Motherboard
Asus X299 WS Sage
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
iMac, Mac Pro
Just curious. Did you add kext-dev-mode=1 to org.chameleon.Boot.plist, or did you add it at boot screen via the command line when booting into your hard drive?

Motherboard
Giagbyte GA-Z77-DS3H
CPU
Intel Core i5 3570K
Graphics
Nvidia Gigabyte GTX 760
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Android
when you're in Chimera you press any key, then move to to the hard drive/partition you want to boot from and then just start typing the command kext-dev-mode=1 and hit enter. You will now boot with kext-dev-mode=1!:thumbup: if your hackintosh boots properly, go to Multibeast and check the setting "Kext Dev Mode" and apply. Now you should be able too boot without the command "kext-dev-mode=1":D

hope this helped

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H
CPU
i5-3570K
Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
Hi, your method did manage to let me boot from the USB drive and I have installed Yosemite but... I sometimes have to reboot a couple of times before Yosemite starts properly. The black bar on the grey Apple screen takes ages to move and sometimes freezes when it reaches the middle. If I reboot, after the grey screen, I get a dark screen with a white bar which if it moves quickly Yosemite boots properly. Sometimes when the desktop appears the resolution is obviously very low and the screen icons are stacked overlapping each other and that means another reboot. The beach ball :beachball: appears more than I think it should but when Yosemite loads properly all seems to work well, the computer even goes into hibernation now which it didn't with the previous OSs. Any suggestion how I might stabilise the system so that it always boots quickly and correctly into Yosemite?

Motherboard
Giagbyte GA-Z77-DS3H
CPU
Intel Core i5 3570K
Graphics
Nvidia Gigabyte GTX 760
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Android
my boot times are waaaaaay slower than with Mavericks and Mountain Lion.:( Mountain Lion took about 10 seconds, Mavericks took 30 sec and now Yosemite takes just under a minute.:thumbdown: On other real macs it also takes way longer (Mac Mini, Mac Pro). I guess that's normal even if you would have a powerful machine. I'm not sure if you can do anything to fix this?

Have you tried to boot in safe mode or other modes? (you can see the Chimera help menu by pressing any key when in Chimera and then press the down key. I believe you can also boot from safe mode there). grey screen sounds like you could try booting with KextDevMode=1 or KextDevMode=0 if you normally boot with kext dev mode.

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H
CPU
i5-3570K
Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
Booting in safe mode is quicker - but not much and it did go first time without any reboots. Not sure what 'KextDevMode=1 or KextDevMode=0 if you normally boot with kext dev mode' entails or really means. I followed your guide and added the bits I thought I'd need from Multibeast. How do I boot with one of these modes?
A further problem has materialised in that I have no sound. I bought a very cheap usb 'sound card' for Mountain Lion and it has worked well enough right up to but not including Yosemite. No drivers came with the device, any clues to get that going or better still the onboard sound?

Thanks a lot for your help and interest.

Motherboard
Giagbyte GA-Z77-DS3H
CPU
Intel Core i5 3570K
Graphics
Nvidia Gigabyte GTX 760
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Android
Because you don't know what Kext Dev Mode means, I assume you do not normally boot with Kext Dev Mode.

In that case, try booting with KextDevMode=1 (type this into Chimera when booting).
(You can also try booting in Safe Mode and KextDevMode=1.)

If that worked, let me know and I can tell you how you can boot without always typing those commands into Chimera via Multibeast.:thumbup:

Stork

Admin
Staff member
Motherboard
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO Z370
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
For installing and running Yosemite, you have to use "kext-dev-mode=1" (MultiBeast for Yosemite - see tonymacx86 Yosemite Guides) or Yosemite will not load modified (unsigned by Apple) kext/drivers. The need for this kernel flag was discovered by PikeRalpha early in the Yosemita developer releases, IIRC.

If you used MultiBeast for Yosemite, it is already in your /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist file as a kernel flag. If not, run MultiBeast selecting that option. You may have to boot at the Chimera screen with kext-dev-mode=1 to get to the Yosemite Desktop.

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H
CPU
i5-3570K
Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
Hi Neotil, I tried 'KextDevMode=1' to boot and it was quicker and without incident. How would I normally ascertain what mode my Hack is booting into? (I have not been making notes of my Multibeast selections)
As your motherboard is the same as my own and you said you would be using a USB sound card is my quest for onboard sound a lost cause? Furthermore what special additions might I need from Multibeast to enable a USB sound card? Mine is a very cheap flash-drive sized device but has been good so far. You mentioned in your guide '
Don't select any of the two support options', which if I remember right concerns USB support? Could this influence the

lack of audio output?I am used to looking at the Windows 'device manager' to see if anything is out of kilter, What is the

procedure with OS X?

I'm sorry to go 'off track' but I could ask a thousand question of someone versed in OS X.

Thanks for your help.

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H
CPU
i5-3570K
Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
Hi, I did use Multibeast for Yosemite so I guess I do use KextDevMode=1. The Hack does appear to have 'settled down' now which doesn't make much sense as I haven't done anything to it - audio hasn't re-emerged though!
I have a lot to learn. Thanks for the advice.

Motherboard
Giagbyte GA-Z77-DS3H
CPU
Intel Core i5 3570K
Graphics
Nvidia Gigabyte GTX 760
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Android
happy to hear your hackintosh is better now even if you didn't do anything:lol:

to use the onboard sound you need to download Multibeast 5 or lower I think, then find the yosemite multibeast and 5 in finder, right click and select show package contents on both. Then you need to take the audio driver that you need from multibeast 5 and swap it for the audio driver in the Yosemite Multibeast. Then open multibeast Yosemite and use your settings, apply and reboot.

It should work now, but I wasn't able to get sound after sleep unless i spammed the volume up button on wake until I heard sound from the speakers, so I use a sound card now.

To use a sound card you normally don't need to use any special multibeast settings, but you need to go to settings->sound then select your usb device.:thumbup: