Contribute
Register

GA-Z370 Aorus 7 Can't boot installer - please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte z370 Auros Gaming 7
CPU
i5-8600K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi folks,

Days of beating my head against a wall...

I had a working hack running High Sierra, but felt it was time to update. So I grabbed the Big Sur installer, worked carefully through the Dortania guide and... am getting nowhere. I've tried using the EFI files working for others on my motherboard with no success. But my machine is a bit different than theirs.

I see two likely areas of trouble:

1) I'm running a Crucial CT525 MX300 NVMe instead of the Samsung. The BIOS sees this as a SATA drive even though it operates at NVMe speeds
2) No matter what I try, I cannot disable CSM in the BIOS. Doing so results in a series of beep codes ending in the LCD showing d6. As suggested elsewhere, I have set Win 10 WHQL and UEFI for all of the boot options.

I have stripped everything out of my machine except the NVMe drive and one Sapphire Pulse RX580. No Wifi. No Bluetooth. No USB devices except the keyboard, mouse and installer drive.

If I disable SMCProcessor.kext and AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext my system either freezes or reboots at the PCI initialization. If I enable either or both kexts, I get a kernel panic. I've included screenshots of both.

All of my SSDTs are being created with SSDTTime from a Fedora live boot USB.

I'm confident I'm missing something obvious, but I can't figure out what it is. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Full Hardware specs:

MB: GA-Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 BIOS: F15a w/ CFG-LOCK removed
CPU: Intel i5 8600K
RAM: 32GB 2x16gb G.Skill Flare X 2400
NVMe: Crucial CT525 MX300

Attachments

• IMG_0333.jpg
    IMG_0333.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0334.jpg
    IMG_0334.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 32
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-24 at 12.20.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-24 at 12.20.09 PM.png
    365.4 KB · Views: 30
  • config.plist
    25.4 KB · Views: 32
Hi folks,

Days of beating my head against a wall...

I had a working hack running High Sierra, but felt it was time to update. So I grabbed the Big Sur installer, worked carefully through the Dortania guide and... am getting nowhere. I've tried using the EFI files working for others on my motherboard with no success. But my machine is a bit different than theirs.

I see two likely areas of trouble:

1) I'm running a Crucial CT525 MX300 NVMe instead of the Samsung. The BIOS sees this as a SATA drive even though it operates at NVMe speeds
2) No matter what I try, I cannot disable CSM in the BIOS. Doing so results in a series of beep codes ending in the LCD showing d6. As suggested elsewhere, I have set Win 10 WHQL and UEFI for all of the boot options.

I have stripped everything out of my machine except the NVMe drive and one Sapphire Pulse RX580. No Wifi. No Bluetooth. No USB devices except the keyboard, mouse and installer drive.

If I disable SMCProcessor.kext and AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext my system either freezes or reboots at the PCI initialization. If I enable either or both kexts, I get a kernel panic. I've included screenshots of both.

All of my SSDTs are being created with SSDTTime from a Fedora live boot USB.

I'm confident I'm missing something obvious, but I can't figure out what it is. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Full Hardware specs:

MB: GA-Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 BIOS: F15a w/ CFG-LOCK removed
CPU: Intel i5 8600K
RAM: 32GB 2x16gb G.Skill Flare X 2400
NVMe: Crucial CT525 MX300
Did you try using CLOVER (Eg: Ver 5131) as the boot loader? I have been able to run Big Sur 11.2.3 along with Windows 10 Pro + Mint 20.1 on GA Z370 PD3, z390-Gaming X, and earlier Intel Chipset Series 6, 7, 8, 9, 100 and 200. In BIOS you do have to ENABLE CSM

Attachments

• 1.Desktop.png
    1.Desktop.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 28
  • 3.Sytem report_Hardware Overview.png
    3.Sytem report_Hardware Overview.png
    116.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 2.AboutThisMacOverview.png
    2.AboutThisMacOverview.png
    96.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 4.BIOS Features CSM Enabled UEFI .jpg
    4.BIOS Features CSM Enabled UEFI .jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 1.CLOVER Boot Menu screen.png
    1.CLOVER Boot Menu screen.png
    498 KB · Views: 32
Hi - If you're still having problems booting BS, I took a look at your config.plist and made a few adjustments to it for you to try. I suggest you copy it to your EFI Folder and then copy the EFI Folder to a spare USB disk to see if you can at least reach the Boot Menu.

One of the most important aspect of BS is to insure the BIOS has the correct settings. I would suggest to reset the Board's BIOS to the Optimise Settings, reboot then tweak the settings for BS then try the revised config.plist.
The config.plist is for BS as close as the OC Devs intended and not for the Clover branch and will not work.

If the revised config.plist is still problematic, there are plenty of working BS examples with your specs so I suggest beg, borrow, or steal the EFI Folder just to get you up and running. Yes I know it is not the ideal solution but you will be able to learn and pick up tips along the way and see what you was missing. (revised config.plist attached) Good luck.

PS. You may need to update to the latest OC version as I noticed you have some Keys missing. If you do update just copy the entries from the revised config.plist and leave the New added Keys as Default for the time being.

Attachments

• config.plist
    16.9 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back