Contribute
Register

GA-Z77X-UD5H + i7 2600K + ML - 1/2 performance until after wake!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU
i7 2600K
Graphics
GTX 770
I noticed a very odd thing recently. I was attempting to overclock my i7, (just using the turbo boost settings), so I ran GeekBench before I did any changes, and got a result of around 11,000. After I made the changes, I re-tested, and got something abound 5,700. This lead to many, many hours of mucking around with BIOS settings, including upgrading to 15q (DO NOT DO THIS - IT DOESNT WORK!). I re-flashed with BIOS 14, and got the machine running again, but I was still getting GeekBench results in the 5,000 range (at this point, I had turned off all overclocking). I finally figured out that the machine runs at basically 1/2 speed until it goes to sleep. Once it come out of sleep, my GeekBench scores go back to normal (11,000 or so). I'm giving up trying to overclock until I can figure out this problem.

Any ideas?

What system definition are you running? Z77+ SB needs to run a SB sys deffinition. Plus you need to look at power managment. DSDT and SSDT's maybe required for proper speed stepping. I wish I could help more. There is def. more work required to get SB and Z77 functioning properly. I was trying and ended up giving up. Went to Microcenter and bought a 3770k for 229$.

That's a good suggestion.
I'm running it as a "MacPro3,1"

Maybe I should try one of the i7 iMacs? What do you suggest?

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...tive-ivy-bridge-cpu-gpu-power-management.html

Have a read through that ..... They talk about SB with Z77 in point #3 and a little bit in the thread... Modified SSDT I believe is required for any SB over-clock too. You'll need to look into that as well.

Summary/Item 3 represents your situation:
1. Use a Sandy Bridge sysdef: macmini5, imac12, macbookpro8
2. You will not see the console message with a Sandy Bridge processor using Sandy Bridge power management.

Your situation requires more than just a sys definition change though. Read up on Sandy Bridge there is more to it that Ivy bridge/ Z77.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back