Graphics
evga gtx 460
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
From what I see the diference between the two boards is wifi and bluetooth which from what I understand does not work in osx... but I assume would work in windows? I am just wondering what the benefit is over the other.

I am having a hard time selecting a motherboard and am wanting to try and find something that would be fairly compatable with Ubuntu Linux (planning on triple booting)

Thanks for taking a look and answering

From what I can understand the BIG difference between the UP5H TH and the UD5H is the dual thunderbolt ports

Both board support the Overclockable Z77 chipset, compatible audio and ethernet, and a Mini-PCIe slot for a compaitable WiFi card.
Either way the included WiFi/Bluetooth card will work under Windows (and possibly Linux), but as for OS X it will not work.
If you want built in WiFi you will need to purchase a compatible Mini-PCIe card that works under OS X.
Usually the latest Mini-PCIe card that apple shipped was a Broadcom card, found here
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Broadcom-43...twork_Cards&hash=item46039827b9#ht_2571wt_893

Now with regards to Thunderbolt at the current moment they do WORK but they are not Hot-swapple like USB. Tonymac and the like are working on that as far as I know.
So if Thunderbolt is a biggie for you, get the UP5H TH board.

the UD5H is mainly everybody's board of choice if they're going to use their hackintosh for more serious tasks (the Z77-DS3H, the tier-down of this board, is quite capable but does not support SLI nor does it have a Mini-PCIe slot)

Thank you very much that was incredibly helpful.

I was looking at the details on newegg for the up5 board and did not see the mini pcie listed can anyone confirm this to be true or false?

Thanks in advance.

Thank you very much that was incredibly helpful.

I was looking at the details on newegg for the up5 board and did not see the mini pcie listed can anyone confirm this to be true or false?

Thanks in advance.

The mPCIe slot on the UP5 TH board is for a mSATA drive, not a WiFi/BT card. Since it is driven with the SATA_5 port, (which becomes unusable if you put a drive in the mSATA MPCIe slot) it will not be usable by a WiFi/BT card.

Look like the sound via HDMI seem's to work on both mother-board almost equal.

So the only difference is the Thunderbolt and maybe a few more connections for data devices (on the UP5 TH).

Thanks

It's hard choosing for 80€ differences as we don't know how the thunderbolt will evolve ?

I think it's better putting hard drive inside my hackintosh than trough thunderbolt. Also you will have to consider that there's no connection between your graphic card and the thunderbolt from your motherboard. I think the thunderbolt connect only with the integrated graphic card on the motherboard (i'm not really sure with this information), so it's not the top of thunderbolt.

AS I really need a FW800 connection maybe I will choose the UP5 with a Apple Thunderbolt vers FireWire Adapter.

Any comments about TARGET mode on FW400 with Hackintosh does it work ?

The PCIe slot can be used for a FW card right?

PC BIOSes don't have Apple's Target disk mode, but you can mount an Apple machine that's in target mode. But then it's easier to pull a drive out of most PCs compared to a MacBook. Target disk mode is very slow anyway.

The UD5H board doesn't have Thunderbolt, but it has DisplayPort and two more Marvell SATA ports, and a rear panel FW400 port, and a 2nd LAN. The -WB variant comes with the same WiFi/BT card as the UP5 TH.

The UD5H board doesn't have Thunderbolt, but it has DisplayPort and two more Marvell SATA ports, and a rear panel FW400 port, and a 2nd LAN. The -WB variant comes with the same WiFi/BT card as the UP5 TH.

Sorry to interrupt the thread, but do those Marvell controlled SATA ports work under OS X?

Sorry to interrupt the thread, but do those Marvell controlled SATA ports work under OS X?

Yes, they show up as unknown controller and if SATA III only work as SATA II.

Yes, they show up as unknown controller and if SATA III only work as SATA II.
Really? This is using the 3rd Party eSATA kext on my UP5:
Screen Shot 2013-01-04 at 12.04.20 PM.png
The "Unknown" controllers are the Z77 ones (which work fine despite that label). I haven't connected any SSDs to the Marvell ports to see if they will actually do >300 MB/s, but it does say "Link Speed 6 Gigabit".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back