Graphics
NVIDIA
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
So I recently got ML successfully installed and booting on my ga-z77x-up4. I am using the on board graphics and am able to boot successfully to the login prompt. However none of the USB ports on the back of the main board appear to be functional, I've tried the USB2 and the USB3 ports. I've tried connecting directly to them and through a USB hub, none of this has made a difference. The USB ports work outside of OSX meaning I am able to reach the UEFI etc without issue . I've verified the USB is enabled etc. I am running version F9 of the firmware (the latest without going into beta territory)

I saw some comments about the USB ports not working under older versions of the firmware but as I am on the latest version I would imagine this to no longer be an issue.

Any suggestions on how to get the rear USB ports working ? My Hackintosh is useless without this :(

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I have a UP5 which has the same problem, only it shows low voltage on startup.. could this be a bios issue?

Mackintosh,

To get all your rear USB ports working properly on your board I would suggest you do these few things:

1) Use at least a 600W power supply setup

2) Update to F11 BIOS

3) Change in BIOS:

Intel Virtualisation - On
VT-d - Off
XHCI - Auto
Preboot XHCI Detection - On
XHCI Handoff - On
EHCI Handoff - On
USB 3.0 - On
Legacy USB - On

4) Do not select any USB 3.0 drivers in Multibeast - USB 3.0 ports will work natively

Middleman, Thanks for your post. I used most of your settings on my GA-Z77X-UP4 TH with positive results. Unfortunately the left and center USB3.0 ports are still non-responsive.

The good news is that the right ports and the USB3.0 header on the motherboard worked well. The USB2.0 motherboard header is also functional with speeds in line with USB2.0 performance limits.

I used AJA System Test with a file size of 4GB with a 760x468 8-bit video file. Disk cache is disabled. My test results were:

Motherboard USB2.0 Header
Write 37.3 MB/s
Read 39.8 MB/s
Write 37.3 MB/s
Read 39.8 MB/s

Right Rear Motherboard USB3.0
Write 147.1 MB/s
Read 149.1 MB/s
Write 143.5 MB/s
Read 149.5 MB/s

Motherboard USB3.0 Header
Write 147.3 MB/s
Read 149.4 MB/s
Write 143.9 MB/s
Read 149.2 MB/s

I will post my BIOS settings tomorrow. I have been working on this way too long.

Middleman, Thanks for your post. I used most of your settings on my GA-Z77X-UP4 TH with positive results. Unfortunately the left and center USB3.0 ports are still non-responsive.

The good news is that the right ports and the USB3.0 header on the motherboard worked well. The USB2.0 motherboard header is also functional with speeds in line with USB2.0 performance limits.

Those USB3 ports won't work in OSX since they are from a VIA chipset which is not supported in OSX Mountain Lion. As you said, the right ports and the header ports work since they are from the Z77 chipset which are supported in Mountain Lion.

Other similar motherboards such as the GA-Z77X-UD3H and GA-Z77X-UD4H also have this problem. This is why you don't see them on the Customac recommendations. Apart from this problem the GA-Z77X-UD4H and GA-Z77X-UP4 TH work fine with Mountain Lion.

I know about the dead ports, but I am a try everything kind of person. I also was hoping to partially address takara159's post regarding no usable ports on the back of the motherboard. Before altering the BIOS settings I was only getting USB2.0 speeds from the working ports.

There is a tremendous usability problem on a computer of this caliber without working USB3.0 ports. For the price difference in the GA-Z77X-UP4 TH versus the GA-Z77X-UP4 TH, I am pleased with the price to performance ratio. When the price of Thunderbolt devices get reasonable, this board will continue to be a viable machine.

My Geekbench scores are in the low 11K range with standard clock speed. Not too bad for an i5 processor.

hi ac3boy i was wondering what was your multibeast install settings before you implemented the kext file?

Here ya go.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-11-06 at 6.06.37 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-11-06 at 6.06.37 AM.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 324
I installed the kext and checked my MB settings, got two of the bottom usb3 ports working, the upper four on the rear would show a flash of power on the mouse, then nothing. Any ideas? Once one of the four top usb3 ports was plugged in, it would like I said, show a flash of power to the mac mouse, then nothing from any of the four ports.

Better to at least have two rear ports working i guess.

Also got a warning after installing the kext that it was not installed correctly or is corrupt. rebooted anyway, and system came up... just was not sure why that error popper up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back