Contribute
Register

GA-P55-USB3 USB Support @ Installer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome guide. Helped me fix the "mouse not working problem" and installer not loading problem while installing el capitan for my Ga-h55m-ud2h motherboard

I would add that I had to redo all the EFI stuff on the new installed disk or else it won't boot like on the USB

6. After installation, restart and complete installation. Then redo all the EFI stuff on the EFI particition of the Newly installed El Capitan disk again.

a) Put DSDT.aml on USB drive in /EFI/CLOVER/acpi/patched.
b) edit (using Clover Configurator.app) config.plist which is located on the USB in /EFI/CLOVER.
- On SMBIOS tab, click magic wand and select MacPro3,1.
- On Boot tab, select npci=0x2000 and dart=0.
- On Graphics tab, select Inject NVidia.
- Save and overwrite config.plist.

then
c) run and install Clover_v2.3k_r3270_Legacy.pkg.
d) run and install CustoMac Essentials.pkg.

Only issue I have is imessage

Thanks again!

I know this seems like a dumb question, but when I run unibeast it creates an file structure on /USB to install El Capitan but it also creates another Volume here: /Volumes/ESP/EFI

My question is what do I do with the EFI volume it creates? I've tried just copying the contents of /EFI to the USB but still can't seem to get USB keyboard and mouse to work at the installer on my GA-P55-USB3 using the settings posted earlier.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

When you create USB drive with Unibeast, at Bootloader Options screen must choose Legacy Boot Mode. Your motherboard uses BIOS instead of UEFI (this installs a setup of Clover that has been modified for increased compatibility with older computers).
ub3.png

After testings, i have functional USB 3.0 ports under OS X El Capitan 10.11.4, but unfortunately, sometimes it works and sometimes not.

I downloaded and installed (using KextBeast)) GenericUSBXHCI.kext from https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-generic-usb3/downloads
(RehabMan-Generic-USB3-2014-1016.zip).

Rebooted, but System profiler did NOT show the USB 3.0 port.
I did some speed tests with Disk Speed Test (can be obtained from App Store, it's free).
I started plugging my Kingston DataTraveler HyperX 3.0 into the USB 3.0 port, back in 2.0.

USB 3.0.pngUSB 2.0.pngSystem profiler.png
According with these tests, USB 3.0 clearly working, but, as I said, it does not work constantly. A session can run... then boot again and it may not.:banghead:

UPDATE
OK, I found the trick:

1. When I boot into Mac OS X, must have a USB drive inserted into USB 3.0 port. USB 3.0 will work as it should.

2. If I forgot to insert the USB drive at boot time, it will NOT show up. In this situation, just insert the USB drive into USB 3.0, then put computer to sleep and then wake it up. USB drive will appear on desktop and USB 3.0 will work as desired.

Well, it is not a perfect method, but the price is low.
Discussion thread in which I was inspired can be found HERE.

"For audio, get Clover OS X El Capitan-V5.app from here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/307003-clover-os-x-el-capitan-usb/. "

Searched for many hours for a solution, tried several scripts, kexts and so on for my ALC892, every actual tool/script isn't working, except this one. Just disabled SIP while installing. I'm on 10.11.6.

The plist is also very helpful.

Last edited:
After the latest security update my audio isn't working anymore and the hint as mentioned above doesnt work anymore.

to restore audio functionality (my codec is ALC 892) do the following

1. Restore AppleHDA.kext from el captain boot media (you need the original, otherwise the patch will fail)
2. remove the hidden flag from the file (chflags -R nohidden)
3. use the kext installer of your choice (i was using easykext pro), point to the AppleHDA.kext and install
4. right after that (step 3 require no reboot) excecute the shell script from https://github.com/toleda/audio_CloverALC/blob/master/audio_cloverALC-120.command.zip, use selection 1 (6 Port Audio))
5. reboot

Update from 17-01-09

My system is still up an running with 10.12.2 - the latest update broke my wifi but by applying the known methods as mentioned before everything is fine now.

Update from 17-01-29

still running with 10.12.3 :), even with working iMessage

Update from 17-04-01

still running with 10.12.4 :), even with working iMessage and sound
IMPORTANT: update clover before installing the update

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solved-updated-to-10-12-4-black-screen.217975/

Update from 17-05-28

still running with 10.12.5 :), everything is working fine. Just update clover before doing the system update, dunnoh if it matters or not

Last edited:
HawkXP!!!!

Amazing! Just had to sign in to post a reply!

Thank you so much!

After struggling over the last few weeks to get my main Chimera Yosemite build (GA-H55M-S2H) upgraded to El Capitan (and Clover) this advice is what finally gave me the breakthrough!

Cheers!

Now to try and fix that pesky USB nonsense!

:-D

Hi,

I have a Gigabyte P55A-UD3R rev. 2 (F9 BIOS) and after some struggling, i managed to enable USB ports during install. After El Capitan installation, USB 2.0 ports are working (USB 3.0 works in 2.0 mode). Sleep is working, too.

These are the steps i followed:

1. Create USB drive with Unibeast 6. Choose legacy and inject Nvidia (I have Nvidia GTX470).

2. After USB creation, edit (using Clover Configurator.app) config.plist which is located on the USB in /EFI/CLOVER.
- On SMBIOS tab, click magic wand and select MacPro3,1.
- On Boot tab, select npci=0x2000 and dart=0.
- On Graphics tab, select Inject NVidia.
- Save and overwrite config.plist.

3. Put DSDT.aml on USB drive in /EFI/CLOVER/acpi/patched.

4. Restart.

5. Boot from USB (I inserted my USB drive in a USB 3.0 port). No need to use any other args. I have working keyboard and mouse during install.

6. After installation, restart and completing installation, make sure to put DSDT.aml on El Capitan drive in /EFI/CLOVER/acpi/patched.
- run and install Clover_v2.3k_r3270_Legacy.pkg.
- run and install CustoMac Essentials.pkg.

7. For Edimax EW7711USN:
- install RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext in S/L/E using KextBeast.
- put DWA-140WirelessUtility.prefPane in Library/PreferencePanes.

8. Restart and it's done. USB 2.0 works (USB 3.0 works in 2.0 mode). I have working wireless (through DWA-140 panel).

9. For audio, get Clover OS X El Capitan-V5.app from here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/307003-clover-os-x-el-capitan-usb/. Choose POST then SELECT ONLY ALC889 (from Post Install Driver Kext -> Audio). Make sure to install on El Capitan HDD. Thanks to neophyter http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capitan-desktop-support/174166-usb-issues-4.html#post1115808.
Reboot and audio is working!

I mention again that is working for my mobo, Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3R.

Added my config.plist.
Added kext/prefpane for Edimax EW7711USN (for those in need).

Hope it will help!
Cheers!

Hi, northwinds!
Thank you for your comment!
I'm glad you managed to upgrade to El Capitan.
I'm still struggle with the installation of High Sierra but I was not lucky.:banghead:

You're welcome!

That's bad news re High Sierra! I kind of thought after El Capitan things would be plain sailing for a while! :-/

I'm still stuck with USB 2 issues on my El Capitan build right now though which is giving me a LOT of stress!

Hi, northwinds!
Thank you for your comment!
I'm glad you managed to upgrade to El Capitan.
I'm still struggle with the installation of High Sierra but I was not lucky.:banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back