GeForce
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Is Gigabytes GA-X99-UD5 WIFI motherboard compatible with hackintosh?

Don't all gigabyte boards work? heard they were getting Hackintosh friendly by the minute.

Don't all gigabyte boards work? heard they were getting Hackintosh friendly by the minute.

I remember reading an article on the internet saying hackintosh is compatible with X79 boards and not X99 boards I might be remembering that backwards so I want to be safe than sorry.

I remember reading an article on the internet saying hackintosh is compatible with X79 boards and not X99 boards I might be remembering that backwards so I want to be safe than sorry.
You can, with some extra work, get an X99 board to work with 10.10.x.
There is no native support in the Yosemite kernel for the X99 PCH, so speed step, sleep and any power management functions are not going to work at all.

I am typing this on a 10.10.3 install on an Asrock Fatal1ty X99M Killer with i7 5930K + 16GB G.Skill DDR4 RAM + GTX980. It can be done.

You can, with some extra work, get an X99 board to work with 10.10.x.
There is no native support in the Yosemite kernel for the X99 PCH, so speed step, sleep and any power management functions are not going to work at all.

I am typing this on a 10.10.3 install on an Asrock Fatal1ty X99M Killer with i7 5930K + 16GB G.Skill DDR4 RAM + GTX980. It can be done.

Normally I manually put the computer to sleep with the help off hot corner. Are you Saying that I wont be able to do that anymore or that the computer is going to be pulling the max amount of power that it can 24/7?

Normally I manually put the computer to sleep with the help off hot corner. Are you Saying that I wont be able to do that anymore or that the computer is going to be pulling the max amount of power that it can 24/7?
Sleep/wake will not work at all. Testing manually putting the system to sleep gives me OS X goes to sleep but the fans continue to run and from all indications nothing shuts down like it is supposed to for sleep. It also will not wake up no matter what I do - have to power off and boot from scratch.

Also can't tell what power level it is pulling as the FakeSMC plugins and Hardware Monitor cause KP's and system hangs - try to open the app and all you see is the disk drive temp and a spinning beachball of death. System is totally locked as evidenced by the seconds on the clock not changing.
Only way out was to boot the original drive and clone it again - I always experiment with a clone, never the original successful install.
Trying to find out now if HM is going to support X99 any time soon.

I plan to use a silent case and I plan to only use Noctua fans in my case for super quiet performance. I plan to leave the computer on 24/7 so fans the running nonstop is fine with me. I don't think Gigabyte is going to be releasing any new software any time soon. Is using a Hackintosh on an X99 motherboard still worth it even if you can't put it to sleep or should I change my ways of life and become a Windows guy?

I plan to use a silent case and I plan to only use Noctua fans in my case for super quiet performance. I plan to leave the computer on 24/7 so fans the running nonstop is fine with me. I don't think Gigabyte is going to be releasing any new software any time soon. Is using a Hackintosh on an X99 motherboard still worth it even if you can't put it to sleep or should I change my ways of life and become a Windows guy?

Whether it is worth it or not is something only the user can determine. It really depends on whether or not it decreases time for your processing/rendering in your apps. I did my build because it is the first big upgrade from my aging X58A-UD7 build from late 2009/early 2010 - I felt I needed new hardware before what I had broke down.

Also depends on your use of the build. Do you use it for personal mail/browsing/iTunes/photos, etc. or do you use it to make $$$ to pay your bills?

If for personal use a Z97 build would probably suit your needs better.

Also depends on your use of the build. Do you use it for personal mail/browsing/iTunes/photos, etc. or do you use it to make $$$ to pay your bills?

If for personal use a Z97 build would probably suit your needs better.

Have to agree with Going Bald here. Make it simple. Build a Z97 ~ I7-4790K system, max out
the ram with 32 GB and add a good graphics card and you can do anything with it you'll need for
at least the next 5+ years. You can even dual boot with Windows if needed. What's not to like ?

I just recently tested an older I7-3770 system with Yosemite. It's installed on a Gigabyte mini-itx
motherboard. With over 40 programs open at the same time, It was using only a little over 4Gb
of ram and CPU usage was at about 46 %. So if an older Ivy Bridge system with a 3 year old CPU
can do that what wouldn't an I7-4790K system be able to do ? Make sure to view fullscreen at a
1080p res.
to be able to see the numbers in activity monitor.

[video=youtube_share;CYOJ2RJGag0]http://youtu.be/CYOJ2RJGag0[/video]

Any of the lagginess in the above video is due to Quick Time app not being able to keep up. Better
more expensive screen capture apps wouldn't show that at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back