Classic Mac
  1. Centris
  2. iBook
  3. iMac
  4. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
After more than a week or re-installing (did so about 20 times), trying to get my rig going, I've come to the conclusion that this board and CPU are just too new and will need people that can look at code (I can't) and figure out ways to run it as a hackintosh.

I've tried the Uni/MultiBeast approach. I get the UniBeast to install 10.9.3, but even booting with -x, safe mode, I get about 3 minutes before a system freeze happen. No log, nothing to tell me what's wrong. I had a semi-running system at one point, would only crash if I plugged a USB thing into it. And the HD4600 is not supported yet, I got 1920x1080 but no acceleration so unusable with the apps I need.

I wiped and I tried another way to install, and I was able to get 10.9.3 installed again. I could not find a way to get to the Desktop without -x. Once there, though, I didn't get the system freeze after 3 minutes.... up to 3 hours and no freeze.

I wiped and tried Uni/MultiBeast again, this time, keeping things at a bare minimum with DSDT free, only SMBIOS and bootloader.
No USB, disk, network or graphics kexts. Got to boot to the Desktop with -x and.... system freeze after 3 minutes.

So, MultiBeast is installing something without telling me what it is (guessing under Basic Boot Options, which I can't untick) and it is screwing up something in my setup.

Clearly something's not right here. I tried before, with a well-known board (the one in my name, the P5LD2VM) and it was quite easy as many had ironed out the problems before I got to turn it into a hackintosh.

I wish I could help, I'm ok dealing with software in computers, but I have never learned code and I just copy-paste what I can find on the internet.

I will be taking a step back, and a breather, as this is annoying me to the point of affecting my mood now. I'll look at the progress done, and decide when it's time to come back.

Should you need anything from my setup to test, I'm here. But as for trouble-solving this on my own, I'm done for now. Need to slow down the growth of white hair!

Good luck!

OS X does not support the 9 Series chipset at this time. Expect graphics, audio, etc. not to work.

Thanks!
I figured so, reading all about it over the net.

I will buy a graphic card (wondering if there is a difference for a hackintosh between the gt640 DDR3 2G and the DDR5 1G) and I have a USB audio interface that I will use for that.

My main concern right now is a nasty bug that freezes my whole system whenever I plug in USB (drive, thumb, etc...).

I am re-installing Logic and all my other apps at the moment (for the "n"th time!).

My main concern right now is a nasty bug that freezes my whole system whenever I plug in USB (drive, thumb, etc...).

I am re-installing Logic and all my other apps at the moment (for the "n"th time!).
No question, DDR5.
USB, likely 9 Series issue; new Intel drivers.
Installing resource hungry apps on an unstable platform is not recommended.

Ok, I ordered the DDR5 version just now.
Should have it in a couple of days (no real shops around me).

It's strange because no one with a x97 board has mentioned the USB issue yet.

And the whole reason for getting this hack going is to have more power than my ageing 2008 MBP. I know there will be teething issues, I will have to be VERY patient and expect a few setbacks.

[Fixed] GA-H97N-WIFI and Haswell, 2nd Gen: Not ready yet

USB issue was , I believe, related to my install of HWMonitor, which is not supported yet on series 9 boards.

Also , the newly added "quick fix for HD4600" added in Graphics made my whole system, with a very streamlined set of kexts, running perfectly for more than 24 hours now... and counting. Really, no glitch whatsoever.

In this 24 hours, I plugged and unplugged numerous and different USB items, I've mixed a track in Logic, used Photoshop to take care of some image editing, surfed the net and watched an old movie.

So, as I am typing this on my new hackintosh, I can say: "it's working now!"

Thousand thanks to the community.

[All Good Now] GA-H97N-WIFI and Haswell, 2nd Gen: Not ready yet

Well,

It's been a few weeks and I am really enjoying my build.

I changed my noisy PSU for a nice "Be Quiet" 500W and moved all my components to an Aerocool DS rig.

Installing everything in the Aerocool was probably the easiest I have ever worked with. Rigging everything up was a breeze. I love the compartment design, and the space. best thing, even though some have complained about a little bit of noise, my rig is as quiet as my MBP! The Be Quiet PSU is nearly silent, the big fans in the Aerocool are pretty quiet, now, the biggest noise comes from the HDs! And they are mounted on rubber in the Aerocool box... so pretty stoked about the quietness of it all.

I'm still on USB audio, as the only port working with the ALC892 fix is the back one, but I use a USB audio interface to connect it all.

I'm having some problems with another USB audio interface (Presonus) as it picks up a lot of pops and cracking sounds. I switch to Windows on this rig when I need better audio capture.

So far, a very successful build, with some minor problems.

Attachments

• aerocool-ds-case,E-O-404880-22.jpg
    aerocool-ds-case,E-O-404880-22.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 204
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back