Contribute
Register

GA-Z170M-D3H Perfect Configuration for El Capitan (Success)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Summary:
This is a success report for correct configuration of the Gigabyte Z170M-D3H on with a i7 Skylake with working Network, Audio, Wifi. The main configuration is done with Multibeast, additional configuration is done manually to achieve working audio. Lastly I've achieved tipple monitor using an Asus Nvidia 780, If you lack a video card, this configuration adds the video card last, and is stable using the Intel's onboard HD 530 provided with the i7 Skylake.

Focused Attention

Follow creation of El Capitan USB
http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/u...pitan-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.172672/

Equipment:
  1. Processor: i7 6700K, Skylake 4GHz (BX80662I76700K)
  2. Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170M-D3H (GIGABYTE GA-Z170M-D3H (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDM)
  3. Motherboard Audio Chipset: Realtek 892
  4. Motherboard Ethernet Chipset:
  5. Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Intel Z170 Platform / Intel X99 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-2400C15D-16GVR. With 15-15-15-35 timing CAS timings.
  6. Wifi: TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Dual Band Wireless N900 PCI Express Adapter,
  7. Onboard Video: Intel 530
  8. PCI-E Video: Nvidia GTX 780
  9. PSU: CORSAIR CSM Series CS550M 550W ATX12V v2.4 and EPS 2.92 80 PLUS GOLD
  10. Case: x Thermaltake Core V21 Black Extreme Micro ATX Cube Chassis CA-1D5-00S1WN-00
  11. Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
  12. Hard drive: x SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-75E500B/AM
  13. 16GB USB Flash Drive
  14. Separate Macintosh to download El Capitan and make UniBeast Clover El Capitan Installer

Step 0)
  1. Flash my Bios to F7 (Z170MD3H.F7), upgraded from F3. Place file on Fat32 USB. Boot to BIOS, Save old. then Load New.
  2. BIOS Settings
    1. Press DEL during boot to access BIOS
    2. In BIOS Features:
    3. Fast Boot: Disabled
    4. VT-d: Disabled
    5. Windows 8/10 Features: Other OS
    6. LAN PXE Boot Option ROM: Disabled
    7. Storage Boot Option Contro: UEFI Only
    8. Network Stack: Disabled
    9. In Peripherals:
    10. Initial Display Output: PCIe 1 Slot (if graphics card installed) or IGFX (otherwise)
    11. XHCI Hand-off: Enabled
    12. In Chipset:
    13. VT-d: Disabled

Step 1)
  1. Make El Capitan Installer USB http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/u...pitan-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.172672/
  2. Make UEFI
  3. Select Intel 530
  4. Make sure install disk is empty. I used Gparted to make a new partition table. WARNING: This destroys all data. Also make sure only 1 HD is installed.

Step 2)
  1. Ensure no PCI-E video card is installed / Remove Nvidia Video Card.

Step 3)
  1. Use Boot Menu to boot from USB (Mash F12 at boot)
  2. Use Disk Utility from Menu to Erace Internal Hard Drive. Name El Capitan using Format: OS X Extended Journaled, using GUID Partition Map. Click Done. Close Disk Utility Window.

Step 4)
  1. At Install OS X screen, Click the Hard drive: El Capitan. Click Continue to begin install. Wait 10 minutes during install. On reboot. Boot from HFS Mac OS X from EL Capitan.

Step 5)
  1. Select Language.
  2. Enter Wifi Password. Success WIFI works!
  3. Proceed with OS installation

Step 6)
  1. From HFS Extended USB or HD run Multibeast 8.2.2 (1)
  2. Click Quick Start. Select UEFI Boot Mode.
  3. Click Drivers. Click Audio. Check Realtek ALC892. Check 100 Series Audio
  4. Click Network. Check AppleIntelE1000e 3.3.1
  5. Click USB. Check Increase Max Port Limit.
  6. Click Customize. Click Graphics. Check Intel HD 530
  7. Click System Definitions. Check Mac Pro 3,1
  8. Click Build.
  9. Review: UEFI Boot Made, Realtek ALC892, Realtek 100 Series, Fake SMC v6.10-313-g671f31c.1707. AppleIntelE1000e v3.3.1, Increase Max Port. Clover v.2.3k.r3423 UEFI. Mac Pro 3,1. Intel HD 530.
  10. Click Install.
  11. Restart
  12. Remove USB

Step 7)
  1. If screen is black. make sure only one monitor cable is plugged in. I was getting black screens when DVI and HDMI were plugged in at the same time
  2. Verify Working ethernet by going to Settings: Network. Observe Ethernet Device. (SUCCESS)
  3. Verify Working Memory speed: About this Mac: System Report: Memory: 2133 MHz (SUCCESS)
  4. Verify Working USB 3.0: About this Mac: System Report: USB. View USB 3.0 Bus (SUCCESS)

Step 8)
  1. Download https://sourceforge.net/projects/voodoohda/
  2. Install VOODOOHDA288 Package, Ctrl-Click the package, select open. Allow open.
  3. Set the input gain from the microphone to zero. Find the file in /System/Library/Extensoins/VoodooHDA.kext. Look for the value iGain and iMix. Seto them to zero. Personally. I just went to terminal and did: sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/VoodooHDA.kext/Contents/Info.plist
  4. then I pressed Control-W to search for iGain. I changed the xml to be the integer value to be 0 under the key of iGain and iMix.
  5. Also search for VoodooHDAEnableVolumeChangeFix and look at the line under, change the <false/> to <true/>
  6. Press Ctrol-X, y , enter. to save.
  7. Restart
  8. Verify Working sound by going to Settings: Sound. (SUCCESS)
  9. Verify Detected Sound. About this Mac: System Report: Audio. Observie Intel High Defination Audio Line Out.

Last edited:
without luck.

I randomly touched the start screen but crashed. qq

Last edited:
Wow. It seems a great walkthrough for similar settings. I'll refer this when I have to setup my machine again. Thanks!

without luck.

I randomly touched the start screen but crashed. qq
I have the same setup and had some pretty major issues could only boot in safe mode from the usb. Could install El Capitan but Could't install multibeast in safe mode, normal boot with -v gave a system uptime nanosecond error and restart . Will just keep looping.

Details here don't really matter it's a simple addition to Tripadors bios settings that I found solved the issues. I just copied the settings from this guys z170 bios settings http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/g...intel-hd-530-integrated-gfx-dual-boot.191292/

He has screenshots and the bios looks the same. Pretty sure disabling serial and parallel ports in super io configure under peripherals did the trick . With f7 optimised defaults these are enabled. After the bios changes its all good to go . I have El Capitan 10.11.5 running ,didn't even have to do a fresh install. Straight ssd transplant from my old machine just ran multibeast with the new settings.

I still crash no matter what. WTf is going on, i have the same MOBO that you ><

I would carbon copy your hdd and wipe the lot. Strip the machine down no graphics card, use the on board. Start with unibeast do a fresh usb installer with 10.11.5. F7 your bios and copy Tripadors bios settings page for page. If you can boot from the unibeast usb I think it's smooth sailing.

After install i didn't restore settings from the backup just ran it fresh after multibeast. Once that I worked I re- installed this time with re-store and it's good to go. Only issue with this board is getting the sound going and it's very sensitive with those bios settings.

I finally installed el capitan but is unestable, random freeze and reboots without warning and self close session, Do you have this problems?

I finally installed el capitan but is unestable, random freeze and reboots without warning and self close session, Do you have this problems?

Its stable. It wakes up from sleep. I loose ethernet sometimes when waking up from sleep. But I have not been crashing.

Two questions.

did you update your bios? That was my first step.
did you set your ethernet driver to 3.3.1 and your mac type to be 3,1? If I chose 3.3.3 it was not stable. If I chose 6,1 or 7,1 mac it wasn't stable. I just stuck with 3,1 cause it was stable.

Also, Its in the procedure, but if you are having trouble. Make sure the graphics card is added in the last step. Else it won't boot. This procedure is only for this motherboard. As stated in procedure, I set it to use optimized defaults. I also set my ram to XMP profile 1, but that is specific to my ram (Gskill) suggestions, perhaps you need to do that too.

With f7 optimised defaults these are enabled. After the bios changes its all good to go . I have El Capitan 10.11.5 running ,didn't even have to do a fresh install. Straight ssd transplant from my old machine just ran multibeast with the new settings.

Its nice that I helped someone. Makes me feel good. Its all about those bios settings. Crazy that a serial/parallel port will prevent it from booting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back