Contribute
Register

GA-H67MA-USB3-D3 / 2500K - Easiest Hackintosh Ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Sandy Bridge Hackintosh
CPU
i5-2500k
Graphics
HD3000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
This has to have been the easiest thing ever. I had waaaaaay more issues when I built a Win7 MCE box two years ago. This took about 3 hours going at a very leisurely pace as I was chatting with my grandad the whole time!

From this:

Untitled by ShadowTD, on Flickr

Gigabyte GA-H67MA-USB3-B3
Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz
Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333MHz
Corsair 120GB Force 3 SSD
LiteOn iHAS124-19 24x DVD±RW
Powercool Modular 550W PSU
D-Link DBT120

To this:

Untitled by ShadowTD, on Flickr

With a minimum of fuss. I updated the BIOS to F4 straight from a USB stick, rebooted with my Sandisk Cruzer 8GB Unibeast (10.7.2, downloaded on my 10.6 MBP). Shortly after the 'choose your volume' screen I was getting a beep and a reboot which was fixed with npci=0x2000 and PCIRootUID=1. Straight in to the installer, format, install (about 4 minutes!), reboot, MultiBeast (very similar options to the Mini, except no SATA kexts, just IOBlockStorageInjector), reboot, new audio kexts from tmx86 and BANG ON. Sleep works fine from the apple menu, but it won't do it itself - no real problem. Even with the new audio kexts, there's still a bit of a pop if you've not been using audio for a while but it's fine for music. External HDD's are forcibly unmounted waking from sleep but I guess that's just one of those things.

Apart from that, this thing is stable and FAST. I've never seen iMovie or iPhoto run like this - if you're considering an SSD at all with current HDD prices, for the love of god do it! Total cost of build: £508. Me: Delighted! Cinebench CPU is 5.18, and a 6870 is on the cards in a couple of months time. The D-Link bluetooth dongle I've had kicking around the cupboard since I had my G4 Cube, and it's got the Mac FW with the wake-from-sleep functionality :D

Oh, and I donated as well. If you've used Unibeast, you sort of should... :headbang:

And as a footnote, my bluetooth keyboard even works with the BIOS which surprised me greatly! On booting in to OSX it whinges about not being able to find the keyboard, but this disappears after you press the spacebar.

Crazy! I see you post this on the 17th Jan 2012 and I too have just performed the same install!! Well almost. Same mobo and CPU. I added 8GB CORSAIR VENGENCE RAM.

However I am noticing one problem where as you say yours works ok. If I sleep the computer when I go to wake it up I don't get any video signal. So I can't confirm if OSX is waking up but just not vid signal, or maybe its just a case of powering on from sleep but nothing is happening.

Did you make any settings for ACPI sleep mode or anything? Or install next? My understanding from using the Macman DSDT files everything should just work.

Or maybe its to do with that I am using MacPro 5.1 system definition???

Also I am using a Gigabyte GeForce 9600GT gfx card.

Curious to know what you or anyone else thinks.

Interesting. Yes, I'm using the Macmini system definition, as it apparently gives best results with Intel HD3000. Have you got a Darkwake=0 in your chameleon plist? Multibeast 1.7 seems to put one there by default.

Thanks for getting back to me.

I just tried moving over to machine 5.1 definition but it still would not wake from sleep. HOWEVER I have made progress. I removed my 9600GT gfx card and plugged into the mobo hdmi socket to make use of the HD3000. And now all is working ok!!! It sleeps and wakes perfectly.

So the problem is to do with my nvidia card (also gigabyte). Need a DSDT edit for my nvidia I guess since I have already tried adding the kernel flag PCIRootUID=1 but it made no different.

I took a quick attempt of adding my nvidia to dsdt (taking a know working edit from my previous PC) but lost signal at login screen. prob got nvcap wrong or something.

Not sure if you know of any kernel flag tricks for sleep issues with nvidia cards?

thanks for your help. appreciate it.

Glad you made the system sleep. I'm afraid that I've not touched discrete graphics on my Hack yet, and when I do I'll be going for one of the easy OOB cards like a 6870 so I've got nothing useful to add, apart from best of luck!

FYI - I got it working! with NVidia card. Had to change one option in BIOS to say enable the onboard video even if external PEG video found (my 9600gt PCIe card). Normally its set to disable onboard video if external PCIe card found.

Also FYI - as far as I am aware my 9600GT is a OOB card. I am currently using the default DSDT from tonymacx86 site again now that I fixed my wake video issue. The default DSDT does not have custom injection code for video cards.

luthepa1 said:
FYI - I got it working! with NVidia card. Had to change one option in BIOS to say enable the onboard video even if external PEG video found (my 9600gt PCIe card). Normally its set to disable onboard video if external PCIe card found.
Wow, just wanted to confirm that this worked for me too. Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3 board, Sapphire 6870 Video card. The setting in the BIOS is called Onboard VGA - was set to 'Enable If No Ext PEG', changing to 'Always Enable' works.

I'll try disconnecting the drive tonight and see if auto sleep works - thanks for that!

<edit> Nope, didn't make any difference

Is there anything that can be done about the forcible USB drive unmount when sleeping? It's become a bit annoying... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back