Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> GA-Z77X-UD5H (rev. 1.0) and audio?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Götterdämmerung! :lol: This is something unexpected... I decided to post this as a follow-up since some of you may still be sticking to High Sierra, along with Mojave (like me). This of course is very specifically related to this motherboard, as it has been a pain in the butt: in the revision 1.0 of this board there is some deficit in the audio configuration that isn't present in rev. 1.1. As a result, audio layouts have been quite a hit-and-miss AND the green rear port has never worked for me.

I've been using Mojave now for quite a while with audio working just fine (described in detail earlier here). But since I'm using GTX 670 as GPU my experience has been poor. Overall the system is laggy but video editing has been particularly frustrating. Therefore, I created a volume for High Sierra on another disk and installed it back. I tried to follow my own guide (here a few pages back) but was astonished when I didn't get audio to work. Although I THINK everything of essence was the same way as before...

Then I tried this:

- removed every trace of CloverALC method (including AppleHDA.kext in S/L/E)
- removed all kexts from L/E and copied them to ...Clover/Other (I only left Geforce and NVDA related ones to L/E because I wasn't sure about them -- NVidiaGraphicsFixUp.kext I did remove)
- put original, unpatched AppleHDA.kext into S/L/E AND rebuilt kext caches and permissions
- rebooted, to no audio devices as expected
- downloaded the latest AppleALC.kext, Lilu.Kext and NVidiaGraphicsFixUp.kext --> placed those into ...Clover/Other
- opened Clover's config.plist and made these changes:
------> ticked FixHDA (formerly FixHDA_8000?) under ACPI
------> added flags -lilubeta and -alcbeta under ACPI/DSDT
------> kept audio ID as 1 and checked "reset" under Devices
------> saved and rebooted

The audio device was recognized but at first I didn't get sound from any of the rear ports. I was becoming really frustrated at this point but then for some unexplainable reason I tried this (which is the unexpected part of this post ;)):

- put on some music from Spotify instead of just trying the alert sounds in the System Preferences audio pane.
- tried first the green and black ports --> nothing...
- tried the orange port through which I get my audio nowadays in Mojave --> alas, there was MUSIC! :wave::thumbup:

Which led me to wonder whether I would have had it earlier, too, trying the CloverALC and Multibeast methods. Because then I just kept trying to get the system alert sound to reflect the change—as I'm sure that actually many of us have been doing it, either through System Preferences pane or the menubar shortcut menu, since it's quick to choose those different ports. Well, I have to say I wouldn't have thought of this being a problem.

Now I'm extremely happy because High Sierra is just soooo fluid on my build and I get full Nvidia driver support and acceleration. I'm keeping my Mojave install and contemplating switching to AMD in the near future. Having to do so doesn't make me happy, because on Windows I play flight simulators and there's more horsepower in Nvidias for that (at least in the same price range).

Anyways, hope this might help someone with this board.

Hi,

You'll find hereafter the hardware mod to do on a rev 1.0 motherboard in order to make audio work :

GA-Z77X-UD5H-1.0 Unnutu no sound rework solution.JPG

Hi,

You'll find hereafter the hardware mod to do on a rev 1.0 motherboard in order to make audio work :

View attachment 463653

Thanks alot! Sorry, I haven't been for a while so I didn't notice your post.

I'm now under Catalina and running in the forefront with the beta program, made the switch to AMD too (Saphire RX590 Nitro+). As things are really fine now and audio keeps working flawlessly after each update I'm probably just sticking to my old audio workaround. But it's good to know this more advanced method of yours in case I need it later. Most probably I'll update the whole architecture to the next level as all this is becoming a bit archaic by the day... But where's the money? :lol:

Hi, forgive me if this is the wrong thread. I have the z77x ud5h, My GPU is GTX 680 and have successfully installed Mojave 10.14.6 on a WD 160gb drive. All is well, boot hangs for 8 seconds then boots fine and can add interanl HFS+ storage drives that mount as they should.

When I installed the same on other WD 1TB, 250gb drives. All boots well, same 8 second hang until it finds the boot loader. My main issue is that I have not been able to solve is that I cannot mount any other HFS+ internal storage drives. The system freezes before it can even find clover.

Any suggestions how to detect the problem. I have been at this for over a week now.

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back