Contribute
Register

GA-P55M-UD2 + i5 + 4870

Status
Not open for further replies.
thelostswede said:
As far as I know, they should all be the same.
Some of us here have Gigabyte cards, but I don't really see why other GTS 250's should be any different.

And trust me on the Gigabyte motherboard thing, I can't tell you the details, but let's just say that I have some inside information as to why Gigabyte boards are the better option for a Hackingtosh. ;)

Hmm.. UD2 is not enough for OC I think... but UD4 looks nice.
What is different between UD4 and UD4P? Becouse I can't find any UD4P in Polish shops - price of UD4 is like MSI.

thelostswede said:
Different audio codecs (ALC 888 vs 889A), dual ethernet ports and a TPM chip on the UD4P. That's it.

MSI have 889 Realtec audio + dual ethernet and it's cheaper than UD4P. OS X works flawless... So - why definitely Gigabyte?

I've made 3 systems and have been using hackintosh computers for almost 3 years now, and the easiest system to set up was my current setup using the GA-P55m-UD2 (beating the Bad Axe 2 that I used for my previous configuration). My experiences over at the insanelymac boards have also led me to the same conclusion that Gigabyte boards are, for reasons I'm not quite sure of, the most compatible and simplest to use with OS X.

Look, it's your money, you're free to spend it on whatever hardware you prefer, all I'm saying is that there's a reason why Gigabyte boards are in general better, but I'm sorry, I can't explain why it is as I'm not at privy to reveal that information.

I imagine you can get a nice install with that MSI board, so if you want to go that route - go for it. My personal opinion is that I would go Gigabyte (and if that wasn't an option, I'd probably go intel next). If I was to speculate why Gigabyte boards work well, my guess would be they are paying attention to the hackintosh community and have seized upon an emerging market. ;) That's just my opinion, though.

Not to discount Gigabyte boards by any means.... but ;)

I've definitely heard people have great luck with MSI boards- in fact, the GD65 is pretty popular, and I've received a few 100% working solutions here. I don't have any experience first hand with these boards, but it seems like they're probably 2nd most popular among Hackintosh users I've heard from followed closely by ASUS. Someone should start a poll :)

100% Working MSI GD65 files
Public/DSDT-MSI-GD65%20%2B%20Extra.zip

pm_mickey's MSI GD65 EFI
(lots of variation in the DSDT- much code removed & optimized)
Public/DSDT-MSI%20GD65%20%2B%20Extras%20PMM.zip

I've seen a lot of ASUS boards being used over at InsanelyMac. We're in a transitional period with Mac hardware as far as what they're planning on using in future iterations. Will they only use i7 and i5, or will they also use i3? I'm thinking the Core 2 duos and Quad cores will be phased out in favor of the various iX models.

I'm wandering here... haha. Anyway, what I mean is that I think we'll probably see over the next 6 months or year certain boards emerge as the most compatible (depending on what hardware apple uses).

Wow... remind me to not let comments sit half finished for an hour before completing them. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back