Contribute
Register

GA-z270MX Gaming 5 and GC-Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,
managed to get RX Vega 64 to stream through Thunderbolt 3 ports, but my resolution is now 1920x1080. Anyway, do you know how to test TB3 ports for lets say attached usb C drive? Or I need TB3 ports on the device as well.

What display do you have? What resolution do you expect? Is it 1920x1080 or 1920x1080 HiDPI (which is actually 3840x2160)?

The Thunderbolt 3 USB-C ports also support USB 1.0 (12 Mbps), USB 2.0 (480 Mbps), USB 3.0 or USB 3.1 gen 1 (5 Gbps), USB 3.1 gen 2 (10 Gbps), DisplayPort 1.2, and HDMI 1.4. They can also support VGA, DualLink DVI, and HDMI 2.0 with active adapters.

Use a program like Blackmagic Disk Speed Test.app or AJA System Test Lite.app to test the speed of the USB-C drive. See if you have any issues with unplugging USB devices (check Console.app).

Thank you for your quick reply! Yes it does work with my external HDD, but not hot swapping.Only if plugged before reboot. My monitor is 4K DELL P2415Q. Now interesting thing about bluetooth though. It was never working properly, but now I've plugged USB dongle to my TB3 and bluetooth usb to it and it is working flawlessly so far , will keep you posted on this. coz it was super annoying.

Pease

What display do you have? What resolution do you expect? Is it 1920x1080 or 1920x1080 HiDPI (which is actually 3840x2160)?

The Thunderbolt 3 USB-C ports also support USB 1.0 (12 Mbps), USB 2.0 (480 Mbps), USB 3.0 or USB 3.1 gen 1 (5 Gbps), USB 3.1 gen 2 (10 Gbps), DisplayPort 1.2, and HDMI 1.4. They can also support VGA, DualLink DVI, and HDMI 2.0 with active adapters.

Use a program like Blackmagic Disk Speed Test.app or AJA System Test Lite.app to test the speed of the USB-C drive. See if you have any issues with unplugging USB devices (check Console.app).

Hello everyone, After 1 year of hackintosh I can finally say that my Hack is OP (see next topic> http://forum.macbidouille.com/index.php?sh...;#entry4186249)

Since I make music under Ableton 10 I decided to connect my monitoring to my external sound card which I use since 1 year on my macbook pro: A zoomtac2 thunderbolt 2

So I plugged my internal Alpine Ridge card into my hack, I have it under W10 (I'm in dualboot with 2 separate DD on the hack) and my thunderbolt works. So I connected the TB3 adapter to TB2 to connect my external sound card, now when I start High Sierra, I have a a little crackle of my monitoring during startup, the software tells me that it is connected, but 1min after it warns me that it disconnects.

Yet she is well fed because I can adjust it physically. on the other hand I have nothing in info about this mac> report system> Thunderbolt: No manager loaded.

Can anyone help me for this ? Do I miss kext at startup (see PJ> https://dn-graphisme.com/hackintosh/kexts.png )? Or am I going to have to resell that sound card ^^ '

Thank you all in advance for your help

EDIT 1: I changed my card for a UAD arrow TB3. It works perfectly well under OSX and Windows. But before doing it, you have to activate it on Windows, reboot and come back to OSX. Has anyone ever had this problem ?

Last edited:
Thanks for the input auwri.

I'm setting up a new workhorse for my sound studio using a TB audio interface. I got everything running few days ago. :)
There were a couple of things wrong in the process ...wish I would have been aware of them sooner, bad Sierra installer, stupid mistakes in making the bootloader and this and that. Anyways, the TB interface got finally recognized by my DAW after I turned of power to USB in the BIOS. Still got "no drivers are loaded" in System Information though, but hey...this monster works like a charm now :)

btw, IOThunderboltFamily.kext is not in my lib folder, so my guess is that it has the least to do with other than maybe having the drivers show in the System info...

Hi Ariein,

If you're still running this machine with your UAD Apollo interface, are you able to pass on your bios settings? I have the same motherboard and thunderbolt card, but can't get my Apollo Twin Quad to show up in Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6. I've tried booting into Windows beforehand (and also not doing that), but it never seems to show up under the UAD control panel. I know the Alpine Ridge card is working as it my Apollo functions perfectly in Windows.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Also, I apologise if it's against the rules reviving this thread given that it's a year old. Please delete this post if it's against the forum rules.

Cheers :)

Hi Ariein,

If you're still running this machine with your UAD Apollo interface, are you able to pass on your bios settings? I have the same motherboard and thunderbolt card, but can't get my Apollo Twin Quad to show up in Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6. I've tried booting into Windows beforehand (and also not doing that), but it never seems to show up under the UAD control panel. I know the Alpine Ridge card is working as it my Apollo functions perfectly in Windows.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Also, I apologise if it's against the rules reviving this thread given that it's a year old. Please delete this post if it's against the forum rules.

Cheers :)

Hi dude,

You tried to launch under windows and then restart on macos ?

Hi dude,

You tried to launch under windows and then restart on macos ?

Yep, but I still wasn't able to get it to appear. To my knowledge there are no additional kexts that I need to install so I'm pretty stumped at the moment.

Yep, but I still wasn't able to get it to appear. To my knowledge there are no additional kexts that I need to install so I'm pretty stumped at the moment.

Humpf damnit. Here is what I did with my arrow UAD >

1. Install my alpine TB3
2. Install the sound card under windows with the drivers
3. I reboot my hack, I boot under macos, I installed there also what was needed from UAD and the card is recognized and works under Ableton and under macos.

Honestly, I could not help you any more. All I know is that it takes windows to wake the TB3 card for the arrow to work.

Good luck dude

Apologies for the slow response - I literally left to go on holiday the day you sent through your reply.

Do you mind passing on which version of macOS you're using? I'm planning on doing a fresh install of Mojave once I return as I recall also having issues with the UAD software freezing up and crashing under Sierra (could potentially be something stemming back to when I built my hack a year ago).

Thanks again for making the effort to get back to me

Apologies for the slow response - I literally left to go on holiday the day you sent through your reply.

Do you mind passing on which version of macOS you're using? I'm planning on doing a fresh install of Mojave once I return as I recall also having issues with the UAD software freezing up and crashing under Sierra (could potentially be something stemming back to when I built my hack a year ago).

Thanks again for making the effort to get back to me

Hello dude,

I am on the 10.13
I did not go under Mojave again because my hack is functional for my work (webdesigner, photoshop) and especially fully operational for the music too.

It's your turn to test, but I think you'll also have to have Windows to wake up your TB3 card.

See you soon

Ok, so I updated to 10.14.1 on a separate external drive and now everything is working! :) It seemed like it was a clunky Sierra install and/or compatibility issues with the older version of the UAD software I had installed.

For people with a similar motherboard and thunderbolt card, here's how I got my Apollo Twin Quad Mk2 working:

1) Booted into Windows 10 to install the Thunderbolt drivers from Gigabytes website (or in the disk provided with the Alpine Ridge card).
2) Plugged my Apollo interface into a Thunderbolt 2 Cable > then into an Apple official Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adapter > then into my Alpine Ridge card.
3) Downloaded the latest version of the UAD console to my Windows machine to test it all out (v9.7 at the time of this post). Please note that your Thunderbolt device won't appear under Intel's Thunderbolt application unless you've got a Thunderbolt device connected (this messed me around for a while as I thought my unit was DOA, when it actually need something plugged into it).
4) Left the interface on and rebooted into Mac OS.

I'm not sure if this is unique to my machine, but I'm able to get the Apollo working if I turn it on at the Clover boot screen (e.g. where you select your boot drive), which means I don't need to boot into windows every time I want to start making music :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back