Contribute
Register

GA-P55M-UD4 BIOS F11 released... Aug 2010 Gigabyte BIOSes !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD4
CPU
i7-860
Graphics
9800 GT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Let the DSDT hunt begin :lol:

BTW, at least on the P55M-UD4, the clean DSDT is identical to the F10 one...
So you can safely use the F10 DSDT from the database !

Post your Vanilla DSDTs in viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4463

Good Luck,
Lnx2Mac

Is there any advantage to updating the BIOS from F9 on this board? I avoided F10 as you suggested earlier. My system is running 100% on F9 (as far as I can tell).

I usually like running on the latest BIOS...
But F10 has been an immediate disappointment, and with F11 I'm still seeing some issues...

So, If it ain't broke don't fix it... ;)

Unless you want to experiment... It's not hard going back to F9...

Good Luck !
Lnx2Mac

I had to return the P55M-UD4 from my current rig because it was having issues correctly detecting the memory. (Memory would only be detected on the second memory channel but not the first one, resulting in halved memory bandwidth.)
The vendor upgraded the BIOS to the newest version (I guess, haven't got the return shipment in my hands yet), i.e. F11.

I'll try setting up my Hackintosh with the F10 DSDT from the forum and let you know how it went.

Shuzz said:
I had to return the P55M-UD4 from my current rig because it was having issues correctly detecting the memory. (Memory would only be detected on the second memory channel but not the first one, resulting in halved memory bandwidth.)
The vendor upgraded the BIOS to the newest version (I guess, haven't got the return shipment in my hands yet), i.e. F11.

I'll try setting up my Hackintosh with the F10 DSDT from the forum and let you know how it went.
Shuzz,

No problem downgrading your BIOS, if you want to...
You can download older ones (as of today, back to F5), from http://www.gigabyte.com/products/produc ... &dl=1#bios

Good Luck !
Lnx2Mac

This mobo has serious issues with RAM....I was getting occasional lockups with Mushkin RAM, even when set to xmp in the bios (although that's when things improved...). When I installed G.Skill, lockups were a thing of the past. And both kits were identical as far as frequency, just the timings and default voltage are slightly different. The G.Skill is also set to the 'xmp' profile.

For a while there I thought I had damaged the board or simply had a lemon...AFAIK, this is a very fussy mobo, I'm not so sure Tony should be recommending it.

Just my 2 cents....

aikiman said:
This mobo has serious issues with RAM....I was getting occasional lockups with Mushkin RAM, even when set to xmp in the bios (although that's when things improved...). When I installed G.Skill, lockups were a thing of the past. And both kits were identical as far as frequency, just the timings and default voltage are slightly different. The G.Skill is also set to the 'xmp' profile.

For a while there I thought I had damaged the board or simply had a lemon...AFAIK, this is a very fussy mobo, I'm not so sure Tony should be recommending it.

Just my 2 cents....
That doesn't sound like a bad motherboard and more like bad memory.

Did you run memtest+ and prime95 when you first built the system? Did you do this with the new memory?

I ran memtest86 v3.5 on each individual stick, although for only one hour apiece (both showed no errors...). Is memtest+ better? I ran Prime95 for about a half hour....no problem. Mushkin is hand tested at the factory before shipping as well.

The lockups began to subside when I started running the memory on the 'XMP' profile....I still got an occasional freeze with the Mushkin, but with the G.Skill it's never happened (even while encoding video...).

Again, my 2 cents....Gigabyte recently (with F10) fixed a bug with TurboBoost, so if someone (like myself) was using RAM that had voltage and timings that were slightly different than their recommendations, the memory fix in bios F7 wasn't going to do you much good.... :? Also, I noticed that Newegg no longer sells this mobo.

BTW, the F10 bios works fine for me, although I could never get audio to work well (lot's of stuttering and plops). One person on this forum did a complete restore to 10.6.2 to get his audio back....I caved and bought a usb adapter for $25 bux. Very pleased with my hackintosh now....

aikiman said:
I ran memtest86 v3.5 on each individual stick, although for only one hour apiece (both showed no errors...). Is memtest+ better? I ran Prime95 for about a half hour....no problem. Mushkin is hand tested at the factory before shipping as well.

The lockups began to subside when I started running the memory on the 'XMP' profile....I still got an occasional freeze with the Mushkin, but with the G.Skill it's never happened (even while encoding video...).
When you suspect RAM issues, one hour is a bit too short for that...
Also, have you tested with the RAM paired and using XMP ?

Anyway, I still prefer the G.Skills ;)

[quote:3nghoegk]Again, my 2 cents....Gigabyte recently (with F10) fixed a bug with TurboBoost, so if someone (like myself) was using RAM that had voltage and timings that were slightly different than their recommendations, the memory fix in bios F7 wasn't going to do you much good.... :? Also, I noticed that Newegg no longer sells this mobo.
Indeed, it seems to have been discontinued by Gigabyte...
That's a pity ! It's a wonderful little board for hackintoshing...

BTW, the F10 bios works fine for me, although I could never get audio to work well (lot's of stuttering and plops). One person on this forum did a complete restore to 10.6.2 to get his audio back....I caved and bought a usb adapter for $25 bux. Very pleased with my hackintosh now....
[/quote:3nghoegk]
:eek:
This board uses the ALC889a and should be the easiest to get working, even on 10.6.3...
Check out my blog ( http://lnx2mac.blogspot.com/ ) for optimal BIOS settings and MultiBeast choices...

Good Luck !
Lnx2Mac

Hi guys!

Got my stuff back yesterday, tried it out aaaannd: Same error as before -.-

So I ripped the whole system apart (again) and put the naked mobo on my bench, plugged memory and CPU back in, put the VGA in its slot and - 4GB RAM are being recognized oO

OK, I'll have to watch that closely ^^

Funny thing is: The BIOS was upgraded to F11 (like I mentioned above), but I was still able to boot into MacOS just fine. Everything seemed to be running fine, too.
Sound worked, Graphics worked, LAN worked.

My question came up when I ran Geekbench (32Bit), it only showed me a memory bandwidth of a little bit over 3GB/sec. This is quite low for a supposed dual-channel setup, correct?

Can anyone of you guys tell me what kind of bandwidth reading I should expect in 32-Bit Geekbench when running dual-channel DDR3-1600 (7-8-7-24) on an i5-750?!?
Does anyone know of a better tool to test memory bandwidth with? (OK, memtest would be an alternative, but I'd like somethin free which runs in the OS itself AND does 64 Bit, too ^^)

Cheers,

Shuzz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back