Graphics
ATI Radeon 6870
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've built the second hack with this board. Both are loaded with Corsair RAM (16GB). Machine #1 works like a champ. Machine #2 rejects anything over 8MB of RAM. When the additional sticks are in place, it goes into a continuous reboot cycle. It spins up for 5 seconds then reboots ... it repeats this infinitely.

Here are the steps I've taken to fix it ...

• Moved memory around to see if I had a bad stick. Appeared to be a slot issue. No joy.[/*:m:1588umqi]
  • Replaced motherboard (RMA to NewEgg) because I thought it was a bad memory slot. No joy.[/*:m:1588umqi]
  • Replaced RAM with new set in new mobo. No joy.[/*:m:1588umqi]

At this point, I suspect I have setting wrong in BIOS, but I've looked and don't see anything out of place.

So, I need a sanity check! Anyone else seen this issue? if so, what was the fix?

Thanks,

KMH

When using 16gb of ram sometimes you must increase the voltage to your memory chips. For example if they are rated at 1.5v try 1.58 or higher in small steps until the system is stable. To get the maximum voltage for your specific ram use google.

Wingfat said:
When using 16gb of ram sometimes you must increase the voltage to your memory chips. For example if they are rated at 1.5v try 1.58 or higher in small steps until the system is stable. To get the maximum voltage for your specific ram use google.

Thanks for the help WingFat. I did that and still could not get the RAM to work. I bought two more sets of replacement RAM one from Corsair and one from G-Skill. Both failed. So, I think I got a second bad mobo. Now, I have to RMA the mobo ... again. :(

This is a consisntent, known problem with this board and all of the Z68 boards from Gigabyte. I have RMA-ed three now trying to sort it out. Moving to another 1155 board.

kmhacker said:
This is a consisntent, known problem with this board and all of the Z68 boards from Gigabyte. I have RMA-ed three now trying to sort it out. Moving to another 1155 board.

Please provide a reference to this "known problem" as I was just about to purchase additional RAM... Thanks;

WF

No issues here with my 16GB (4x4GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM kit (CML16GX3M4A1600C9) installed on a Z68X-UD5-B3 running firmware F7. I'm even configured it for 1600Mhz and have no problems so far.

Hi
I've got exactly the same problem with my z68xp-ud5 and Corsair Vengeance Ram, I have a workaround, as the problem only occurs after disconnecting the power. I turn the power on and then turn it of until the blue light on the internal power switch just about goes out, then switch the power back on. The machine starts up and runs perfectly, starts up and shuts down etc, until the next time I disconnect the power at the psu. Weird! I tried everything I can think of including changing Ram all to no effect. I only bought this board because I wanted the Texas Instrument Firewire, Other than that issue it's been great, but I will be looking to replace it if the USB3 issue isn't resolved soon.
Hope this helps.

I'm having a problem with my UD4 B3 recognizing the speed of my memory.

Using the Corsair 4x4gb for 16gb DDR3 at 1600 and it's constantly fighting me to push it back down to 1333. I get bios warnings that the voltage or something is not right and forces it down to 1333.

I'm pretty lost at this point. Happens infrequently but enough to be a concern, despite possibly loosing the speed if it only recognizes 1333 out of 1600.

Have you got XMP, profile 1 set in the bios?

BlankFrank said:
Have you got XMP, profile 1 set in the bios?

This worked, forgot to mention. Now it sticks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back