Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Some of us in another thread thought it might be useful for some to see my experience on my GA-X58A-UD3R (v 2.0) motherboard with Catalina. Once it is up and running, it works pretty well, but it is not without some hurdles to getting there, probably because the hardware is just so old at this point.

As I said, I have the GA-X58A-UD3R (v 2.0) with 12GB of RAM and an SSD hooked up to a PCIe SATA 3 card that I just revived since I got my new rig last year. I have been able to install and run Catalina on it. This is what I did to get it to clean install and run and some of the issues I faced. I did manage to get my old board running with Catalina before I gave the machine away.

There are 4 issues I faced in getting the board to run Catalina:

#1 Issue – The first issue I faced right off the bat is a bios issue with booting Catalina and my SATA 3 interfaces.

This board goes up to FH version bios and that was the source of my problem. On this bios version, Catalina disk created with latest UniBeast (legacy mode) will simply not boot into clover boot menu. Instead, it dies before the clover boot menu appears with random pink numbers and letters all over the screen.

One thing I noticed that may have been part of the problem is that I have Marvell 9230 chipset on both my internal SATA 3 ports and my PCIE SATA 3 card. Tried another card with Marvell 9230 chipset and even tried flashing the Marvell chips to later firmware versions. Didn't have another card with a different chipset to test with so I don't know if this problem is with just Marvell 9230 or with any SATA 3. I even tried removing everything else connected to the motherboard but the drive inside of the machine and it fails to get to the boot loader screen every time. In any case, there seems to be some kind of a compatibility problem with the FH bios and the Marvell SATA 3 chipset when trying to install Catalina.

#1Solved only by reverting the bios back to FF. Even tried FG1 (beta) and it does the exact same thing as FH bios. With FF the machine acts (relatively) normal. Same SATA3 interfaces boot fine! Only problem with the FF bios is that it seems to be a bit unstable for overclocking, but if I don't overclock the machine, it runs fine. FH bios is more stable for overclocking, but FF is more stable for installation and running the machine in Catalina. It is possible that a better cooler might help in this regard to keep temperatures down when overclocking. My i7 930 cpu was generally stable at 3.2–3.4 Ghz but any spike past that causes a crash because of temperatures and resets the bios to its factory settings! Mojave on FH didn't exhibit this behavior and was very stable on the FH bios.

#2 Issue– I have an AMD PowerColor Radeon RX 560 4GB in this machine. After the default UniBeast installer boots past clover, the installer goes to a black screen although it is running because I can hear sounds when I press certain keys.

#2Solved by adding Lilu and Whatevergreen (latest versions from Github) to the UniBeast Catalina install flash drive. Once I add that, I could see the screen over my HDMI and DP connections on that GPU driving my 55" LG TV (that's my default display).

#3 Issue – After installation is complete, no acceleration on the RX 560 even though the system says it is installed and supported.

#3Solved by removing "Inject ATI" flag from config.plist and by switching SMBIOS to MacPro 7,1 from the installer's iMac 14,2. Machine runs faster and acceleration works. Checked in video proc as well as playing several large movies, 1080p and 2160p. Using this SMBIOS causes a message to display that your memory is misconfigured on booting, but seems to be only cosmetic and the machine works just fine.

#4 IssueDSDT from the tonymacx86 database here seemed to cause some instability with the machine, especially with restarts and shutdowns, and especially when overclocking.

#4Solved by removing DSDT. It's amazing how well the latest clover produces a picture of your hardware now! No DSDT needed in my case. Machine is booting with Clover_v2.5k_r5104. Beware of r5105 as it seems to stop clover from booting after it's menu is displayed. Probably fixed in later versions of clover, but I don't have the machine anymore to test that.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 12.19.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 12.19.20 AM.png
    13.1 MB · Views: 314
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 12.21.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 12.21.29 AM.png
    303.3 KB · Views: 284
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 12.20.11 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 12.20.11 AM.png
    371.9 KB · Views: 265
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 12.20.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 12.20.29 AM.png
    740.7 KB · Views: 237
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 12.20.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 12.20.39 AM.png
    179.5 KB · Views: 232
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 12.20.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 12.20.57 AM.png
    380.2 KB · Views: 224
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 12.21.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 12.21.15 AM.png
    654.2 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
Nice I have ga-X58-USB3
were is a bot flag from install catalina
i have try to installa but i have only white screen
dont go to desktop !!!!!!
Ati HD4870

Last edited:
Nice I have ga-X58-USB3
were is a bot flag from install catalina
i have try to installa but i have only white screen
dont go to desktop !!!!!!
Ati HD4870
I don't remember using any special boot arguments. The latest unibeast installer makes the usb flash disk and then it boots fine as long as you use the latest Lilu and whatevergreen kexts in the Kexts/other folder. If you are using a particular boot flag for your ATI 4870, you should probably still use it. If not, try with the inject ATI box checked in clover configurator in the Graphics section though you may not need to as I believe the 4870 is a supported card. I will try to locate the EFI folder, but like I said, I gave the machine away so I don't have direct access to it anymore.

I LOVE YOU !!!!
I add in USB bot clover Lilu and Whatevergreen
NICE NOW I can chose a lenguag for install
now I can't continue but I will keep you updated
have a nice day

I would like to install macOS Catalina on a pc with x58 (with legacy bios), with xeon 5675 and a rx 570.
I downloaded catalina from the AppStore, I did all the steps to make the stick bootable, then I set the bios, the stick worked and the clover screen came out, I selected the installation of catalina, but it is prohibitory symbol.

I LOVE YOU !!!!
I add in USB bot clover Lilu and Whatevergreen
NICE NOW I can chose a lenguag for install
now I can't continue but I will keep you updated
have a nice day
Glad you're making progress. Now what is keeping you from installing? What is it saying?

I would like to install macOS Catalina on a pc with x58 (with legacy bios), with xeon 5675 and a rx 570.
I downloaded catalina from the AppStore, I did all the steps to make the stick bootable, then I set the bios, the stick worked and the clover screen came out, I selected the installation of catalina, but it is prohibitory symbol.
Sounds like the issue I was having. What BIOS version is your motherboard on? Take the UD3R back to firmware FF and try the installer again (I'm assuming you have windows installed already or another machine to download the firmware onto a flash disk formatted for FAT16/32 to do this).

Sounds like the issue I was having. What BIOS version is your motherboard on? Take the UD3R back to firmware FF and try the installer again (I'm assuming you have windows installed already or another machine to download the firmware onto a flash disk formatted for FAT16/32 to do this).
I have ff version

I have ff version
OK. you did put the latest versions of Lilu and Whatever Green in the kext/other folder right? Also, add -v to your boot args and post a screen shot of the crash/message you see when it stops.

OK. you did put the latest versions of Lilu and Whatever Green in the kext/other folder right? Also, add -v to your boot args and post a screen shot of the crash/message you see when it stops.
Yeah right,the installation got stuck on this code

Attachments

• 3F7C5370-2EE5-4000-9936-35ED9051A15D.jpeg
    3F7C5370-2EE5-4000-9936-35ED9051A15D.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 151
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back