Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
So I've built almost two dozen hackintosh computers since 2005, and I've never had this much trouble before.

I cannot get this machine to run on the vanilla kernel.

Specs:

Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4-B3 flashed to bios F2
Intel i5 2300
Gskill Ripjaw PC38500 (2 x 4GB)
Gigabyte ATI 5770 1GB GDDR5

My normal install method that I have been using for the last year or so is pretty straight forward.

*Pop the new HDD into a USB caddy, hook up to Macbook, install OSX from macbook to USB HDD
*Run latest Apple Combo Update (10.6.7) from macbook, installed to USB HDD
*From macbook run Multibeast install to USB HDD
*UserDSDT (obtained by running lavalys everast in windows, then running through autopatcher)
*Any other fixes that might be needed
*Put HDD back into tower
*Boot
*Be happy.

In this case, while the HDD was still in the USB Caddy I installed bridge helper before running Multibeast (3.4) and chose the Sandy Bridge variant of Chameleon.

Unfortunately that stuck me in a reboot loop.

Everyone on the forum talked about making sure the CPU Ratio was less than 32 or you will get the reboot loop. However the i5 2300 only has a CPU ratio of 28, so that should not be the problem.

I am able to boot the computer by dropping in the the legacy kernel extracted from legacy iboot (1/22/2011) and installing Chameleon RC5 r699.

However, if I try running bridge helper and Installing Chamelon - Sandy Bridge again, I get back to the reboot loop. (even if I set my CPU ratio to 32)

Right now I am running the system with the legacy kernel. Since I installed the 10.6.7 update (or maybe something else I tried in all my reloading) I have the ATI working with GraphicsEnabler=No.

I have even been able to install ALC8xxxHDA and ALC892 non-DST enabler. However if I do not specify a busratio, the sound pops and crackles. Specifying busratio=28 allows the sound to work, but then my windows animates are laughably slow.

Solving my suttering audio/laggy video are not my concern, I merely mentioned it for information that might be helpful.

I know several people in this forum have this motherboard working, but no one seems to be using the i5 2300 (which should be easier no?)

Does anyone have any ideas about why I cannot boot with bridge helper 2.0 and Chameleon Sandy Bridge? It is an instant reboot, not a kernel panic, so I can't even see the error. My gut tells me it must be a bios setting, but I've been through the first ten pages of the sandy bridge forum and all my BIOS settings seem to be right.

Dumb question - when running MultiBeast, did you also check System Utilities after running SandyBridge? I don't have the exact same system, but have had success when doing this.

may not help much, but your audio codec for your board isn't alc892 but acl889 right?

Yes, I am sure that I checked system utilities when running multibeast (at least one of the 20 or so times i've run it)

While Newegg reports that the Audio chipset is a 889, the chip actually has 892 printed on it, and 892 is working. I might try the 889 later tonight, but that is definitely now causing my reboot loop.

Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree, but everyone who has the reboot loop talks about the CPU multiplier, so I really think it may have something to do with that. THis is the first gigabyte board I have used in about 3 years, so the M.I.T interface is new to me. I plan on messing around with all of the O.C. setting to see if I can get this thing booting.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Could the problem possibly be related to my RAM? I am using PC1333 Ram, while everyone else seems to be using PC1600. What this cause the kernel to reboot?

Gordo

Thanks for the advice. I tried turning it up to 32, but I didn't think about turning it down. I'll try 26, 24, and 22 on Monday when I get home an report back.

Yeah I have an i3-2310m, with a ratio of 21, and I get the reboot loop too. I'd be interested to hear if you're able to solve it by lowering the multiplier. Unfortunately for me that's not an option, since I have a crappy laptop bios.

You can also try messing with the busratio boot argument. If nothing works use a legacy kernel. Nawcom has just released one based on 10.7.0.

Gordo your a friggin genius. Lowering the CPU Ratio to 26 allowed to load the kernel and boot (of course I got a KP, but that was a big first step). I just wish I had a good explanation for why I didn't think of that first.

Okay guys, I am almost there... so close.......

I have run through Gordo's tutorial 3 times now (making sure to keep CPU Ratio < 27 to prevent reboot loop) and every time I get the exact same problem.

After the system boots up, instead of loading straight into apple, I get the light blue screen. However, if I let it sit for 7 - 9 minutes, it will finally take me to the login prompt. Everything works perfectly after that, It just takes 10 minutes to boot up (which is unacceptable)

Any ideas guys?

Edit: Console Messages from startup, Google is not being very helpful.

4/4/11 8:06:12 PM com.apple.WindowServer[75] Mon Apr 4 20:06:12 Mac-Pro.local WindowServer[75] <Error>: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.

4/4/11 8:14:38 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.502[114] (com.apple.ReportCrash) Falling back to default Mach exception handler. Could not find: com.apple.ReportCrash.Self

4/4/11 8:14:45 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.502[114] (com.apple.Kerberos.renew.plist[140]) Exited with exit code: 1

4/4/11 8:14:49 PM com.apple.fontd[124] FODBCheck: foRec->annexNumber != kInvalidAnnexNumber (0)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back