Contribute
Register

Ga-x58a-ud3r

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got Yosemite working with Clover. No issues with sleep or sound or iMessage. All working perfectly!
I have a question. Is anyone using more than the max Ram of 16GB on this board? That seems to be the max (and is identified as such on Gigabyte.com). However, I know sometimes the specs don't tell the whole story and since I'm maxed out at 16GB I ask the question...

I'm using 12gb (6 x 2), with a hefty CPU overclock on this Xeon. Just bought 2x8gb that I'm thinking about adding in either 282822 (12 GB triple channel, 12GB single-channel in Flex Mode; 24GB total) or 2828-- (20GB total in dual channel mode) configuration.... until/unless I buy either 1x, 2x, or 4x 8GB sticks so I can run everything in triple channel mode with 8GB DIMMS.

The board itself is rated for 24GB, but almost everyone who has tried has gotten 8GB sticks, and up to 48GB if maxed, to be recognized and run-- although the more memory the harder getting high clocks/overclocks will be. But your OC and DIMM clocks largely relies on the CPU you have (silicon lottery and model) because LGA 1366 moved the memory controller to the CPU... and the weak spot on i7-9xx chips seems to be the IMC!

The reason for the 24GB/48GB thing is that when the board was released there were no 8GB DDR3 non-ECC DIMMs on the market. Gigabyte can't certify their boards for products that don't exist. Even 4GB DDR3 non-ECC DIMMs weren't super, super common on release. By the time 8GB DIMMS became common, new platforms were already being released; why waste time and resources certifying the old mobos with the new DIMMs when you can put that effort into your latest products to make more sales?

TL;DR: 4GB DIMMs should work no problem whatsoever, since they are officially supported. And 8GB DIMMS should also work. You might be able to get 48GB recognized, but it might take some experimentation with manual frequency, timing, and voltage settings in order to get your CPU's IMC running in a way that it can recognize that memory.

I'm using 12gb (6 x 2), with a hefty CPU overclock on this Xeon. Just bought 2x8gb that I'm thinking about adding in either 282822 (12 GB triple channel, 12GB single-channel in Flex Mode; 24GB total) or 2828-- (20GB total in dual channel mode) configuration.... until/unless I buy either 1x, 2x, or 4x 8GB sticks so I can run everything in triple channel mode with 8GB DIMMS.

The board itself is rated for 24GB, but almost everyone who has tried has gotten 8GB sticks, and up to 48GB if maxed, to be recognized and run-- although the more memory the harder getting high clocks/overclocks will be. But your OC and DIMM clocks largely relies on the CPU you have (silicon lottery and model) because LGA 1366 moved the memory controller to the CPU... and the weak spot on i7-9xx chips seems to be the IMC!

The reason for the 24GB/48GB thing is that when the board was released there were no 8GB DDR3 non-ECC DIMMs on the market. Gigabyte can't certify their boards for products that don't exist. Even 4GB DDR3 non-ECC DIMMs weren't super, super common on release. By the time 8GB DIMMS became common, new platforms were already being released; why waste time and resources certifying the old mobos with the new DIMMs when you can put that effort into your latest products to make more sales?

TL;DR: 4GB DIMMs should work no problem whatsoever, since they are officially supported. And 8GB DIMMS should also work. You might be able to get 48GB recognized, but it might take some experimentation with manual frequency, timing, and voltage settings in order to get your CPU's IMC running in a way that it can recognize that memory.

@justr
As I mentioned to a previous respondent, I should have clarified the slight MB difference. I have a EX58 UD3R rev 1.6 board. 16GB is listed as Max in specs (http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3103#sp). From your post I think it is entirely possible that my MB could also accept 4 8 GB sticks for a Max of 32GB. Does that seem likely to you as well?

My EX58 UD3R has been almost in lock step with the X58 UD3R in all other areas I have come across, including the addition of the Xeon 5650 CPU. I think the 6 Ram slots versus 4 on mine is one of the main differences.

Last edited:
Finally after a 8 hour upgrade session i have everything working as before here a couple of things i struggled with.
1. I had to deal with the Mach_Kernel error. I upgraded from one brand of videocard to an other nearly 2 years ago, and i had to follow this guide http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/115818-install-bootloader-extra-efi-partition.html. When upgrading Chimera i had to rerun this installation.
2. I had to System > Downgrade AppleACPIPlatformRollback this caused a [PCI Configuation Begin] Error to show. But everything is booting just fine now.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-08-29 at 21.34.06.png
    Screen Shot 2015-08-29 at 21.34.06.png
    78 KB · Views: 231
New Geekbench 3 numbers for myself and its very stable.

I cannot get my USB 3 ports to work with a Seagate USB 3 drive, any ideas? Also I'm still on 10.10.2 how is the upgrade to 10.10.5 working and how did you upgrade?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-09-04 at 2.35.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-04 at 2.35.20 PM.png
    80.1 KB · Views: 160
Allright boys, is that time of the year!

Anyone tried to install El Captain using the new Unibeast?

I can boot my current install using the Unibeast Clover thingy but when I try to run the installer the systems just reboots :/

Also, my system freezes when I try to update Yosemite (Im Stuck on 10.10.2...) Any hints on that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back