Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2-F11
CPU
i5-760
Graphics
9800 GT
My old GA-P55M-UD2 build has been happily chugging along since early 2011 despite being in a flood and moving multiple times. It has been stuck at El Capitan for the past few years, but as it is no longer my main computer that hasn't caused any issues... until recently. One of the apps I use in my workflow on this computer no longer works thanks to changes in the API of an online service. There is a fix available but it requires that I upgrade to Mojave or Catalina.

I can't afford to build a new rig from scratch right now, but I can afford a few upgrades for this one. I plan to replace the nVidia 9800 GT with a newer AMD card. While I am at it I think I will also upgrade the SSD and add in an Inateck USB 3 card.

Before going this route I am just wondering will the old Lynnfield i5-760 and this motherboard work with Catalina?

Hi,
did you do anything about this?
I installed a new graphic card (Gigabyte Radeon RX 560 Gaming 4GB) and Mojave afterwards. It seems to work fine. I had to do it a second time, because the following update to Catalina went wrong - at the moment I don´t know why. The only trouble I have, is about the recognition of my (old) monitors. I choose "18.3" in the SMBIOS.

No I had no luck with it and have gotten tired of messing with it. I solved a few different issues and was finally able to get to the installer. But it was crashing while the installer was running with no useful output as to why, even when running verbose mode.

Ok, if you wanna go on, let me know. As far as I know, the graphic card should support "Metal". In the meanwhile, I will try to install Catalina, hopefully next weekend…

Last edited:
Hi,
Two weekends later, I didn't get it done. While booting, the Hackintosh crashes after a few seconds because of CPU/chipset error (don't remember the exact text). I did the installation using SMBIOS 18,3 - may be 14,2 would have been better, but at least it must be feared, that it's not possible, to use Catalina on this old GA-P55M-UD2. If there's anybody out there, who did it - pls. let me know.

EDIT: Error = unsupported CPU, unsupported PCH

Last edited:
Moved to Catalina Desktop Support.

@twist408
Hi,
two weekends later, I didn't get it done. While booting, the Hackintosh crashes after a few seconds because of cpu/ chipset error (don't remember the exact text). I did the installation using SMBIOS 18,3 - may be 14,2 would have been better, but at least it must be feared, that it's not possible, to use Catalina on this old GA-P55M-UD2. If there's anybody out there, who did it - pls. let me know.

EDIT: Error = unsupported CPU, unsupported PCH

Use UniBeast 10 + MultiBeast 12- I tested on a P55M-UD2 system using default Legacy options and it works fine. After you get installed make sure your graphics card is supported- mine wasn't (NVIDIA 9400 GT) so I had to use the Legacy graphics patch as described here.

Good luck!

@tonymacx (and Jamesbond007, too!):
1. Thanks a lot for your attention!
2. It's the first time I checked NEW/ FRESH installations - before that I tried only UPDATEs/
UPGRADEs (I got two hackintosh´s with the same boards but different CPU´s - the intention
is, two have 2 identical machines as Audio-workstations.).
3. I tried a fresh install on both systems with Unibeast 10.1.0/( SMBIOS 14.2 and 13,1) - all
failed. It didn't even come to Multibeast - The USB-stick doesn't start/ load complete - I had
to reset the systems every time.
4. Both installations-trials stopped three times, while loading the Installer-stick - attached you´ll
find pictueres from the sreen:
a. frist interrupt (about 30 sec)
b. second (another 30 sec interrupt - I guess quite normal)
c. third interrupt (a complete stop, after about 10 min I had to do a reset)
d. "CMOS checksum error" (post error - on one of the systems after resetting it - might have
been on the other system, too - I'm not sure)

Before, while doing update/ upgrade installation trials, there were a few bios - password - queries on both systems: I had to reset the bios on both.

PS
I guess, it doesn´t make such a big difference, if I would use Mojave or Catalina, but at least it is: "... youtube.com/watch?v=dhcvbPGyFso - start at: 2:25"

Thanks a lot and stay healthy!

Attachments

• (a. first interrupt)_IMG_0255.jpeg
    (a. first interrupt)_IMG_0255.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 85
  • (b. second interrupt - Catalina)_MG_0256.jpg
    (b. second interrupt - Catalina)_MG_0256.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 109
  • (c. stop)_IMG_0252.jpg
    (c. stop)_IMG_0252.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 104
  • (d. Post error)_IMG_0254.jpg
    (d. Post error)_IMG_0254.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 80
Last edited:
... ok, I guess it's pointless - with Catalina AND the honor.
Mojave's look and feel is very nice, but the CPU performance in combination with my board/ CPU isn't.
I checked the same song in Logic X Pro with two different Mac model definitions in the SMBIOS. Under 11,3 the perfomance was nearly as twice high than under 14,2. It's understandable - the 11,3 definitions are very siliar to the GA-PM55-UD2. Stupidly 11.3 isn't supported under Mojave.

If there is anybody out there, who's got experince about this kind problem or who can tell me, if it would make sense, to define the CPU parameters under Clover, pls. let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Use UniBeast 10 + MultiBeast 12- I tested on a P55M-UD2 system using default Legacy options and it works fine. After you get installed make sure your graphics card is supported- mine wasn't (NVIDIA 9400 GT) so I had to use the Legacy graphics patch as described here.

Good luck!
Hello tonymacx86,

I have been using your site since I first built my Hackintosh back in November 2009 and with the exception of upgrading to an SSD, increasing the RAM and upgrading to a Metal compatible graphics card, my GA-P55-UD2 system has been unmodified and working great since, from Snow Leopard to Mojave!

However I have run into a problem upgrading to Catalina, as detailed here:

I was using the suggested Unibeast 10 + Multibeast 12 option (after I ran into a BIOS reset after trying to upgrade directly to Catalina) and I amt stuck on the "Boot macOS from HDD" step of the upgrade. Could you post your working EFI folder so that I can troubleshoot and see what it is that I am doing wrong? Are you using a DSDT?

Thanks again for providing over a decade of support for the Hackintosh community!

Bruno

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back