Contribute
Register

GA-X58A-UD3R Catalina Install Mini Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK. Looks like you are almost there but the EFI on the USB is not working for the HD. That's fine. So since you have a working EFI on the USB, let's start from scratch on the HD.

Step#1: boot from the USB Mojave Flash drive into your Mojave setup like the picture above.
Step#2: erase the EFI contents of the HD that has Mojave installed on it.
Step#3: copy the EFI folder I gave you into the EFI Partition by dragging it from the archive to the EFI Partition.
Step#4: try to reboot without the USB drive. If it reboots with the HD, you're good. If it still sticks here, go to next step
Step#5: unhook the SATA cable from where you have it in the motherboard to the next SATA slot. I assume you were in SATA slot 0, so move to #1. I actually encountered this issue before too. For some reason, the motherboard wouldn't post from a clover boot loader drive connected to the internal connectors. My final solution was to insert a PCIe SATA card in one of the available PCIe slots and attach the cable for the HD to the SATA card like this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009LIPHNC/?tag=tonymacx86com-20.

A few tips:

Put two more RAM chips in the machine (total 6MB). It shouldn't adversely affect the machine and it will give it more room to run in.

Make sure that Turbo is NOT enabled in the BIOS. That was the source of many problems with this board. Any overclocking should be done manually but will require a good cooler.

As long as you don't need to go past Mojave, you should be able to update the BIOS to FG now. That may solve the non posting issue, or it may not, you'll have to try it if you can. You may get a message that the file is too big though, in which case you'll have to update the BIOS in Windows.
The actual hardware configuration with Mojave installed in the HD :

GA-X58A-UD3R (v 2.0) with FG1 bios
Core i7-920 2.66GHz CPU
His Radeon HD 5870
OCZ DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz Platinum Series (7-7-7) 2GB x 3 = 6GB
Seagate 3.5 Sata III HD 1TB
Noctua NH-D14 cooler
XPG core reactor 750w

Step#1, #2, #3, #4, #5 : done !!!

I noticed :

Point 1 - hitting F12 after the mobo logo, selecting hard disk on boot menu, always it shows
Verifying DMI Pool Data .............
Detecting DRAM size ...

after 2 seconds it reboots ( repeating this Point 1 for 3 times it shows the same on the screen )

Point 2 - hitting F12 after the mobo logo on the 4th time selecting hard disk on boot menu, it boots from hd but doesn't show the Mojave hd at Clover screen

The Point 1 and 2 above happens as using the EFI of the flash drive copied into the internal HD as the EFI you gave me.
If it boots with the flash drive inserted, it shows the Mojave HD at Clover screen and it loads the OS.

Attachments

• 2C284D91-6A19-4A31-8CAC-BE6D160F6EC6.jpeg
    2C284D91-6A19-4A31-8CAC-BE6D160F6EC6.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 94
  • 2C6CE701-2107-4D89-95EB-C4C3D692D345.jpeg
    2C6CE701-2107-4D89-95EB-C4C3D692D345.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 105
  • 6A554F63-BA13-4FA1-A672-F4939C7E0C11.jpeg
    6A554F63-BA13-4FA1-A672-F4939C7E0C11.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 112
  • 7B2FEB0B-68F7-46FD-9F27-E75CD2686E3F.jpeg
    7B2FEB0B-68F7-46FD-9F27-E75CD2686E3F.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 101
Last edited:
The actual hardware configuration with Moyave installed in the HD :

GA-X58A-UD3R (v 2.0) with FG1 bios
Core i7-920 2.66GHz CPU
His Radeon HD 5870
OCZ DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz Platinum Series (7-7-7) 2GB x 3 = 6GB
Seagate 3.5 Sata III HD 1TB
Noctua NH-D14 cooler
XPG core reactor 750w

Step#1, #2, #3, #4 : done !!!

I noticed :
Point 1 - hitting F12 after the mobo logo always it shows
Verifying DMI Pool Data .............
Detecting DRAM size ...

after 2 seconds it reboot ( repeating this Point 1 for 3 times it shows the same on the screen )

Point 2 - hitting F12 after the mobo logo on the 4th time it boots from hd but doesn't show the Mojave hd at Clover screen
As I said, my Hard drive wouldn't show up either until I separated it from the internal SATA bus. After the separation onto a PCIe card, it worked fine.

I strongly suggest you get a SATA card. I think its only about $20.

Also, take your battery out of the computer for 5 minutes, then reinsert it. Boot the system into the BIOS and reset all BIOS parameters from scratch and see if it posts and boots correctly.

As I said, my Hard drive wouldn't show up either until I separated it from the internal SATA bus. After the separation onto a PCIe card, it worked fine.

Also, take your battery out of the computer for 5 minutes, then reinsert it. Boot the system into the BIOS and reset all BIOS parameters from scratch and see if it posts and boots correctly.
Thanks a lot for your help and patience.
  1. I would like to know if I buy this PCIe card and an ssd, this PCIe card will be able to read any type of ssd?
  2. Only Marvell 88SE9230 based chipset PCIe card works with this mobo?

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for your help and patience.
  1. I would like to know if I buy this PCIe card and an ssd, this PCIe card will be able to read any type of ssd?
  2. Only Marvell 88SE9230 based chipset PCIe card works with this mobo?
It should run any 2.5" SSD. I just got an off brand one and it worked fine. Marvell is just the one I used, but I'm sure pretty much any 2x or 4x PCIe SATA card should work.

It should run any 2.5" SSD. I just got an off brand one and it worked fine. Marvell is just the one I used, but I'm sure pretty much any 2x or 4x PCIe SATA card should work.
I'm thinking that I could buy a 4x PCI-e 3.0 card, in this way when I will upgrade the system with another mobo, etc... in the future I can use the same PCI-e card. What do you think ?

1. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Desktop-PC...656658?hash=item2d18444912:g:7mAAAOSwmfFfbEPv PCIe 3.0 ASM1166
  2. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009LIPHNC/?tag=tonymacx86com-20 PCIe 2.0 Marvell 88SE9230
  3. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DFK4LZ7/?tag=tonymacx86com-20 PCIe 3.0 ASM1166
Can you tell me if the choice 1. with ASMEDIA/ASM1166 chipset is correct ? If yes, I proceed to buy it

Last edited:
I'm thinking that I could buy a 4x PCI-e 3.0 card, in this way when I will upgrade the system with another mobo, etc... in the future I can use the same PCI-e card. What do you think ?

1. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Desktop-PC...656658?hash=item2d18444912:g:7mAAAOSwmfFfbEPv PCIe 3.0 ASM1166
  2. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009LIPHNC/?tag=tonymacx86com-20 PCIe 2.0 Marvell 88SE9230
  3. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DFK4LZ7/?tag=tonymacx86com-20 PCIe 3.0 ASM1166
Can you tell me if the choice 1. with ASMEDIA/ASM1166 chipset is correct ? If yes, I proceed to buy it
Any card that is bootable on Mac should work. make sure you get a card that is Mac bootable like the one I suggested.

Hi , may I have the efi.... I just install a mew pcie m2... Specialize for hackintosh use... Please guide me how to clean install on the m2 SSD please. Many thanks.

Also, take your battery out of the computer for 5 minutes, then reinsert it. Boot the system into the BIOS and reset all BIOS parameters from scratch and see if it posts and boots correctl

Hi , may I have the efi.... I just install a mew pcie m2... Specialize for hackintosh use... Please guide me how to clean install on the m2 SSD please. Many thanks.
EFI is in post #22.

Thanks for all the work you have put into this @Hackintoshron ,

I'm trying to breath some new life into my old EX58a-UD3r but getting stuck just after "Verifying DMI Pool Data......" whenever I try to boot from the USB thumb drive!? (The cursor moves down a line but doesn't display 'Detecting DRAM size', just sits there)*

My hardware is 12Gb ram, i7-950 and an nvidia NVS510 GPU.

(I finally managed to downgrade to bios FF after finding an older copy of gigabyte @boot as the new version only works on UEFI bios! that consumed a good couple of hours!!)

If I allow boot to proceed normally (not choosing USB) everything is fine and I can get to the already installed Clover(Chameleon?) screen and choose to boot my (ancient) Snow Leopard install or Windows, but whenever I initially choose to boot from USB it gets stuck!!

One thing I must say is that I haven't actually created the installer using Unibeast - Unibeast won't complete on a machine this old running SL, and I don't have access to a modern machine currently.

I have created the installer using 'GibmacOS installer' from windows so this may be the issue, although it feels like the board is getting stuck at a hardware issue (just a feeling?).

(I also created an installer using 'macOS Catalina Patcher' running on SL but this is for a real Mac, the more I think about it this method isn't specifically for a PC install...???? This USB installer did show up in the already installed Clover(Chameleon) boot loader)

Any thoughts...??

thanks

neil

*(I did try removing some of my 12Gb Ram as I vaguely remember when installing Snow Leopard a looong time ago that it was recommended to only have 2 sticks of Ram installed(??))

Last edited:
Thanks for all the work you have put into this @Hackintoshron ,

I'm trying to breath some new life into my old EX58a-UD3r but getting stuck just after "Verifying DMI Pool Data......" whenever I try to boot from the USB thumb drive!? (The cursor moves down a line but doesn't display 'Detecting DRAM size', just sits there)*

My hardware is 12Gb ram, i7-950 and an nvidia NVS510 GPU.

(I finally managed to downgrade to bios FF after finding an older copy of gigabyte @boot as the new version only works on UEFI bios! that consumed a good couple of hours!!)

If I allow boot to proceed normally (not choosing USB) everything is fine and I can get to the already installed Clover(Chameleon?) screen and choose to boot my (ancient) Snow Leopard install or Windows, but whenever I initially choose to boot from USB it gets stuck!!

One thing I must say is that I haven't actually created the installer using Unibeast - Unibeast won't complete on a machine this old running SL, and I don't have access to a modern machine currently.

I have created the installer using 'GibmacOS installer' from windows so this may be the issue, although it feels like the board is getting stuck at a hardware issue (just a feeling?).

(I also created an installer using 'macOS Catalina Patcher' running on SL but this is for a real Mac, the more I think about it this method isn't specifically for a PC install...???? This USB installer did show up in the already installed Clover(Chameleon) boot loader)

Any thoughts...??

thanks

neil

*(I did try removing some of my 12Gb Ram as I vaguely remember when installing Snow Leopard a looong time ago that it was recommended to only have 2 sticks of Ram installed(??))
Sounds like you may have either a firmware issue where you may need to reset everything back to optimized defaults and then reconfigure according to the guide.

If that doesn't help, then it may be the actual formatting of your USB drive holding things up since that's where it seems to get stuck. If your Mac OS is too old to run the Unibeast for Catalina you may be able to get over that by running a virtual machine on your Windows installation. Install Mac OS X Catalina in it and then make the USB disk from there, though I have heard that GibmacOS installer works. I just have never tried it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back