Contribute
Register

GA-X79-UD5 w/GeForce GT620 only boots in safe mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD5 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard
CPU
i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
Graphics
EVGA GeForce GT 620 1024MB DDR3 Dual DVI, mHDMI Graphics Card 01G-P3-2621-KR
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm at my wits end here. I've been working on this issue off and on since November!!!

I'm no noob. Been doing the Hackintosh thing since the very beginning. My rig has been running Mavericks just fine but for the life of me I can't get Yosemite to boot without the safe mode flag "-x", which of course renders the system useless.

I'm convinced it's a graphics issue but from what I can gather the GT 620 card should work right out of the box.

I've tried both Clover and Chimera. I could never get Clover to work with the EFI partition (yes it is formatted FAT32).

I'm using these flags on boot:

-v kext-dev-mode=1 PCIRootUID=0 npci=0x2000

I've tried with GraphicsEnabler=Yes and No.... neither work.

Either it just hangs while the verbose text is still visible or gets to a solid gray screen and then hangs.

I've never had so much trouble with a Hackintosh build before. I'm ready to throw in the towel.

Anyone have any suggestions? You're help is greatly appreciated. I just spend $200 on a new 512GB SSD drive. Would love to be able to use it.

Have you installed the Nvidia Web drivers ?

If not, try that, they will install from safe mode - I had to do it that way, then i had to reboot, then tell Nvidia Web Drivers to be primary - then had to restart again.

If you already have them installed try adding nvda_driver=1 to the Kernel Flags

Martin

I'm at my wits end here. I've been working on this issue off and on since November!!!

I'm no noob. Been doing the Hackintosh thing since the very beginning. My rig has been running Mavericks just fine but for the life of me I can't get Yosemite to boot without the safe mode flag "-x", which of course renders the system useless.

I'm convinced it's a graphics issue but from what I can gather the GT 620 card should work right out of the box.

I've tried both Clover and Chimera. I could never get Clover to work with the EFI partition (yes it is formatted FAT32).

I'm using these flags on boot:

-v kext-dev-mode=1 PCIRootUID=0 npci=0x2000

I've tried with GraphicsEnabler=Yes and No.... neither work.

Either it just hangs while the verbose text is still visible or gets to a solid gray screen and then hangs.

I've never had so much trouble with a Hackintosh build before. I'm ready to throw in the towel.

Anyone have any suggestions? You're help is greatly appreciated. I just spend $200 on a new 512GB SSD drive. Would love to be able to use it.

Now which boot loader you have installed? CLOVER or Chimera??

Now which boot loader you have installed? CLOVER or Chimera??

Right now I'm using Chimera to boot but I'd prefer to use Clover since it handles the iMessage/FaceTime issue.

Right now I'm using Chimera to boot but I'd prefer to use Clover since it handles the iMessage/FaceTime issue.

Have you installed NVIDIA Web Driver?

If Yes, then try booting with flags "GraphicsEnabler=No nvda_drv=1 -f"

If not, then try booting with flags "GraphicsEnabler=No nv_disable=1"

Post result.

Good Luck...!

As the system have GeForce GT620,
Flags required for boot "PCIRootUID=1 GraphicsEnabler=Yes"

Have you installed NVIDIA Web Driver?

If Yes, then try booting with flags "GraphicsEnabler=No nvda_drv=1 -f"

If not, then try booting with flags "GraphicsEnabler=No nv_disable=1"

Post result.

Good Luck...!

I didn't install the web driver because the web site says the driver is for the GTX series of cards. Not the GT620. Everything I've ever read about the GT620 is that there is no NVIDIA driver on OS X and that it works out of the box (which has been my experience with Mountain Lion and Mavericks). Also, every indication is that this card requires the GraphicsEnabler=Yes flag.

Booting with GraphicsEnabler=No nv_disable=1 gives me a black screen with a mouse pointer.

I didn't install the web driver because the web site says the driver is for the GTX series of cards. Not the GT620. Everything I've ever read about the GT620 is that there is no NVIDIA driver on OS X and that it works out of the box (which has been my experience with Mountain Lion and Mavericks). Also, every indication is that this card requires the GraphicsEnabler=Yes flag.

Booting with GraphicsEnabler=No nv_disable=1 gives me a black screen with a mouse pointer.

As you have GT620, try booting with "PCIRootUID=1 GraphicsEnabler=Yes"

As you mentioned on post#4 if you would like to use Clover, then why you are now trying with Chimera? Have you faced any issues with Clover?

As you have GT620, try booting with "PCIRootUID=1 GraphicsEnabler=Yes"

-v -f PCIRootUID=1 npci=0x2000 GraphicsEnabler=Yes kext-dev-mode=1 ---> Boots to a black screen

-v -f PCIRootUID=1 npci=0x3000 GraphicsEnabler=Yes kext-dev-mode=1 ---> Boots to a black screen

-v -f PCIRootUID=0 npci=0x2000 GraphicsEnabler=Yes kext-dev-mode=1 ---> Boots to a gray screen with working mouse

-v -f PCIRootUID=0 npci=0x3000 GraphicsEnabler=Yes kext-dev-mode=1 ---> Boots to a gray screen with working mouse

This is all with the Chimera bootloader.

I tried again installing the Clover bootloader with no success. The EFI partition is formatted to FAT32 and the clover install finishes successfully. I can mount the EFI partition and I see all of the files that should be there. When I boot the machine off the drive, I get the boot0 error which as far as I know means that it's not seeing the bootloader on the drive.

-v -f PCIRootUID=1 npci=0x2000 GraphicsEnabler=Yes kext-dev-mode=1 ---> Boots to a black screen

-v -f PCIRootUID=1 npci=0x3000 GraphicsEnabler=Yes kext-dev-mode=1 ---> Boots to a black screen

-v -f PCIRootUID=0 npci=0x2000 GraphicsEnabler=Yes kext-dev-mode=1 ---> Boots to a gray screen with working mouse

-v -f PCIRootUID=0 npci=0x3000 GraphicsEnabler=Yes kext-dev-mode=1 ---> Boots to a gray screen with working mouse

This is all with the Chimera bootloader.

I tried again installing the Clover bootloader with no success. The EFI partition is formatted to FAT32 and the clover install finishes successfully. I can mount the EFI partition and I see all of the files that should be there. When I boot the machine off the drive, I get the boot0 error which as far as I know means that it's not seeing the bootloader on the drive.

As per my understanding boot0 error will not arrive while using CLOVER. It will come while using Chimera in 4K drives and there is guide available for resolving this http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/65706-boot0-error-official-guide.html

No need to re-format EFI partition as it is already formatted as FAT32.

Okay.. I'm an idiot!

Turns out I had VT-d virtualization enabled in the BIOS. I disabled it and I'm good to go. For some reason, Mavericks works okay with it enabled but Yosemite doesn't.

So here's what I'm booting with now: -f PCIRootUID=0 npci=0x2000 GraphicsEnabler=Yes kext-dev-mode=1

Now I've just got to figure out why Clover doesn't want to install right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back