Classic Mac
  1. 20th Anniv. Mac
  2. iMac
  3. Plus
  4. Power Mac
  5. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've got my Hackintosh running just fine now, but it's not got the latest Gigabyte BIOS update. The docs on the update don't mention anything super important or compelling.

Has anyone done this update? Necessary? Worth it?

Thanks

I've got my Hackintosh running just fine now, but it's not got the latest Gigabyte BIOS update. The docs on the update don't mention anything super important or compelling.

Has anyone done this update? Necessary? Worth it?

Thanks

I've never had any problems with updating a system BIOS, especially for a Gigabyte motherboard. Then again, if it ain't broke....

I've never had any problems with updating a system BIOS, especially for a Gigabyte motherboard. Then again, if it ain't broke....
F20 BIOS are to be avoided unless you need kerby lake support in my opinion- I found gigabyte had locked the MSRS on my board meaning you had to boot with kernelPM enabled and nvram was also no longer function. Downgrading BIOS is also tricky and results in you needing to hex patch you MAC address for you intel Ethernet chip.

F20 pros:
- Solve the problem of increasing UEFI boot entries
- Kaby lake CPU support
cons
- Cannot Write to nvram. Have to install EmuVariableUefi, which invalidates 'LastBootVolume' clover feature.

Last edited:
@DifferentComputers @nagha I see you guys have gotten High Sierra on your hacks to work, but I am having a tough time getting mine to upgrade from Sierra. Would you be able to share a thread or resource you used to make the upgrade? I have tried using a recommended base for my config.plist from a different thread that nagha used, and I've removed a bunch of kexts/patches, but I seem to have the same trouble each time... After the install is complete and I do my boot using the unibeast USB into the upgraded hard drive the -v flag basically shows me a quick flow of text (less than a quarter second for sure) and then a reboot. I wish I had more to go off of, but I'm not seeing any guides in the forum and I can't see anything glaringly obvious of what I cold be missing.

@DifferentComputers @nagha I see you guys have gotten High Sierra on your hacks to work, but I am having a tough time getting mine to upgrade from Sierra. Would you be able to share a thread or resource you used to make the upgrade? I have tried using a recommended base for my config.plist from a different thread that nagha used, and I've removed a bunch of kexts/patches, but I seem to have the same trouble each time... After the install is complete and I do my boot using the unibeast USB into the upgraded hard drive the -v flag basically shows me a quick flow of text (less than a quarter second for sure) and then a reboot. I wish I had more to go off of, but I'm not seeing any guides in the forum and I can't see anything glaringly obvious of what I cold be missing.
i think u r facing problem like me : https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/can-only-boot-using-cpus-1.272408/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back