Contribute
Register

GA-P55A-UD3 Core i7 860 Success (issues/solutions detailed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte P55A-UD3
CPU
i7-860
Graphics
GTX 260
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey,

I had no major issues dual booting the following system with Mac OSX 10.6.2 Vanilla (Used SL upgrade disk) and Windows 7

Hardware

-GA-P55A-UD3
-Core i7 860
-8GB (4x2GB) Patriot Sector 5 PC3-12800
-BFG GTX 260
-2x1TB Western Digital Green (1 OS on each drive)
-Enermax Modu82+ 625W

Issues/Solutions

Installation
The installation of both operating systems was fairly smooth, the only issue I encountered was when I was choosing my Windows Partition for booting instead of the System Reserved partition (I actually had already re installed windows 7 at this point originally thinking something was setup wrong). Apparently there is a way to get rid of the System Reserved partition but I decided to just leave it.

Audio
At first the onboard sound wasn't being recognized. I just followed the HD Audio Guide http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/12/ ... n-p55.html

More specifically this section of the guide:

"GA-P55-UD3R (ALC 888) owners have reported success using the DSDT.aml HDEF fix combined with replacing the Vanilla AppleHDA.kext with this AppleHDA.kext."

DVD Drive
I purchased the Samsung SH-S223C. It was recognized fine once booted into an OS but it didn't like being booted from. I dont know if it was an issue with the drive itself or a problem across the board with this model. I ended up swapping it with one of the drives at work (it would boot fine from these machines, perhaps an AHCI related issue). The swapped drive was actually same model, just a different version and it worked fine (S223 version F)

Network/Wireless internet
Instead of trying to find a wireless card that would run in both 64 bit Windows and 64 bit OSX I decided to try something a little out of the box. Since my LAN was working fine but my computer was not close enough to the router for a wired solution, I ended purchasing a Linksys WRT160N V3 and flashing it with DD-WRT (at the time of this post must be a V1 or V3 for this solution to work). DD-WRT is a powerful open source router firmware, One of the options it gives you is the ability to create a wireless bridge.

I had some issues at first where the router didn't want to connect to my Apple Airport extreme, It appeared to be something with WPA2 Personal security. I ended up disabling security (Might try enabling just WEP), to avoid anyone just being able to connect I setup mac address filtering through the airport utility. To avoid having to always update the allow list every time I have a friend over who wants to use the Wifi I decided to just enable the guest network. I havent tried yet, but I plan on not broadcasting the SSID for the main wifi connection.

Tuxera NTFS
Since I have a few external drives formatted with NTFS I wanted the ability for Read/Write. When I had first installed Tuxera NTFS I was getting drive issues because I was in 64 bit mode. To get this to work I just enabled hybrid kernel by adding "arch=i386" to my Kernel flags in the boot.plist. Most 64 bit supporting macs use this mode and it can address up to 32GB memory so I dont see this being an issue.

Firewire
I havent dealt with getting firewire working yet. I am looking at purchasing the Startech 1394 PCI Express FireWire Card Adapter (PEX1394B3). This card uses the Agere System FW643 chipset, from what I can find the macbooks used the same chipset for their firewire so I think theres a good chance this card will work fine.

Logic 9 and Presonus Firebox
I havent tried this out yet, thats next on my list after firewire. I dont see there being any issues with since the firebox works fine on my Macbook.

Thats all for today.

Hi,

I almost have the same config than yours (GA-P55A-UD5 instead of GA-P55A-UD3). And like you, onboard firewire is not working. I think it's not related to hardware, because firewire become available when booting without extensions.

I hope fixing the problem soon (that's my homework at the moment !) and it will probably allow you to spare some bucks. If ever someone has a clue ...

my hardware

- GA-P55A-UD5
- Core i7 860
- 4Go RAM G.Skill RipJaws RL DDR3-1600 CL9 (2x2Go)
- GeForce 7950 GX2 (still not fully working, stuck at 1080x768@32)
- 2x500 Go Seagate HDD
- Pioneer DVR-S18LBK
- Seasonic 600W
- Apple USB Keyboard
- Logitech G5 mouse

thelostswede said:
His board (nor does any other UD3 P55 board) doesn't come with onboard Firewire...

Ahem, I thought tjay819 faced to same problem than me and then resolved to buy a PCI firewire card :oops: :oops: :oops:

I will open another thread for the resolution of my problem.

firebox works great on my setup. in windows 7 it was a bit harder to get working as they don't have new drivers for it (as of when i last checked) so you have to use certain legacy drivers. http://youressential.blogspot.com/2009/ ... ndows.html

i don't record in windows 7 so i'm not even sure if it is working properly but it plays audio just fine which is all i need :thumbup:

however, i do not recommend the firebox to anyone who is has not bought one already. the preamps on it are way too weak. it seems like a cost-cutting measure by presonus. i have to run a separate mixer through it just to get my recordings loud enough.

Hi,

Just another message on this thread for you to know that my firewire works now, thanks to a clean install with last boot cd and multibeast. I also disabled serial port in bios, but I don't know if it's related ! I checked my ECHO Audiofire 12 card with Logic Pro : 100% OK :D

Great job tonymacx86 :clap: :clap: :clap:

what steps did you take to install? did you change any bios settings? sleep isnt working for me. if i turn off my monitor i dont get any video when i turn it back on.

The only bios settings I changed were the ones mentioned here (Step 5) http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/11/ ... etail.html

Just today I ran into the sleep issue with video card not turning back on, will be looking for the solution later today.

I still haven't gotten a chance to look at the firewire yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back