Contribute
Register

GA-Z77-DS3H Boot Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've narrowed down my issue to have to use an SSDT. I have am able to boot fine and use the OS with full graphics if I do not have an SSDT in /Extra. If I put in an SSDT, it does not boot into the OS. I have tried the standard Multibeast I5 and OC'd i5/i7 SSDTs, also tried a custom OC'd SSDT that i've been using in Lion and all have the same effect. I've attached my boot.plist and smbios.plist files. I'm at a loss on how to proceed and have full use of my CPU. Any ideas?

Attachments

• org.chameleon.Boot.plist
    683 bytes · Views: 263
  • smbios.plist
    468 bytes · Views: 207
I've narrowed down my issue to have to use an SSDT. I have am able to boot fine and use the OS with full graphics if I do not have an SSDT in /Extra. If I put in an SSDT, it does not boot into the OS. I have tried the standard Multibeast I5 and OC'd i5/i7 SSDTs, also tried a custom OC'd SSDT that i've been using in Lion and all have the same effect. I've attached my boot.plist and smbios.plist files. I'm at a loss on how to proceed and have full use of my CPU. Any ideas?
Nothing special in your files, I have the same.
I you have additional NullCPUMananagment kext, you can try to delete.
This mobo (as my UD5H) needs only the config files in Extra, FakeSMC.kext and regular Apple kext to boot. SSDT or not is normally not affecting the boot (it is only a question of overclock or not).

I also was unable to boot into Mountain Lion, I found out it was my OCZ SSD, I noticed you also have an OCZ Hard-drive, Lion worked fine but the drive was not compatible with Mountain Lion, I found out while searching the internet about the OCZ, I read comments and read that OCZ has problems with ML. Rarely I was able to boot ML, mostly after reinstall, but after replacing the drive with a different Brand name, it was a piece of cake.

P.S. I downgrade to Lion since Mountain Lion does not like gaming on my 550ti, I suggest you also do that, since the 550ti is better then the 880. I still kept ML on my other drive thou as a test to see if any updates to fix the gaming problems (the crashing, freezing and flickering graphics while playing games).

You might try the same, but first try a none OCZ drive like one you have laying around for a test even if its a mechanical drive.

Thanks. My Mountain Lion trials have been on a WD 250GB SATA hard drive, I left my Lion install on the OCZ SSD and unplugged it for my Mountain Lion trials. Didn't want to screw up my perfectly good Lion install until I get Mountain Lion working perfectly on the WD 250GB. But, I did try installing Mountain Lion on the SSD after performing a backup once and it installed fine and behaved the same way. Boot up only without an SSDT, so am thinking its not the OCZ SSD.

I don't really game that much and have another build running Windows on 2600K for that. So for my OSX uses, the 8800GTS is actually a bit overkill.

MarcelBidon,
I've made sure NullCpu was not in my kexts, have FakeSMC.kext from Multibeast. I have tried stock and OC'd and both cause the same problem if I have an SSDT. Without an SSDT, doesnt matter, it will boot just fine but be stuck at x16. I'm thinking its just something with my 7 series board and Sandy Bridge chip, probably will end up just buying an Ivy 3570K and hope that it solves my problems.

So...f8...a good choice or bad?

I never tried F8. Was able to get F6 from the Gigabyte website, I'd recommend sticking with F6 as most people on here seem to have the best luck with F6.

MarcelBidon,
I've made sure NullCpu was not in my kexts, have FakeSMC.kext from Multibeast. I have tried stock and OC'd and both cause the same problem if I have an SSDT. Without an SSDT, doesnt matter, it will boot just fine but be stuck at x16. I'm thinking its just something with my 7 series board and Sandy Bridge chip, probably will end up just buying an Ivy 3570K and hope that it solves my problems.
Normally no problem with Sandybridge processors on Ivybridge. I have myself an i7 2600k on Z77 an no problem even with overclocking.
You can try to remove SSDT and also remove from your boot.plist:
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
They are not needed with this mobo and they might make trouble.

I seen in the past, posts about problem of beeing stuck at x16 (ivybridge under Lion), may be you can have a look.
I don't remember the solution.

Check also if you don't have x16 in your bios (it might happens after failed overclocking recovered by the system).

So...f8...a good choice or bad?

I'm using F8, in F8 there are a few more settings in Bios like wake on mouse, and rapid start is now selectable, used to be greyed out.

is it possible to downgrade from F8 if there is problems? to F6 for example.

Normally no problem with Sandybridge processors on Ivybridge. I have myself an i7 2600k on Z77 an no problem even with overclocking.
You can try to remove SSDT and also remove from your boot.plist:
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
They are not needed with this mobo and they might make trouble.

I seen in the past, posts about problem of beeing stuck at x16 (ivybridge under Lion), may be you can have a look.
I don't remember the solution.

Check also if you don't have x16 in your bios (it might happens after failed overclocking recovered by the system).

Tried this as well on a fresh install again. Did the same thing, sometimes on verbose boot it will keep scrolling with (Debugger Called (double)) and I have to force reboot. I'm thinking this is just a case of a Sandy Bridge chip on a 7 series board, guess it's just my luck as I've tried everything based on the suggestions and have the same issue. Boots fine if I do not have an SSDT of any kind in /Extra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back