Contribute
Register

GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 BIOS turbo ratio 4-core not setable? (i7-2600k)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3
CPU
i7 2600k
Graphics
GTX 960
Hi there,

I'm discovering the joy of speedstep, turbo boost and OC'ing. Too easy with the 10.7.4 updates!

I've been toying around with the CPU and turbo ratio multipliers. I've noticed that the BIOS (F10) won't accept certain values by returning them to AUTO, most notably the 4-core turbo ratio setting. I haven't been able to set it to anything else than the base multiplier. Also setting it to AUTO effectively runs it at the base multiplier. This is verified using MSRDumper.

Did anyone manage to change it?

Btw, I went up to base x38 and turbo x38-x40-x41-x42. CPU getting really hot so I reverted to base x36 and turbo x36-x38-x39-x40 till I replace the stock cooler.

Greetz D.

I am having the same issue too, I think. It doesn't matter if I turn turbo to Auto or Enabled, I can't change any of the turbo values. My i5-3570k will run to 3.8 but the bios is set to a multiplier of 36.... so I can't use all the processors performance.

And kind of on a side note... what is the point of having a 3.4ghz stock CPU that, with C states enabled, runs either at 1.6 OR the max turbo value you have set (in my case, 3.6ghz not 3.8 like it should be). Its more like I have a 1.6ghz cpu that can run itself up to 3.6ghz if it needs to. At least, that is how my system is handling it right now. So confusing...

Seems not to be entirely the same. I can set base clock and turbo ratios at will, just not the ratio for 4 cores/threads.

Are you checking your multi using MSRDumper or HWmonitor? HWmonitor doesn't report correctly on some systems, including mine.

Btw, I'm still on Lion.

I am using HWMonitor. I think its working properly... It shows all 4 clocks being at 1.6ghz and then shows them at 3.6ghz when encoding.

For the bios issue, I am wondering if moving to the UEFI bios will fix the issue. I can't be doing something wrong as when you set the Turbo setting to Enabled it should allow me to change the turbo ratios. Nothing changes when I switch it between Auto and Enable. Also, when I change my core clock, without messing with turbo, from say stock at 3.4ghz to a ratio of 38 it shows that it should be running at 3.8ghz but it will still only run at 3.4 (or 3.6 with turbo still enabled).

Its not a huge deal, I'd just like to know how this stuff is supposed to work and why it isn't working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back