Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> GA-Z77X-UD5H (rev. 1.0) and audio?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. LC
  3. Performa
  4. Plus
  5. Power Mac
  6. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
This one is very specific but I want to give it a shot...

Has anyone here tried to install Mojave public beta on GA-Z77X? I did, on my second Mac disk and got everything else to work happily except audio. So, I'm asking if you've had success with this board and to share the secret. Mine is the troublesome 1.0 revision that has had audio problems before (working only with layout ID 1 and not able to use the backpanel green port). Thanks to Toleda's CloverALC script and guide on the layout I got it to work under latest updates. But Mojave audio just won't work. The closest I've gotten was with Voodoo 2.9 where audio device was recognized. But no matter what combination of back panel ports, not a single sound got through.

With AppleALC (and Lilu) the device wasn't even recognized. I tried -lilubetaall (and sometimes -alcbeta), without those, and almost all IDs (at least 1-3, 5, 7, 11, 99)—not a chance. I also inserted the ACPI line HDA --> HDEF thing... Is there still something I could try? Any help much appreciated.

Contrary to some reports, I found Mojave to be very snappy and liked it a lot. But without sound it's quite useless, since I do editing and use Logic Pro etc.

See After Installation, Lost Audio

Audio id1 not supported in Mojave.

I have GA-Z77X-UP5-TH, device id for Audio is id1 being the normal and best solution for 5.1 audio on back panel as such, if id1 isn't supported then you'll have to inject a different audio id (2?) and go from there I would suggest.

Last edited:
Did you at least tried to patch it using MaciASL. I am pretty sure that Rehabman has patches for all this. Just give it a try

Thanks Westsurf and jbesclapez! I'll come back to this tomorrow when I have time to experiment. Yes, I've tried different IDs but so far they haven't worked. Patching is something I've been reluctant to learn but of course will have to if nothing else helps. Also I've started to consider a separate audio card. Some say it would solve many problems with future updates, too. What do you think, a bad solution?

Have thought about that option on a few occasions as audio has always been the hardest aspect to sort in my hacks. However, the audio quality from a USB stick is something I'd want to avoid.

Ah, that's too bad if true -- I didn't know. Have to think about that option again. One fellow on a Ytube video was very pleased with a USB stick audio and didn't mention any complaints about quality, but maybe he doesn't care too much?

Ah, that's too bad if true -- I didn't know. Have to think about that option again. One fellow on a Ytube video was very pleased with a USB stick audio and didn't mention any complaints about quality, but maybe he doesn't care too much?
hey, I'm having the same issue can't get the sound to work, did u find a way?

Hi Yoshy! I did get it fixed, according to Toleda's advice. I made a different thread centering around sleep issues but I also dealed with this audio problem. Since our setup is very similar you might find it helpful, hope so... Here's the solution in short, for me anyways. Good luck!

Below is my solution for Mojave. My problems were:

- sleep and shutdown caused reboot. I had to do hard resets.
- audio wasn't working. I tried Toleda's suggested method number 2.

Here's the SLEEP/SHUTDOWN fix for my setup, in four parts.

1) EFI files.

View media item 191119
View media item 191120
I also placed the DSDT.aml for my mobo in the PATCHED folder (in ACPI) but that broke my audio after I got it to work. So it may be that my powermanagement is not quite optimal now but I don't want to mess with DSDT-settings at the risk of losing audio again. (The reason was probably that the DSDT was for the newer revision of my mobo that doesn't generally have these audio issues. It's a known problem.)

2) CLOVER settings.

ACPI

View media item 191111
The second tab (2) has nothing ticked now. Under HS I needed to have two sleep related fixes ticked (check my solution for HS!). Now I added the P- and C-states.

BOOT

View media item 191112
Here I changed the parameter of darkwake to 0, added rootless=0 and kext_dev_mode=1. I also dropped dart=0. It should be noted that adding -lilubeta may have something to do with sleep as well (?) although I placed it here for audio.

CPU

View media item 191113
C2-6 also here.

DEVICES

View media item 191114
These probably don't have effect on sleep/shutdown but for audio (see below).

View media item 191115
Also, I de-cluttered my Clover boot choices which is great! Now only three choices.

KERNEL AND KEXT PATCHES

View media item 191116
These work for me (quite standard, I assume?).

3) ENERGYSAVER settings.

View media item 191117
Sorry, these are in Finnish -- but you'll learn some new language, maybe! :)

4) LIBRARY/EXTENSIONS folder kexts.

View media item 191118
It should also be noted that Adobe Creative Cloud Sync is not causing any trouble anymore as it was under HS.

And now the AUDIO fix.

I had already tried Toleda's guide (sorry that I can't link to that straight now, but you'll definitely find it pinned at the top of Mojave forum!) but for my mobo the second method didn't help out of the box. I'm quite sure it was because of this mobo revision 1.0. But I gave it one more go and first I uninstalled every audio component following the instructions to the letter. Then I downloaded the newest Lilu.kext and AppleALC.kext files. That was perhaps the most important thing to do, not to go with the same ones I had. Also, other guides said to type -lilubetaall into the Boot-section arguments but Toleda's guide has it just -lilubeta. And of course, don't forget -alcbeta. That did it: after reboot, sweet audio! AND audio also wakes from sleep -- a thing that has been troubling many.

So, I hope these may be of help!

ONE LAST THING: if you're experiencing problems with previewing JPGs and/or the Preview app crashes, pay attention to the NoVPAJpeg.kext in the EFI/CLOVER/KEXTS/OTHER folder! That completely fixed it for me.

Hi Yoshy, is it worked ?

Sorry, haven't been here lately. I hope your problem is already solved but just in case you didn't notice the bottom of my post, here's the quote:

"I had already tried Toleda's guide (sorry that I can't link to that straight now, but you'll definitely find it pinned at the top of Mojave forum!) but for my mobo the second method didn't help out of the box. I'm quite sure it was because of this mobo revision 1.0. But I gave it one more go and first I uninstalled every audio component following the instructions to the letter. Then I downloaded the newest Lilu.kext and AppleALC.kext files. That was perhaps the most important thing to do, not to go with the same ones I had. Also, other guides said to type -lilubetaall into the Boot-section arguments but Toleda's guide has it just -lilubeta. And of course, don't forget -alcbeta. That did it: after reboot, sweet audio! AND audio also wakes from sleep -- a thing that has been troubling many."

I guess the most important part was to UNINSTALL all the audio components before applying the actual method. The first time I didn't and there was no successs. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back