Contribute
Register

GA-Z77N-WIFI - Cannot select drive during ML install -- drive shows as external in Disk Utility

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z77N-WIFI
CPU
i5-3570K
Graphics
HD4000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
[SOLVED] GA-Z77N-WIFI - Cannot select drive during ML install -- drive shows as external in Disk Utility

Hello all,

using the UniBeast 1.5.3 approach with Mountain Lion, booting the GA-Z77N-WIFI from a 8GB USB stick prepared with UniBeast.

During the installation of Mountain Lion, no target drives appear to install OS X on. My SATA SSD drive shows as external, instead of internal.

What BIOS version do I need?
What is the best way to proceed? Should I add/remove kexts to the Unibeast USB stick, or should I change the BIOS to disable hot swap on the SATA drives?

Regards,

Likewise

Hello all,

using the UniBeast 1.5.3 approach with Mountain Lion, booting the GA-Z77N-WIFI from a 8GB USB stick prepared with UniBeast.

During the installation of Mountain Lion, no target drives appear to install OS X on. My SATA SSD drive shows as external, instead of internal.

What BIOS version do I need?
What is the best way to proceed? Should I add/remove kexts to the Unibeast USB stick, or should I change the BIOS to disable hot swap on the SATA drives?

Regards,

Likewise

In your BIOS, make sure the SATA ports driven from the Z77 chip where your HDD/SSD is connected has hotswap disabled.

In your BIOS, make sure the SATA ports driven from the Z77 chip where your HDD/SSD is connected has hotswap disabled.

The BIOS version was already F2.
Hotplug was already disabled for all ports.

My SSD shows is attached to SATA port P3: V4-CT032V4SSD2, this is a Crucial V4 SSD.

In fact, all the BIOS "Optimized Defaults" which I used seem to be good for what the build guides recommend.

I find it strange that nobody seems to have the issue of the drives not appearing as internal, and thus are not available for selection during installation.

[SOLVED] A-Z77N-WIFI - Cannot select drive during ML install -- drive shows as external in Disk Utility

The problem was simply caused by the fact that unpartitioned disks do not show up in the installer...

Somehow I thought that OS X would give me the option to partition such disks in the installer "wizard" instead of going through Disk Utility.

The problem was simply caused by the fact that unpartitioned disks do not show up in the installer...

Somehow I thought that OS X would give me the option to partition such disks in the installer "wizard" instead of going through Disk Utility.

No, you have to format the drive first before you can install and the only way to do that with the installer is the disk utility supplied with the installer if you haven't formatted the drive with another computer.

Well my SSD is formatted (i did this with my macbook pro and slaved the drive via USB- it is now in SATA port 0 and all other drives removed, save for the install USB) but still does not show as a selectable destination drive in the El Capitan installer?

Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back