Contribute
Register

GA-Z77x-UP5 TH - BIOS Video Settings and Reboot Issue (rebootloop)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASROCK Z370 Taichi-Clover
CPU
i7-8770K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. LC
  3. Quadra
  4. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I hope this in correct section, please advice if not.

CONDENSED VERSION BETWEEN THE LINES BELOW

First of all I would like to thank everyone who contributes to this site. Both with questions and with answers. I have been part since 2013. I believe Mountain Lion was the first OS I loaded on my first Hack (this build). Without all the questions and answers I would never been able to make this work! Thank You.

I have used the guides on this site to buy 2 Hackintosh hardware and both have been ROCK solid. I know this build is getting a little long in the tooth, but I see it is still used by a few.

I am working on the system 'HackMojave' in my signature.
Dual screen working throughout install and post on ASUS Radeon RX580.

Special thanks to those who have contributed on this one so far.

@RehabMan
@pastrychef
@macnb
@mickelsn
@Feartech

I usually search / read and rarely start my own thread. After commenting on the thread below I kind of took over and agree with @macnb that I should start my own.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/dsdt-ssdt-patching-amd-rx-580-proper-working-advise.263288/page-1

Following the standard guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ojave-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.259381/

and a guide that refers to my board:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...on-ga-z77x-up5-th-system.264981/#post-1866337

I have a very solid install on Mojave. However it is not quite right. Usually once I get a working build for my needs I move on and use it as needed. I have taken a little more interest in this one and trying to learn and make it as correct as possible.

Following @mickelsn guide, this is the first time I have iCloud / Messages / Facetime working absolutely correctly.

The only issues I had remaining were the QuickLook / Preview issue with jpeg. Loading NOVPAJpeg.kext solved this issue. I struggled a bit trying to get WhateverGreen.kext and NOVPAJpeg.kext loaded. Turns out MultiBeast loaded an earlier version of Lilu.kext wich the later versions of WE & NoVPA were not compatible with.

kextstat
kextload
kextcache
and the app - iojones (now found IORegReporter) helped me troubleshoot that issue.

The remaining issues I am having are as follows.

#1 - I am having trouble getting the machine to boot with the Primary video set to 'PCI' and iGPU set to 'Enabled' in the BIOS. Anytime I set it that way, I get into a boot loop. The machine boots most of the way then stops and reboots. I boot in -v (verbose mode) but it scrolls much too fast for me to see where is stops. When pressing the space bar on the Clover boot screen and looking closer there is an option to 'not reboot after panic'. when the messages stopped I took a picture of the screen. Below is the picture.

#2 - When trying to play the 'Sony Camp Video' it is choppy and stops and continues. My CPU utilization spikes. Obviously it is not utilizing the Radeon RX580 to transcode the video. I have always read about renaming that you must do in the DSDT. I now understand is that WhateverGreen takes care of this. I am thinking however that the problem is related to not being able to set iGPU to 'Enabled' in BIOS. So, as they say, if any question refer back to rule #1.

Thank You @macnb for your modded BIOS and EFI files. Looking closely at those. As you suggested, I also seek to configure my own system w/o other tools. Any guidelines would be appreciated.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Solid System
Dual screen working throughout install and post on ASUS Radeon RX580

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ojave-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.259381/

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...on-ga-z77x-up5-th-system.264981/#post-1866337

Problems remaining:

#1 - Booting with video in BIOS set to:

PRIMARY - PCI
iGPU - Enabled / 512 Mem / DVMT MAX (Intel 4000)

#2 - Getting 'Sony Camp Video' playing smoothly

Looking for guidelines to configure system organically after install (without MultiBeast or possibly even Clover Configurator)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I truly thank everyone in advance for comment OR questions!

Attachments

• BootLoopPic.JPG
    BootLoopPic.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 151
Last edited:
I don't know why the BIOS on your motherboard has issues with enabling IGPU. It's probably a question best answered by Gigabyte.

According to this, Intel didn't add HEVC support to their IGPUs until Haswell.

Solid System
Dual screen working throughout install and post on ASUS Radeon RX580

Problems remaining:

#1 - Booting with video in BIOS set to:

PRIMARY - PCI
iGPU - Enabled / 512 Mem / DVMT MAX (Intel 4000)

#2 - Getting 'Sony Camp Video' playing smoothly
That pictures shows panic due to APFS filing system failure ??

#1: Boot from from your USB installer and then select your Mojave drive in the Clover menu and boot. What happens ?
When booted, post your EFI folder (without the themes folder), IOREG file, and list of kext in /Library/Extensions.

#2: That video file is HEVC. i7-3770K does not have HEVC decoder. RX580 does but Mojave does not use it. Sometimes it can be forced to use it but does not always work. See efforts here.

I don't know why the BIOS on your motherboard has issues with enabling IGPU. It's probably a question best answered by Gigabyte.

According to this, Intel didn't add HEVC support to their IGPUs until Haswell.

Thanx pastrychef. It's not that it won't. In fact during the last install I had it enabled and it showed both video cards after in the System Report. However, once I ran MultiBeast, it went back into the reboot loop. Meaning, about halfway through boot, it will reboot. Both from trying to boot from the drive or the USB at that point. I think I am going to follow macnb's lead and try to configure it by hand instead of with MultiBeast.

That pictures shows panic due to APFS filing system failure ??

#1: Boot from from your USB installer and then select your Mojave drive in the Clover menu and boot. What happens ?
When booted, post your EFI folder (without the themes folder), IOREG file, and list of kext in /Library/Extensions.

#2: That video file is HEVC. i7-3770K does not have HEVC decoder. RX580 does but Mojave does not use it. Sometimes it can be forced to use it but does not always work. See efforts here.

Thanx macnb. Very interesting about APFS filling. I have included a screenshot of 'Get Info'. It is mainly empty. When I follow your steps to boot, it boots normally. The only time I have a problem is when MultiBeast has been run and the iGPU is enabled. I loaded the Mojave just fine with it on, and saw both in System Report. It was once Multibeast was ran that I again had problems with it rebooting half way through boot from either the drive or the USB.

I booted as you requested and attached the requested files. I think my next step is going to be to re-install and try to configure by hand instead of MultiBeast. I will go back and examine a previous post of your more closely. I am thinking the process is something like: Install from Unibeast USB, Install Clover Boot Loader, copy in required kexts. I suppose the trick is knowing the required kexts. Maybe you left me that info in your previous post. I am working on the GA-Z77X-UP5-TH.

I am beginning if there is any reason to have the iGPU enabled. I have the jpg problem solved with NoVPAJpeg and I guess am not too worried about playing HEVC videos. I do all my ripping with MakeMKV, store them in a Plex server, usually watch on 4K TV, and my computer shows them all fine. I do have have a fully functioning install on another drive. I am just using this on to delve deeper into the insides and try to learn more.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 139
  • IOReg File.ioreg
    6.6 MB · Views: 164
  • Screen Shot 2018-12-11 at 1.28.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-11 at 1.28.41 PM.png
    57.7 KB · Views: 169
  • Screen Shot 2018-12-11 at 1.04.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-11 at 1.04.34 PM.png
    80.5 KB · Views: 165
@macnb

The post on a previous thread where you explained that you configured your own system gives an EFI for me to try, but I have not seen a list of the kexts you load. Your and my system are pretty much identical. Gigabyte GZ-Z77X-UP5-TH, i7-3770K, RX 580. I am booting from Samsung SSD. Either 850 Pro or 850 Evo. If you could share with me your choice of kexts, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank You in Advance.

Thanx macnb. Very interesting about APFS filling. I have included a screenshot of 'Get Info'. It is mainly empty. When I follow your steps to boot, it boots normally. The only time I have a problem is when MultiBeast has been run and the iGPU is enabled. I loaded the Mojave just fine with it on, and saw both in System Report. It was once Multibeast was ran that I again had problems with it rebooting half way through boot from either the drive or the USB.

I booted as you requested and attached the requested files. I think my next step is going to be to re-install and try to configure by hand instead of MultiBeast. I will go back and examine a previous post of your more closely. I am thinking the process is something like: Install from Unibeast USB, Install Clover Boot Loader, copy in required kexts. I suppose the trick is knowing the required kexts. Maybe you left me that info in your previous post. I am working on the GA-Z77X-UP5-TH.

I am beginning if there is any reason to have the iGPU enabled. I have the jpg problem solved with NoVPAJpeg and I guess am not too worried about playing HEVC videos. I do all my ripping with MakeMKV, store them in a Plex server, usually watch on 4K TV, and my computer shows them all fine. I do have have a fully functioning install on another drive. I am just using this on to delve deeper into the insides and try to learn more.
The files you posted show a very basic / generic setup and that IGPU is NOT enabled in the BIOS.

Are you saying that with the IGPU enabled in the BIOS, you cannot boot from the USB ?
What's the BIOS version ?

In the BIOS, set Initial Display to PEG, enable IGPU, and Disable CSM.
Try my attached EFI folder. Copy it OVER your USB EFI folder and boot off the USB.
If booted, report back with IOREG file.

BTW, do not use GenericUSBXHCI.kext - it does nothing for the Intel USB3 chipset on the motherboard.
Also, I put all the kexts in the /EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other folder and not in the /Library/Extensions.

Attachments

• MacNB-Z77X-EFI.zip
    2 MB · Views: 121
Last edited:
The files you posted show a very basic / generic setup and that IGPU is NOT enabled in the BIOS.

Are you saying that with the IGPU enabled in the BIOS, you cannot boot from the USB ?
What's the BIOS version ?

In the BIOS, set Initial Display to PEG, enable IGPU, and Disable CSM.
Try my attached EFI folder. Copy it OVER your USB EFI folder and boot off the USB.
If booted, report back with IOREG file.

BTW, do not use GenericUSBXHCI.kext - it does nothing for the Intel USB3 chipset on the motherboard.
Also, I put all the kexts in the and not in the /Library/Extensions.

Correct, I am working with a generic install just to try to solve these issues and learn. I have a solid install on another that I have added the serial number and have messages working. Of course booting with iGPU Disabled or in Auto.

Of course at my knowledge level I may not understand how much you mean by 'Generic'. I understand that whatevergreen.kext does the graphics DSDT renaming for you. I am looking forward to looking into the EFI zip you sent.

You also said "Also, I put all the kexts in the --- and not in the /Library/Extensions." I am assuming you meant to add '/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other folder. I have read in a lot of the newer posts to use /L/E. Some of the Git downloads even say to put them in L/E. I WILL try your way to though. That is where I always put them in the past. I assume MultiBeast added the GenericUSBXHCI.kext. This is why with your help I am looking forward to configuring the system on my own.

The BIOS version is F11. I want to look into the modded BIOS.

I have found that with PEG and Enabled, I can select the USB Drive to boot in BIOS, then select the Mojave drive @ Clover boot menu. This will boot. If I do not select USB in BIOS and just boot from the drive it will not finish booting, it reboots half way through. The rebooting started after running MultiBeast. I am going to look into your config and reinstall.

When I copy your EFI over mine on the USB for testing, do I need to empty my /L/E on the hard drive? Or do they not load because of booting from the USB before choosing the Mojave drive?

UPDATE: OK, obviously I am missing something. I reinstalled fine with your EFI folder on the USB, both video cards showing in reports when completed. Downloaded and installed Clover. Copied your EFI over the EFI on the Mojave/EFI and restart. Booting from the Mojave SSD I can't get past the BIOS screen :/ I can boot from the USB fine. Do you still have the r4674 install files. Can find older and newer.

Last edited:
You also said "Also, I put all the kexts in the --- and not in the /Library/Extensions." I am assuming you meant to add '/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other folder.
Yes that's correct. My brain was working faster than touch-typing fingers :)
I fixed the typo.

I have read in a lot of the newer posts to use /L/E. Some of the Git downloads even say to put them in L/E.
That's true for some kexts as some kexts need to be in the kext cache at boot time and cannot be injected by CLover.Those kext I have in E/C/K/Other are fine (certainly I have no issues).

I WILL try your way to though. That is where I always put them in the past. I assume MultiBeast added the GenericUSBXHCI.kext. This is why with your help I am looking forward to configuring the system on my own.
Multibeast is tool like a swiss-army knife...if used incorrectly, can be dangerous. I never use Multibeast (or unibeast) as it's never clear what it's doing. Like I said, I like to be in control and do things manually so that I know what/how things work.

The BIOS version is F11. I want to look into the modded BIOS.
F11 is fine if it boots Mojave now. But use the modded BIOS (attached)..it's fine and I have been using it for 2 years now.

I have found that with PEG and Enabled, I can select the USB Drive to boot in BIOS, then select the Mojave drive @ Clover boot menu. This will boot. If I do not select USB in BIOS and just boot from the drive it will not finish booting, it reboots half way through. The rebooting started after running MultiBeast. I am going to look into your config and reinstall.
....again do not use Multibeast...what do you hope to achieve by running it ?
Everything you need is in my EFI folder.

When I copy your EFI over mine on the USB for testing, do I need to empty my /L/E on the hard drive? Or do they not load because of booting from the USB before choosing the Mojave drive?
Yes delete those specific kexts in /L/E (not the ones installed by Apple) and rebuild the kextcache using terminal command:
Code:
sudo kextcache -i /

UPDATE: OK, obviously I am missing something. I reinstalled fine with your EFI folder on the USB, both video cards showing in reports when completed. Downloaded and installed Clover. Copied your EFI over the EFI on the Mojave/EFI and restart. Booting from the Mojave SSD I can't get past the BIOS screen :/ I can boot from the USB fine. Do you still have the r4674 install files. Can find older and newer.

That's great..progress.
So now you can boot via USB with IGPU enabled and RX580 screen active.
But just cannot boot via SSD EFI ?

How did you reinstall ? Did you use multibeast again ?
What do you mean "I can't get past the BIOS screen" ? Show picture of stuck screen.

The EFI folder I posted is Clover r4769.
Not sure why you need r4674 (which I do not have). Previous versions are here (but not r4674).
Post you EFI folder from your SSD.

Attachments

• F12Jmod9.rom.zip
    3.9 MB · Views: 138
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back