Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-z270MX Gaming 5
CPU
i7 KabyLake
Graphics
GTX770
Hi there

I've successfully built my first hackintosh running Sierra 10.12.5. I've added an GC-Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3 add-on card in pic slot 4 and can't get OS X to recognize it. Through windows 10 I've updated the FW on that card and have the latest bios (F4) for the MB.
After browsing around in this forum I learned that IOThunderboltFamily.kext plays a big part in solving the issue. That kext did not exist in Library/Extensions/ after setup. I found a version of that kext somewhere and installed it using kextBeast after changing some numbers around in it (following a guide from somewhere around the forum). ....but no luck still. That kext is probably not compatible anyways..

I'm kind of stuck here and would really appreciate any help

Cheers

After browsing around in this forum I learned that IOThunderboltFamily.kext plays a big part in solving the issue. That kext did not exist in Library/Extensions/ after setup. I found a version of that kext somewhere and installed it using kextBeast after changing some numbers around in it (following a guide from somewhere around the forum). ....but no luck still. That kext is probably not compatible anyways..

Cheers

For me, IOThunderboltFamily.kext is in System/Library/Extensions, not Library/Extensions. I think the latter is for third-party extensions only.

What's your use case? Which Thunderbolt devices are you trying to use with the card? Just a heads up that as far as I know, the "System Information" Thunderbolt section will not show your card or TB ports. I haven't seen anyone who has this working.

As I type this, I'm using an Apple Thunderbolt Display on my Gigabyte motherboard's built-in Thunderbolt 3 port. Although the connection seems a bit flaky or unstable, it does work: FaceTime camera/USB ports/Ethernet, etc. all show up in System Information, even though the Thunderbolt section says "no drivers are loaded."

Thanks for the input auwri.

I'm setting up a new workhorse for my sound studio using a TB audio interface. I got everything running few days ago. :)
There were a couple of things wrong in the process ...wish I would have been aware of them sooner, bad Sierra installer, stupid mistakes in making the bootloader and this and that. Anyways, the TB interface got finally recognized by my DAW after I turned of power to USB in the BIOS. Still got "no drivers are loaded" in System Information though, but hey...this monster works like a charm now :)

btw, IOThunderboltFamily.kext is not in my lib folder, so my guess is that it has the least to do with other than maybe having the drivers show in the System info...

Thanks for the input auwri.

I'm setting up a new workhorse for my sound studio using a TB audio interface. I got everything running few days ago. :)
There were a couple of things wrong in the process ...wish I would have been aware of them sooner, bad Sierra installer, stupid mistakes in making the bootloader and this and that. Anyways, the TB interface got finally recognized by my DAW after I turned of power to USB in the BIOS. Still got "no drivers are loaded" in System Information though, but hey...this monster works like a charm now :)

btw, IOThunderboltFamily.kext is not in my lib folder, so my guess is that it has the least to do with other than maybe having the drivers show in the System info...

Great! Glad to hear it's working as desired.

Does it eventually shows up for you in the Sys report?

And could you please share whitch forum guides you followed regarding the IOThunderboltfamily.kext? I am trying to set up my card, thanks!

Hello,

I want to buy the same motherboard as you> GA-Z270MX-Gaming 5
I go back a hackintosh essentially for my work pro and especially to create my music on ableton.
Currently I have a macbookpro 15 "but I do not like to play a little game with my friends and have a more powerful workflow I work with the macpro 2013 and it's a treat but the graphics cards inside are not dedicated to the video game.

I have a zoom tac2 as an external sound card, and I wanted to know if with the external card > http://www.gigabyte.fr/Motherboard/GC-ALPINE-RIDGE-rev-10#ov you do not have no problem, everything works well ?

thank you in advance for your help

Hello, I've the same problem, I need Thunderbolt 3 for my Thunder 2 Quad by akitio.
I've got a GA-Z270x-K5 / i77700k / High SIerra 13.1.1
Could you help me and tell me if it's possible ? If i buy the GC-Alpine Ridge, it will work ?
My bios version is F7.
Thank's a lot, i'm newbie.

Hi everybody, just to tell you that my alpine ridge works fine with my K5 aorus and thank's a lot for your help.

Hello everyone,
managed to get RX Vega 64 to stream through Thunderbolt 3 ports, but my resolution is now 1920x1080. Anyway, do you know how to test TB3 ports for lets say attached usb C drive? Or I need TB3 ports on the device as well.

Thanks a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back