Motherboard
HP Elitebook 840 G6
CPU
i5-8365U
Graphics
UHD 620
GA-H67MA-USB3-B3 & El Capitan: Please Help, Legacy Boot with Clover not working

HI

I have installed El Capitan on partition 3 of my disk3 following this guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...-el-capitan-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html

I then created a USB Clover test drive in legacy mode and I now have El Capitan properly booting from this USB.

I then installed Clover on my disk3 in the EFI partition using legacy mode, as for the USB stick above, and copied the config from the working USB stick. When I boot and hit F12 to choose my disk3, I just have the "Loading Operating System" message and then a black screen: no quick boot0af line message I have when booting from the USB, nothing. It's stuck, I have to power down to reboot.

My disks are used as follow:
/dev/disk0 : MBR, 1 partition, NTFS and bootable with Windows 64
/dev/disk1 : GUID, NTFS, 1 partiton, not bootable, used to store my Windows Data
/dev/disk2 : GUID, HFS, 1 partition, bootable with Chimera and Mavericks
/dev/disk3 : GUID, HFS, 3 partitions, try to boot with Clover, Mavericks (backup) and El Capitan (test) + Mac Data

I boot Windows by default and hit F12 to boot from disk2 when I want to use MacOS.

Here my Clover Install log file:

Clover EFI installer log - Sun Nov 1 18:07:50 CET 2015
Installer version: v2.3k r3320 EFI bootloader
======================================================
/dev/disk0
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: FDisk_partition_scheme *128.0 GB disk0
1: Windows_NTFS Windows7 128.0 GB disk0s1
/dev/disk1
0: GUID_partition_scheme *3.0 TB disk1
1: Microsoft Reserved 134.2 MB disk1s1
2: Microsoft Basic Data Win7Data 3.0 TB disk1s2
/dev/disk2
0: GUID_partition_scheme *256.1 GB disk2
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk2s1
2: Apple_HFS Mavericks-SSD 255.7 GB disk2s2
/dev/disk3
0: GUID_partition_scheme *2.0 TB disk3
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk3s1
2: Apple_HFS Mavericks 10.9.5 195.8 GB disk3s2
3: Apple_HFS El Capitan 10.11.1 195.3 GB disk3s3
4: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk3s4
5: Apple_HFS MacData 1.6 TB disk3s5
Backing up EFI files

Backing up stage2 file /Volumes/El Capitan 10.11.1/EFIROOTDIR/boot to /Volumes/El Capitan 10.11.1/EFI-Backups/r3292/2015-11-01-18h07/boot
Backing up /Volumes/El Capitan 10.11.1/EFIROOTDIR/EFI folder to /Volumes/El Capitan 10.11.1/EFI-Backups/r3292/2015-11-01-18h07/EFI
No Active Partition

Stage 0 - Writting boot0af to /dev/disk3
/Volumes/El Capitan 10.11.1/usr/local/bin/fdisk440 -u -f /Volumes/El Capitan 10.11.1/usr/standalone/i386/boot0af -y /dev/disk3

Stage 1 - Writting boot1f32 to /dev/rdisk3s1
dd if=/dev/rdisk3s1 count=1 bs=512 of=/tmp/origbs
boot volume format is FAT32
cp /tmp/boot1f32 /tmp/newbs
dd if=/tmp/origbs of=/tmp/newbs skip=3 seek=3 bs=1 count=87 conv=notrunc
dd if=/tmp/newbs of=/dev/rdisk3s1

Stage 2 - Written boot6 (x64) to /Volumes/ESP/boot

Theme 'tonymacx86' (defined in config.plist) not found !
Using default theme 'embedded'
=========== Clover EFI Installation Finish ===========

What's wrong ?

Thanks

Please put your specific motherboard model in the system configuration area to the left. I would give you different advice depending on which board you're using, and "Mac Mini 2011" doesn't tell me anything.

Please put your specific motherboard model in the system configuration area to the left. I would give you different advice depending on which board you're using, and "Mac Mini 2011" doesn't tell me anything.

It's in the title and in my signature: Gigabyte GA-H67MA-USB3-B3 rev1 Bios F8, i5-3550, Asus GT520 1Go

Thanks

Up

No one to help ?

Thanks

Hmmm. This sounds like exactly the same problem, that I have installing clover on an older version of the gigabyte boards.
I didn't try it yet, but I just read on some different thread that someone solved it by switching off usb 3 in their bios.
Will try that tomorrow, but if you do so in the meantime, I'd appreciate your feedback.

Hmmm. This sounds like exactly the same problem, that I have installing clover on an older version of the gigabyte boards.
I didn't try it yet, but I just read on some different thread that someone solved it by switching off usb 3 in their bios.
Will try that tomorrow, but if you do so in the meantime, I'd appreciate your feedback.

Ok, tried to disable USB3 with no change: when I hit F12 and select my disk3, juste after the top screen message "Loading Operating System..." dissapear, the screen goes black and the cursor blink 2/3 second, I can see ht PC is accessing the disks (see the led being red), so I guess it search something, then it stopped and I need to power off.

When I boot on USB, it does work and after "Loading Operating System...", I can see "b1f: Init5" before it display the Clover menu.

So why I do not have the b1f: Init5 message ?

The only difference I can see is that my hard disk was already partitioned and that there are 3 partitions + EFI one, while on the stick there is only one. Is the issue that MBR boot code do not find the EFI partition ?

I spent more time to understand.

using legacy bios, the sequence will be (from Clover WIKI):
Option A: BIOS-based PC (old motherboards)
BIOS>MBR>PBR>boot>CLOVERX64.efi>OSLoader

According to this I should install «boot» in MBR sector:
boot0 - searches for an active partition in the MBR and passes control to its PBR sector. Hybrid GPT/MBR layout is possible. However if the filesystem is pure GPT, boot0 passes control to the EFI partition, further referred to as boot0af (active first).

Then in the PBR Sector of the EFI partition: Partition Boot Record (PBR) is a boot sector located in the beginning of each partition on a storage device. The phase two loader is stored here. PBR has the information of its partition's file system and may find and load the boot file and pass the control to it.
So I should install «boot1f32» - supports FAT32. This file system is able to be written at the booting stage thus very well suited for boot loader installation. It is possible to use it as a EFI partition or on a USB flash drive (USB sticks are usually sold pre-formatted in FAT32).

If I look at the Clover_Install_Log.txt file, I have boot0af installed on MBR and boot1f32 installed on PBR of the EFi one, so everything should be fine !

What I do not understand is where does it hangs: at MBR or PBR level ?

As it works from my USB test stick, I know it could work.

So is the problem that the boot from MBR do not find the EFI partition ? Or that the PBR cannot launch boot and start clover ?

Thanks for your help.

My MB is GA-H67MA-USB3-B3

1. Install El Capitan
2. Bott from USB and install Clover as shown in Figure
1.png
3. Reboot and boot from USB and install essential kexts from El Capitan Post-Install Tools

My USB3 works
Screen Shot 2015-11-09 at 16.33.03.png
Everything works except

1. Audio
2. Sleep

EDIT: Audio work :-D

Ok, spend some time today for tests.

I have marked EFI partition as active as apparently it solve an issue quite similar: http://www.tonymacx86.com/bios-uefi/173830-clover-efi-bios-boot-no-bootable-device-solution.html
But I saw No change.

I have reformated the EFI partition on disk3 as FAT32, was not sure it was already the case or not but I did it, re-installed Clover but still no change.

Then I have disconnected disk0 (the one booting Windows) and Bingo, I have the attached menu !

So apparently, there is a conflict with the disk0 and the active Windows partition. How can I fix this ?

I also notice this is very very very slow before it display this menu, compared to Chimera.

Small progress today!

In the menu, I have:
Boot Windows from Legacy HD2: this is my Disk1 with Windows DATA: how can I remove this entry from the menu ?
Boot Clover from EFI: do not know what this is entry is. If I try, I've got 2 messages, b1F : init then b1f: error and I need to reboot
Boot mac OS X from Mavericks 10.9.5: not tested yet as I have to copy the kexts for 10.9 in Clover
Boot mac OS X from El Capitan 10.11.1: it works as from my USB stick.

Any idea on the remaining issue as when puting by my Windows disk, it stops woking. Thanks

Attachments

• Clover Menu PCT.jpg
    Clover Menu PCT.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 358
I wonder if everything would work better if OS X was on a disk formatted MBR. With Clover and Windows both legacy installs on MBR, BIOS set to boot Legacy only, etc.

Also, I'm not sure how you did the post-install. The H67 guide here recommends using the post-install Clover Legacy - Root installer, or gives specific settings if you install from the Clover distribution.

I'm sorry, I still don't quite get why things are working with clover as they do. So you could try to connect your windows hd to a different controller or user fdisk to remove the primary flag from the windows partition or stuff like that...

For me, disabling USB 3 did work somehow, nevertheless I cannot boot the installer. In verbose mode, it seems to stop at initializing some USB port(s) with a strange message: resetGated and enumberation failed. It then retries this with double timeouts until timeout reaches 6400ms. Then it displays a "no parking" sign (without the P ;)) and stops doing anything.

Does anybody have a hint on that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back