Gigabyte Z390 Designare - Clover
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
Hello!

I need some help with a very weird problem. I am getting bad pixels/glitch in some of the opened windows of my High Sierra. It does not always happens, but is quite frequent, and when it starts it wont stop until it fills up every window and I can only restart the computer. I must say it is extremely annoying. Could be in any software and surprisingly it affects only the window of that software but not the rest of the screen.

I am attaching pictures of the problem, plus as much info of my install documentation, to see if anyone can help me solve this issue. Thanks!!

OSX Version: High Sierra 10.13.4
Processor: i5 3570
GPU: Nvidia GTX 660Ti
MOBO: GA Z77-DS3H
Guide used: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/success-asus-z170-pro-gaming-i5-6500-gtx-970.233447/
I know my Mobo does not match the one on the guide, but so far this guide has given me the best results when installing.
Nvidia Cuda: 396.64 (Up to date)
Nvidia WebDriver: 387.10.10.10.30.106 (Up to date)

Attachments

• GTX 660Ti.zip
    8.8 MB · Views: 130
Hello!

I need some help with a very weird problem. I am getting bad pixels/glitch in some of the opened windows of my High Sierra. It does not always happens, but is quite frequent, and when it starts it wont stop until it fills up every window and I can only restart the computer. I must say it is extremely annoying. Could be in any software and surprisingly it affects only the window of that software but not the rest of the screen.

I am attaching pictures of the problem, plus as much info of my install documentation, to see if anyone can help me solve this issue. Thanks!!

OSX Version: High Sierra 10.13.4
Processor: i5 3570
GPU: Nvidia GTX 660Ti
MOBO: GA Z77-DS3H
Guide used: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/success-asus-z170-pro-gaming-i5-6500-gtx-970.233447/
I know my Mobo does not match the one on the guide, but so far this guide has given me the best results when installing.
Nvidia Cuda: 396.64 (Up to date)
Nvidia WebDriver: 387.10.10.10.30.106 (Up to date)

This is a known problem in High Sierra.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/gtx-660-glitch-issue-with-macos-high-sierra-10-13.233101/
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/high-sierra-660ti-graphics-issues.231979/

As long as you are using a GTX660 / 660Ti with High Sierra you are probably going to have graphics glitch problems, as you have already seen. This problem does not manifest itself if you are using an older MacOS version such as Sierra.

I'm coming across this to see if there was any resolution to this problem. I've just rejoined the community after several years away, and was successful installing Catalina on an old motherboard (see below) with an old Gigabyte 660ti. I was thrilled to see this old dog would work; but now bummed to see this glitch after I thought everything was working. Looks like it wasn't resolved. I thought after reading the supported NVIDIA card post by Tonymac that identified 6xx and 7xx series cards as natively supported there had been a workaround. So far my novice search hasn't turned up anything; sorry for missing it if its obviously fixed on some other thread.

Best, -Jim

OSX Version: Catalina 10.15.5
Processor: i7 3770K
GPU: Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 660Ti
MOBO: GA Z77x-UP5 TH

I'm coming across this to see if there was any resolution to this problem. I've just rejoined the community after several years away, and was successful installing Catalina on an old motherboard (see below) with an old Gigabyte 660ti. I was thrilled to see this old dog would work; but now bummed to see this glitch after I thought everything was working. Looks like it wasn't resolved. I thought after reading the supported NVIDIA card post by Tonymac that identified 6xx and 7xx series cards as natively supported there had been a workaround. So far my novice search hasn't turned up anything; sorry for missing it if its obviously fixed on some other thread.

Best, -Jim

OSX Version: Catalina 10.15.5
Processor: i7 3770K
GPU: Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 660Ti
MOBO: GA Z77x-UP5 TH

If Apple or Nvidia wanted to fix this problem they would have done so by now, almost 3 years after the release of High Sierra.

Replace your graphics card with a Catalina supported GPU (e.g. RX 580) if you want to fix this problem.

If you want to stay with HS and Nvidia an used (cheap now) GTX 1050 maybe could help. I had an Pascal (web drivers needed) 1030 which worked very good, but that would be an speed downgrade to GTX 660TI. GTX 1060 would be an significant upgrade - for both games & gpu compute - GTX 1050 would have speed boost in games, gpu compute speed similar). Pascal cards have much butter watt/speed value and also are more silent.

For future, as said in last post, switch to an AMD RX 470, RX 570, RX 580 ist an must. 460/560 to slow compared to 660TI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back