Contribute
Register

Ga-x58a-ud3r

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a great answer - Thanks very much.

As the going rate for my old chip is around £40 on eBay, a £25 upgrade for 50%ish CPU power is a no brainer so I've ordered.

Thanks again.

Oh one last thing, the CPU swap isn't going to mess round with any of the system ID's is it? I've only just got iMessage working again on clover and don't fancy going through it all again!

Oh one last thing, the CPU swap isn't going to mess round with any of the system ID's is it? I've only just got iMessage working again on clover and don't fancy going through it all again!

Nope.

Just take out old CPU, put in new, add thermal paste, re-seat cooler, boot to bios, load optimized defaults (do this!), set hackintosh-necessary bios things... boot!

Make sure it's all good at stock, then OC to your heart's content.

Oh, and please stop back and let us know how it goes! Particularly if you can compare identical handbrake encodes before/after!

Damn you justr! Convinced me to get a x5650 off of ebay :)

Another one who buy the X5650 cpu .. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna feel the difference between this and my i7 950. Btw my Noctua NH-D14 will be enough to keep low temperature?.

Hi all, not wanting to drag this conversation back to the beginning, but my Hack has been rock solid since I bought this board, and I'm now getting random freezes that I've never had before. It normally happens when I'm not doing anything on it - watching a video or something like that. Before I pull it to pieces and check each component in another system, is this something that othes have been experiencing since 10.10?

Not overclocked
Corsair RAM
i9750
X58 - UD3R Version FF
Zotac Fanless 640

Oh, and please stop back and let us know how it goes! Particularly if you can compare identical handbrake encodes before/after!

Well I've got it installed but had a nightmare and managed to bend a couple of pins on the socket! I noticed when it was not recognising the correct amount of RAM and/or hanging in BIOS!

Anyway, after an hour with a USB microscope and fine pitch tweezers it's up and running.

I'm ripping some handbrake files that I benchmarked on my old CPU but it is indeed looking like a 50% increase when clocked to the same 3.8ghz I was on with the 920. I think there is more potential to clock higher as all I've done is bumped the VCore a little and whack the FSB up to 200. It's also running about 15C cooler so looking very promising. It's recognised in About My Mac as a 6 core Xeon as expected and with the CPU maxed, activity monitor shows the process as 1200% so it's obviously picking up the hyper threading as well.

Hey Chris7418 - what does your logs say before the freezes? Also I think the most up to date bios version for my GA-X58A-UD3R ver. 2 is FH. I have had no freezes in 10.10, seems a little faster than 10.9.

i7 920 @ 3.8 ghz

23.49GB 1080p = 97 minutes, 23.9fps average
4.15GB 720p = 36 minutes, 57.7fps average
Temperate topped out at 95C

Xeon x5650 @ 3.8ghz

23.49GB 1080p = 63 minutes, 38.9fps average
4.15GB 720p = 24 minutes, 89.3fps average
Temperature topped out at 83C

i7 920 @ 3.8 ghz

23.49GB 1080p = 97 minutes, 23.9fps average
4.15GB 720p = 36 minutes, 57.7fps average
Temperate topped out at 95C

Xeon x5650 @ 3.8ghz

23.49GB 1080p = 63 minutes, 38.9fps average
4.15GB 720p = 24 minutes, 89.3fps average
Temperature topped out at 83C

Just ordered one this week too, thanks for the awesome tips on this thread!

Question for you - when you applied the thermal paste, what pattern did you find works best for this CPU (i.e. center dot, vertical line, cross pattern, etc.) to maximize coverage & minimize air bubbles?

Thanks again all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back