Contribute
Register

GA-P67A-UD3-B3 kernal panic with Maxwell card (GTX960)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-P67A-UD3-B3 + F9 Bios + Rev 1.0
CPU
Intel i5-2500K
Graphics
ASUS GTX 960 Stratix
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey all,
This is my first post (read the rules - but let me know if I missed something). I'm upgrading my old Hackintosh from Snow Leopard to El Capitan and ran into a few issues.

I recently upgraded my build (specs in my signature are up to date) from a GTX470 to a GTX960. I used the current build of Unibeast (6.0.1) and built the install using Leacy EFI (as the F9 BIOS does not support UEFI - though Gigabyte seems to have a Beta UEFI build) and incorrectly used Inject NVIDIA (which does not natively work for maxwell builds).

I used clover to boot into the El Capitan installer (using boot flags -x GraphicsEnabler=Yes) and was able to install a clean copy of El Captian to a HDD. Funny enough, while I know Maxwell isn't natively supported - the installer booted in 1080 resolution though the GTX 960 - though you can tell hardware acceleration is off.

So after reboot, boot into clover from the install/flashdrive - when I go to boot into the newly installed partition using the same boot flags (-x GraphicsEnabler=Yes) the system autoresets after successfully loading some BlueToothFamily driver. My research leads me to think that the system is autorebooting due to a kernal panic caused by my graphics card.

More research suggest (http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...l-capitan-install-problems.html#CategoryPanic) that I try some additional bootflags nv_disable=1 as well as IGPEnabler = Yes but the system dies at the same point every time.

Addtionally, it is suggested that "If you have a reboot loop and an Nvidia card and you can't progress any other way, try removing the card, installing on integrated graphics, installing Web drivers, and then putting the Nvidia card back in.". The problem with the P67A boards is that it doesn;t support integrated graphics directly from the board, so removing my GTX960 leaves me without a UI. I still have my old GTX470 that I might be able to use to install the system and patch with the new webdrivers - but I wanted to get some opinions on this.

- Is there any reason I can boot into the installer with the GTX960 but not into a clean install using the same clover bootlaoder on the USB stick and the same boot flags?
- Should I replace the GTX470 for installation and install the GTX960 after the drivers are installed?
- As I incorrectly used NVIDIA injection in Unibeast, should I rebuild the installation USB with the correct options and try again? Research shows that this can be corrected using boot flags GraphicsEnabler= No IGPEnabler = Yes
- Does anything suggest this issue might be outside of some graphics card related issue?
- Is the proposed build even able to run El Capitan? The specs are old, and I haven't found anyone posted a similar set up (Sandy Bridge+P67+Maxwell)

Thanks in advance for the help. Any advice or clarification would be greatly appreciated! If I am successful, I will compile the completed process here to benefit other users.

GraphicsEnabler=Yes / No are nor valid boot arguments in Clover.

Boot with nv_disable=1 until you have installed the web drivers then use nvda_drv=1 instead of nv_disable=1

P1LGRIM,
Thanks for the reply! You are correct, those appear to be old commands for Chimera.

I tried booting with "-x nv_disable=1" several times but still autorebooting after successfully initializing bluetooth. As I cannot get into the system, I can't load the webdrivers :\

Is it likely that my old Kepler (GTX470) would require the same boot flags? I believe nv_disable=1 only applies to Maxwell cards. Any ideas on support for the GTX 470?

I'd stick with the 960 for now. It seems unlikely that it would cause a panic -- there's probably something else going on.

No need to boot with -x either.

Just boot with dart=0 nv_disable=1 and see how that goes.

If it still auto-reboots, then boot in verbose mode (space bar from the Clover menu) and post a photo of the screen just before it reboots.

Ammulder,
I was able to boot in using my GTX470 and installed the webdrivers. After switching out the cards again and using nvda_drv=1, I was able to get both monitors (DVI and HDMI) working flawlessly.

I believe this was an issue with the Driver Injection from the Unibeast install. I mistakenly used Inject nVidia - despite this not being applicable to the GTX9XX series. I created a new Unibeast Installer and decided NOT to inject any graphics drivers and I'm able to boot directly with the GTX960 using nv_disable=1 and installing the web drivers.

I have a few follow up issues now:
- After installing Clover to my boot drive, I am unable to boot into my El Capitan installation. The Unibeast USB still boots successfully- though not through the post-install bootloader. It seems to reboot after the apple logo, though you can see the cursor for a fraction of a second - and turns on both displays. I believe this is a Clover configuration issue - I figure any post-install scripts/kext injection (FakeSMC ,etc) would affect the USB bootlaoding as well
- Sound is not functional. Haven't put a lot of work into this, I ran the CloverALC110 script and still no sound device recognized.

Working further on this.
I was able to get the GTX960 working. I opted to create a new install on my SSD drive and write over my current Snow Leopard install (no turning back now).

1. Installed El Capitan from the Unibeast install
2. Booted in using nv_disable=1 and installed nVidia Web Drivers + Post-Install Tools
3. Booted to Clover from Disk - Resolution is lowered to 1024x738 and takes ~30 seconds to hit the boot menu
4. Booted to El Capitan using nvda_drv=1
5. Used Multibeast 7.5 VoodooHDA ALC892 (right click Multibeast > Show Package Contents)
NOTE: The GA P67A-UD3-B3-F9 Rev 1.0 uses ALC892 despite Gigabayte saying ALC889 on their site

I now have (what is claimed to be) full nVidia Graphics support and workable audio. Even after all of this work, I still have some major issues:

1. VooDoo Audio is kind of "hacked" - you have to add configurations to turn the input gain to 0. At Startup, you get the most annoying static/hissing sound. Hopefully I can get workable Audio with Multibeast 8?
2. Unable to boot with second monitor attached via HDMI. Can get through the entire boot sequence, both screen turns black and I see the mouse/cursor and then a second later KP. Removing HDMI at boot and plugging back in once fully booted works with no issues.
3. General Instability - 4/10 times run into a KP at boot. Without changing any boot flags, etc - next boot will succeed.
4. Cinebench Scores - After my first attempt/install I was receiving scores close to the nVidia Quaddro. Now, I'm receiving benchmarks below the GT640. Frame rates in HD video ~20-30 FPS.
4. Booting Clover from Disk takes ~30 to hit the menu and is in reduced resolution. On the other hand, Clover on my Unibeast USB drive takes 3 seconds and full 1080 resolution.

I'm going to wait for Multibeast 8 and likely create an install guide if successful. Any insight on the existing issues would be appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back