is installed with a solid state drive.

Thanks

Yes that Samsung 830 is on a Z77 port.

inkobl, on both those Gigabyte boards the SATA5 port is not available if an mSATA drive is installed.
Why don't you just go to the manufacturers' websites and download the spec sheets and manuals (PDFs) for each board so you're not guessing?

I've got some difficulty understanding differences about mSATA : "Marvell 88SE9172 chips"
and how does it really works ?

Thanks

What is difficulty? The Z77 chip can supply 2 SATA III 6Gb/s ports and 4 SATA II 3 Gb/s ports. These are the standard ports on the edge of the main board.
If you choose to use the mSATA connector, it uses the lanes normally assigned to one on the regular SATA II 3Gb/s ports, making that connector on the edge of the mainboard inoperative.

As for the Marvell chips, these are extra chips that are capable of giving you 2 SATA III 6Gb/s ports.

On the UP5 you have one chip that gives you an extra SATA III 6Gb/s port on the mainboard for internal use and an eSATA port on the backplane. Connecting a SATA III 6Gb/s HDD/SSD to this eSATA port will give you another fast drive externally, rather than internally.

On the UD5H you have one chip that gives you two extra SATA III 6Gb/s port on the mainboard for internal use and one chip that gives you an extra SATA III 6Gb/s port on the mainboard for internal use and an eSATA port on the backplane. Connecting a SATA III 6Gb/s HDD/SSD to this eSATA port will give you another fast drive externally, rather than internally.

Ok thanks, it's look like fine.

Any suggestion about best solutions for Firewire actually ?

Sorry but I've already posting the same question in the post you're quoting... (going bald)

What's the cheapest way to do it ? for a full functional FW800.

Wich one are the troubles with this cheap PCIe card (Syba Low Profile PCI-Express 1394b/1394a (2B1A) Card, TI Chipset, Extra Regular Bracket SD-PEX30009)

- instead of paying 70€ for the best PCIe card(StarTech.com 3 Port 2b 1a 1394 PCI Express FireWire Card Adapter PEX1394B3).

Isn't it better having :
- 2 thunderbolt (+80€) + one cable adaptator thunderbolt>FW800 (30€)
- with free slots for future installation of PCIe Cards.

Otherwise this mean paying extra 40€ more for having 2 thunderbolt in option, and 1 free PCIe slot.

Thanks

Sorry but I've already posting the same question in the post you're quoting... (going bald)

What's the cheapest way to do it ? for a full functional FW800.

Wich one are the troubles with this cheap PCIe card (Syba Low Profile PCI-Express 1394b/1394a (2B1A) Card, TI Chipset, Extra Regular Bracket SD-PEX30009)

- instead of paying 70€ for the best PCIe card(StarTech.com 3 Port 2b 1a 1394 PCI Express FireWire Card Adapter PEX1394B3).

Isn't it better having :
- 2 thunderbolt (+80€) + one cable adaptator thunderbolt>FW800 (30€)
- with free slots for future installation of PCIe Cards.

Otherwise this mean paying extra 40€ more for having 2 thunderbolt in option, and 1 free PCIe slot.

Thanks

If you have TB board, is better to use TB->FW800 than PCIe card by any measure.

I've no TB

We are in a post named :
GA-Z77X-UP5 TH vs GA-Z77X-UD5H

I don't know wich one choosing ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back