Graphics
RX 6800XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
High Sierra wasn't easy mainly because of the graphics drivers. So to document what I did in hopes other will benefit, here is what worked for me.

Hardware:
Gigabyte GA-Z170MX Gaming 5 F4 UEFI BIOS
Intel 4.1 GHz Core i7 6700K
64 Gb DDR4 2400 RAM
512 Gb Samsung 850 Pro

BIOS Settings

- If your CPU supports VT-d, disable it
- If your system has CFG-Lock, disable it
- If your system has Secure Boot Mode, disable it
- Set OS Type to Other OS
- If your system has IO Serial Port, disable it
- Set XHCI Handoff to Enabled

High Sierra 10.13.1 Installation Procedure

1] Create New Unibeast Installer (10.13.1)
2] Boot into the installer - F12 on startup, select Unibeast Installer let it start up
3] Erase Disk for new install (will not format main partition yet!) using HFS Journaled file system
4] Start the installer, which will only install the installation files to the HighSierra drive
5] Computer will restart as part of the process

6] I DID NOT USE APFS - to force an HFS+J install I did this

- On reboot select the USB installer again! Boot up into the Installer Program by selecting External at the Clover Boot Screen
- Once in the Installer again, open the terminal and run:

/Volumes/Image\ Volume/No-Convert

- You should receive a confirmation message a file has been altered
- Reboot from there using the top level menu

7] On reboot press F12 - Select to boot from the Unibeast USB till you see the clover screen
8] Select High Sierra from Clover screen this time -- the installer will install for a minute or so then automatically reboot

9] Press F12 on reboot, select the Unibeast USB till you see the Clover screen then select High Sierra again
10] Installation will complete and reboot
11] Press F12 again, select Unibeast USB till Clover loads then select High Sierra and will you will boot into new system

12] Copy Multibeast to desktop and run it.

Options:
UEFI Boot
Drivers -
Audio - Realtek 1150 and 100/200 series audio fix
Network - AtherosE2200Ethernet v2.2.2
USB - Increase Max Port Limit

**VERY IMPORTANT FOR NVIDIA DRIVER TO WORK **
Bootloader - Clover UEFI Boot Mode + Emulated NVRAM
Customize
System Definition - iMac 17,1

Reboot in to system without Nvidia Drivers and the accompanying choppy video

Now comes the slightly tricky part - installing the Nvidia drivers. After much trial and error, this ended up being more straightforward than it seemed. IGNORE all the "how tos" except this thread posted by tonymac!

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...s-high-sierra-10-13-1-378-10-10-10-20.236101/

All other threads had you installing Lilu.kext and NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext, both of which prevented my system from working and confused the process terribly, costing me at least 10 hours of time and three installs. Vulgo's shell script worked really well for me, although I now realize I could have done this manually without it. BUT, it makes it easy. It's in the second post on that thread. But note, that I still ended up with a black screen at reboot after installing the drivers and had to employ the same "black screen fix" that Sierra required, which I shall outline below. So if this happens to you, don't panic. It was fairly simple to fix for me.

13] Use Vulgo's shell script to install the drivers, not the downloaded drivers unless you are doing this all manually.
- run the altnvweb-107.sh shell script from the terminal with this command:

sudo sh ./altnvweb-107.sh

- that will install the dirvers without the control panel
- DO NOT reboot yet!

2] Mount the EFI partition with EFI mounter v3 and using any plain text editor, edit /EFI/EFI/Clover/config.plist so that it contains this at the bottom of the file. I only had to actually change the last value as all these lines were already there. Just make sure the key NvidiaWeb is "true".

<key>SystemParameters</key>
<dict>
<key>InjectKexts</key>
<string>YES</string>
<key>InjectSystemID</key>
<true/>
<key>NvidiaWeb</key>
<true/>
</dict>

You may also want to use Clover Configurator to load up the config.plist and make sure that the nv_driver=1 is unchecked as per tonymac's instructions.

3] Fix the boot up to black screen problem. When I rebooted, I still got the black screen. I simply shut down the computer, rebooted to the clover screen, scrolled around to the Options button, hit enter, went down to the Graphics section, hit enter, and unchecked NvidiaWeb to disable the parameter you set in config.plist. When you boot back up, you'll be in the crappy graphics, no Nvidia drivers mode again.

Open Finder and navigate to this directory using the Go option from the top menu:

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext/Contents/

Edit the Info.plist file with a text editor. I use the last version of TextWragler because I like it. The free version of BBedit works probably better and is a true text editor. But even the terminal using nano will work.

My iMac model number from my SMBIOS (you can check this in your config.plist file using Clover Configurator) is Mac-65CE76090165799A. So when I edit the Info.plist file listed above, find the line with the model name of YOUR system and below it you'll see a parameter that will most likely say "Config2". Change that to "none" (obviously no quotes) and save the file.

Open the terminal and rebuild your caches using these commands:

sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
sudo kextcache -system-caches

Reboot and you should have a working Hackintosh using this system. I've reinstalled a boat load of programs and so far everything is super stable and zippy. So far I have had none of the shutdown problems I had with Sierra, which required the FixShutdown be checked in Clover Configurator.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I have the same motherboard and I can't get audio after wake from sleep to work. Do you have it working and if so what do you use? I tried CodecCommander 3 times but every time I go to install it I get a black screen then a FUBARed install immediately. Everything else is working great! Thanks in advance if you have any insight!

I have the same motherboard and I can't get audio after wake from sleep to work. Do you have it working and if so what do you use? I tried CodecCommander 3 times but every time I go to install it I get a black screen then a FUBARed install immediately. Everything else is working great! Thanks in advance if you have any insight!
I never use sleep, so honestly have not tried it at all.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!.... awesome tutorial is working amazing!

Hi,

Are you finding that sometimes in between programs you're getting stuttering or the Color Loading wheel is appearing more often than it should? I updated the Nvidia drivers to the best working version (106 in this case), but have found that certain programs, Like JetBrains IntelliJ is very laggy....Any thoughts on what might be the issue, or if you experience the same?

@domface, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard, CPU and iGPU or Graphics Card.
If you have a prebuilt computer enter make and model instead of motherboard (Mobo).
The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.

Thanks tofu confetti, Great help, up and running using your instructions.

This is not working for me. I am stuck at the Black Screen.

After editing the info.plist and rebuilding the cache I get the error:
Kext rejected due to improper filesystem permissions: <OSKext 0x7fe1901e67e0 [0x7fff8d734af0]> { URL = "AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/", ID = "com.apple.driver.AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy" }

The Black Screen problem persists. Any ideas?

For those who still roam around with High Sierra on a GA-Z170mx mobo in 2020: Do not use the USB 3.0 ports for the USB Installer. You will get stuck on the error symbol when booting into the High Sierra Installer from Clover.
Use the 2.0 ports, the yellow ones on the top op the mobo instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back