Contribute
Register

GA H67MA USB3-B-3 (newer video card compatibility)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA H67MA USB3
CPU
i5 2320
Graphics
HD 6870
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

I've had this set up for around 3 years. What newer video cards would be compatible with this set up? Thanks!
Running Yosemite

GA H67MA USB3-B-3
i5 2320
Radeon HD 6870 (3 monitor setup using active Display port adapter)
16gb Gskill Memory

The latest compatible cards are listed in the buyers guide. Most of these will require nVidia drivers to be installed:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/building-customac-buyers-guide-august-2015.html#Graphics_Cards

You may want to use this to provide some idea of graphics performance in relation to your 6870 card. http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...-july-2015-hierarchy-chart-toms-hardware.html

AMD cards can be used - but you will need to either use clover or move your boot loader and extra folder to the EFI partition of your boot drive. AMD have not been running multiple monitors all that well. Suggest that you employ the use of the search facility to quickly find the relevant information for your use.

e.g.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/search.php?googleSearch=R9 280X

Thanks Adrian B!

I've never used an Nvida card as this is my first and only setup. If I used one of these cards, would I still be able to use 3 monitors?
As of now, I use the display port adapter and I had change the framebuffer to Kudzu to get the 3 working but my card reads 6xxx.

Thanks Adrian B!

I've never used an Nvida card as this is my first and only setup. If I used one of these cards, would I still be able to use 3 monitors?

To the best of my knowledge using multiple digital monitors (2-3) with these nVidia cards is not an issue. You will want to be running Yosemite 10.10.5 with the additional drivers for the card to function as Apple are still using the same drivers from 10.8.5 for nVidia!

There is a new GTX 950 arriving to market on August 20th 2015 - this will replace the GTX 750Ti. Apple should have new iMac models out around September/October? This might end up being a little closer to November. My point is that if you must update now then see what suits your requirements best.

If you would prefer native OS X support then the GTX 760 runs OTB and does not need additional drivers. You can often still pick these up new, but there are many good examples available on eBay/Craigslist etc. The GTX 760 is really just plug and play. The other option is just to hang on with what you have until we see were Apple is going with graphics options available on new Macs.

As of now, I use the display port adapter and I had change the framebuffer to Kudzu to get the 3 working but my card reads 6xxx.

That is just cosmetic - it does not have any effect on the cards performance.

This means that your injection of a framebuffer actually did not work, which is a good thing in your case, because Kudzu only supports 2 connectors. ;)

Thanks for the replies!

hey guys,

need to ask if this card is ok for my setup?
Gigabyte GTX 950 Xtreme OC 2gb

it's available where i'm at (philippines). thanks for any advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back