Graphics
Radeon 6870 2GB
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hey guys, I've had my custom system for about 9 months now, and I've had overclocking in mind since the beginning. I bought a 3770K and a Noctua NH-D14 air cooler to feature in my build for high clock speeds and quiet running. I've been at stock speeds up until now, and finally decided it was time to unleash the beast. I reinstalled my NH-D14, making sure I optimized the airflow, and got to work. I opened the BIOS and looked to see how high I could go. I crept the clock speed up to 3.72 ghz without hiccups, but anything more produced problems. I went into the voltage settings to bump up the cpu voltage and continue to raise the clock speed, but was surprised to find that there was no option to change the VCore voltage. Therefore, I can not safely raise the clock speed past 3.72 ghz, even though my cpu temperatures are around 50 degrees at full stress.

Am I the only one who has this problem? Is there any way to fix it?

I have the same problem, try to disable generate P State and C State (install chameleon wizard to be easy). My system is at work and i don't want to try this now because i have a lot of projects on going. If you have more courage :) tell ma after if the problem can solved with this. Good luck!

I opened the BIOS and looked to see how high I could go. I crept the clock speed up to 3.72 ghz without hiccups, but anything more produced problems. I went into the voltage settings to bump up the cpu voltage and continue to raise the clock speed, but was surprised to find that there was no option to change the VCore voltage. Therefore, I can not safely raise the clock speed past 3.72 ghz, even though my cpu temperatures are around 50 degrees at full stress.

First off, let's go back to basics:

Your i7-3770K runs with a default multiplier of 35 (times the base clock of 100 MHz comes to 3.5 GHz). But with turbo enabled this isn't really important information. What matters is the turbo multiplier it uses. Intel defines the defaults for the 3770K as 39/39/38/37 (for 1/2/3/4 cores active). Unless you get the funky new IB power management working OS X will usually be running with 4 "active" cores 99% of the time, so it's the last number (37) which is important. Thus a stock 3770K is effectively a 3.7 GHz processor.

Unless you disable EIST in the BIOS, About This Mac will display the default clock (3.5 GHz). But using HWMonitor you can see a pretty graph of what frequency the CPU is actually running at at any point. It will probably idle at 1.6 GHz, and skip up to a few higher values and then to the max configured in the BIOS. Note that the base 100 MHz clock in some boards is often reported as 99.something, and this flows through to the frequency reported once the multiplier is put in. But the same basic theory applies.

Many Gigabyte boards (I presume this includes your GA-Z77-DS3H) overclock the CPU by default, meaning that at "Auto" settings your CPU will probably be a 3.9 GHz CPU.

With Ivy Bridge the simplest form of overclocking is to simply increase the turbo multiplier. Leave the base 35 multiplier alone, but take the 4 turbo values from Auto to 40, and check it runs smoothly. Take them to 41, and test again. Etc...
As you get higher the average temperature will increase, and after a while tweaking the V[sub]core[/sub] will reduce that. In my systems I set the V[sub]core[/sub] to "Normal" (instead of "Auto") and then change the offset (instead of setting a static V[sub]core[/sub] value). Beyond that you can tweak more settings, but through these simple changes I've had no trouble setting an i7-3770K to 4.5 GHz, an i7-3770 (non-K) to 4.1 GHz, and an i5-3570K to 4.3 GHz. At some point in the future I might get enthused and tweak them further, but getting this far wasn't hard.

I tend to leave all the four multipliers the same. If the system does manage to shut down a core I don't want it crashing because it's reached a clock speed that hasn't been tested and bedded in.

You can tweak the system further by increasing the base 100 MHz clock (and in the old days this was the fundamental way of overclocking) but the amount you can increase this is limited. This clock affects the timings used by the PCIe bus, the RAM, and the Z77 chipset itself. For most people the bigger and safer "bang" is achieved by simply increasing the CPU multipliers.

I really like this approach...only bump the processor when you need it instead of increasing the base clock multiplier. I just switched from a base of 40x back to 35x and increased the turbo settings to a modest 43x; Geekbench went from 14,705 to 15,930, an 8% increase, and the core temperatures have dropped a few degrees from their average before the change.

Even though I spend most of my day in Adobe Creative Suite, I'm guessing that 99% of the time I don't even trip into turbo mode.

Perry
KidPub Press

I overclocked my 3570k to 4.2 Ghz, the process was extremely strange though. Even if you increase the turbo clock, the system does not use this setting without some changes. I have a Z77-DS3H rev 1.1 with B9 bios, I will post my BIOS settings if you request, but essentially you have to have turbo always on and just allow it to clock itself down if there is no load, also set everything to auto.

Good evening,
this is my second post, i'm italian and my english is not perfect so be patient with me!
I overclocked my CPU into the BIOS @4.3Ghz and the RAM @2000mhz (GA-Z77-DS3H i7 3770K 16 gb DDR3 Corsair vengeance pro Corsair H90 cooler )

In order to do the overclock I only raised up the CPU multiplier to 43, but not more, because our mobo hasn't got the Vcore setting so I cannot reach stables higher speeds. But for now 4.3 GHz satisfies me.

I had only a problem:
when I boot on Mac OS X, HWMonitor recognizes a maximum CPU multiplier of 35 and my geekbench 2 score is about 13600 but if I go to sleep and after I wake from sleep, suddenly (by magic) HWMonitor recognises the correct speed of 4.3 ghz (geekbench score: 16402)! My OC is really effective only after a wake from sleep. I'm stunned.

Of course i deleted NullCpuPowerManagement and I put an SSDT into /Extra.

I don't understand what happens, because also my USB 3 ports work only after a wake from sleep and before devices plugged into that ports are not recognized by the system.

So I don't know if is a Power management issue or an other thing.
Could you help me? (If this post is not in the correct section, i can write it into another sub-forum for example into the SSDT forum).

Thank you

Tiberio Galbiati

Does anyone know how much of an over clock this board will handle?

For me the max stable speed with i7 3770K and ga-z77-ds3h is 4.3 ghz ( @ 4.4 prime95 crash in about 5 minutes).
If the mobo had the vcore settings...

I overclocked my 3570k to 4.2 Ghz, the process was extremely strange though. Even if you increase the turbo clock, the system does not use this setting without some changes. I have a Z77-DS3H rev 1.1 with B9 bios, I will post my BIOS settings if you request, but essentially you have to have turbo always on and just allow it to clock itself down if there is no load, also set everything to auto.

I don't mean to threadjack but i would be interested in seeing your bios setup as i have the same Mobo and cpu and am currently researching overclocking options with my setup. Or anyone else that is overclocking with this mobo please. Thanks.

I don't mean to threadjack but i would be interested in seeing your bios setup as i have the same Mobo and cpu and am currently researching overclocking options with my setup. Or anyone else that is overclocking with this mobo please. Thanks.

I am running the same mobo and cpu on win 7 64bit pro with 16gb Kingston HyperX red DDR3. I have reached stable OC at 4.2 with a continuous frontside bus mods at 1.02V. I have also reached 4.2 GHz with a Turbo OC keeping the frontside bus multiplier at 34 and all power saving options on auto. I like this option because it will let the mobo decide when to kick in the OC and save any unneeded stress on the CPU. I have not been able to OC beyond 4.2 in any fashion (stable or Turbo)... at 4.3 the stress test fails with a blue screen.

My CPU temps range between 50 to 54 C while running prime95. I have a Corsair H55 watercooler hooked up and it appears to be keeping things in check. Temps also drop immediately to around 32 C once the stress test is stopped, this is where they normally range during default bios settings as well.

I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back