CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
GTX 970
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
babidy said:
Hello guys,

I've waited till May to purchase a Motherboard, and I decided to go with GA-Z77MX-D3H, It's a micro ATX. I could not find any Z68 MX, nor MA. It's outdated now and Gigabyte will not sell it anymore. Will there be new mobos coming soon?

I own:

i5 2500K Sandy B.
8GB Corsair RAM
EVGA 550 Ti

If sound does not work, can purchase a sound card seperately! What do you think, will it work?

Maybe I should check some from MSI instead?

I would check out this MSI board:

http://msi.com/product/mb/Z77MA-G45.html#/?div=Detail

A few of us have had pretty good experiences getting the new MSI boards working. This model has realtek lan and 892 audio which will work much better than the board referenced above. The mATX offerings from Asus look good too.

The only thing wrong with the mATX Gigabyte Z77s right now is the VIA audio. If you don't care about that, or don't mind VoodooHDA, you're good to go. The UEFI is exactly the same as the ones that work with sleep/wake without DSDT.

As wfj said, the MSI/ASUS ones also have compatible hardware, but will require either BIOS edits or Kext edits (ie speedstepper) for full power management.

I'd definitely like to get that figured out too. As I've said, it doesn't effect any functionality and my hunch is that it has something to do with fakesmc. Time will tell. If possible the basic recipe for an easy to use Z77 board appears to be intel/realtek lan with realtek 892 audio. Another board that fits this profile is the Asus P8Z77M-Pro. I'm probably going to order one in the next week and try it out, time permitting.

wfj said:
I'd definitely like to get that figured out too. As I've said, it doesn't effect any functionality and my hunch is that it has something to do with fakesmc. Time will tell. If possible the basic recipe for an easy to use Z77 board appears to be intel/realtek lan with realtek 892 audio. Another board that fits this profile is the Asus P8Z77M-Pro. I'm probably going to order one in the next week and try it out, time permitting.
ASUSes won't be more troublesome because of the closed BIOS? Leaving these aside looks like MSI and ASUS is now more Hackintoshable than Gigabyte.(VIA Audio, you know...)

Mate94 said:
wfj said:
ASUSes won't be more troublesome because of the closed BIOS? Leaving these aside looks like MSI and ASUS is now more Hackintoshable than Gigabyte.(VIA Audio, you know...)

The closed bios is not that big of a deal in my opinion since you can just use the speedstepper patch. You're basically talking about an extra mouse click when running multibeast and making a back copy of AICPUPM.kext. I've tried boards with via audio before and would never bother with it again...too much hassle and never could get decent sound from the voodoo kexts.

wfj said:
Mate94 said:
wfj said:

The closed bios is not that big of a deal in my opinion since you can just use the speedstepper patch. You're basically talking about an extra mouse click when running multibeast and making a back copy of AICPUPM.kext. I've tried boards with via audio before and would never bother with it again...too much hassle and never could get decent sound from the voodoo kexts.
Just because I saw that Revogirl is struggling with the 3K UEFI-BIOS from ASUS, but now I am calm. And it is clear for me now why we don't need(or will need) DSDT for the motherboards. 1st article.
I hope everything will be fine, with Mountain Lion and the Ivy Bridge kernel support.

P.S: My future plan is a ASUS P8H77M-Pro. :)

babidy said:
I will wait until monday to confirm if it happens the same to the other member who says is receiving it on Monday and decide finally. In case I chose GIGABYTE, if Voodoo isn't working, can't I just get a SOUND CARD standalone and install it on the slot?
I also want the HDMI to work since I want to plug it on TV to see on big screen the movies.

Thanks,

The HDMI works only on HD3000 or a compatible ATI or Nvidia card. And you NEED onboard sound working natively if you want audio through HDMI as well... so I would go with another, more compatible (realtek audio) board.

As far as I know, Realtek does not make add in sound cards that work with OSX.

babidy said:
Gordo74 said:
babidy said:
I will wait until monday to confirm if it happens the same to the other member who says is receiving it on Monday and decide finally. In case I chose GIGABYTE, if Voodoo isn't working, can't I just get a SOUND CARD standalone and install it on the slot?
I also want the HDMI to work since I want to plug it on TV to see on big screen the movies.

Thanks,

The HDMI works only on HD3000 or a compatible ATI or Nvidia card. And you NEED onboard sound working natively if you want audio through HDMI as well... so I would go with another, more compatible (realtek audio) board.

As far as I know, Realtek does not make add in sound cards that work with OSX.

I have EVGA GTX 550 ti. I will not use onboard graphics. I am worried about the sound. Otherwise I will make dual boot with windows and problems solved. But...I still want to know if I can put a graphic card, just in case Voodoo will not work perfectly. Like something like creative X-FI.

No. You cannot.

And you need onboard sound working NATIVELY (without voodoo) to get HDMI audio working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back