Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
GA-X79-UP4 weird USB3 problems

Hello.

I've successfully built a hackpro using GA-X79-UP4 and i7-4930 and 2x GTX770 4gb running Mac OS X 10.9.4.

Everything is working really well except for a very weird USB3 issues.

I've been using tons and tons of external HDDs (the machine is used in film production) but some types of drives have this very weird issue were file transfers will hang at an arbitrary point with activity monitor showing no data being read or written and the Console isn't showing any errors. The transfer just hangs and the estimated time left just climbs and climbs.

At this point I cannot stop the transfer, eject the drive or interact with it in any way and this can even cause other programs to become unresponsive such as Avid Media Composer 8 and Davinci Resolve 11 as well as Finder itself. Until I manually power off the drive. Then the system kicks back into gear and errors are reported due to the drive being missing.

I've only experienced this with 3 different, out of 3 tested, LaCie Porche design 4TB drives(LaCie P9230) and a Mercury Elite Pro Mini 1TB drive. Other LaCie drives and all Seagate drives I've tested work just fine.

I've also tested the problem drives with a legit MacBook Pro and they work just fine there so this issue is specific to my hackintosh and not the drives.

I've tried messing with the USB kexts but that really only accomplished me screwing it all up and having to setup using multibeast again to get back to square one.

Anyone have any ideas as to what is causing this?

Regards,
heidare

Bump.

This is still not working for me...reads seem to be unaffected only writes and the amount of data transferred before the problems crops up seems to be completely random.
I've tried different USB KEXTs but that hasn't solved anything. System still stable but with this weird USB3 problem.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Don't know if this will help but I just saw a new version of the generic USB3 driver.

[h=1]GenericUSBXHCI 1.2.8d7[/h]
A Google search should find it.

Good luck!

I also have USB 3 problems, same motherboard. Did you manage to solve it?

I am experiencing an issue with this as well. Whenever trying to copy large amounts of data via the USB 3.0 ports to an external HD, the drive will intermittently eject itself at some point during the data transfer. It's making it very time consuming to try and backup my data. :crazy:

This version so far has worked for me

Attachments

• GenericUSBXHCI_1.2.7_for_Yosemite_14A329r.zip
    62.3 KB · Views: 129
I'm assuming the link above won't work on Mavericks? Anyone figure out a fix for Mavericks? I've installed a usb3 card which works great but really would like to free up that slot for other things, so I'm trying to get the boards USB3 to work consistently... Seems to be the same problem you all are having. Copying stops and drive becomes unresponsive on the GA-X79-UP4.

Thanks,

jb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back